Tilden vs. Blaine 1876
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:25:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Tilden vs. Blaine 1876
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tilden vs. Blaine 1876  (Read 1352 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2010, 07:45:30 PM »
« edited: February 13, 2010, 02:36:26 PM by Рошамбо »

Tilden-299 EV
Blaine-70 EV

Maybe this map is a little too favorable towards Tilden, but Tilden would easily defeat Blaine since Tilden would be considered a reformer and an honest politician while Blaine would have large accusations of corruption against him.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »

Blaine would maintain his innocence throughout the campaign (he was a Half-breed) and softens the blow. It hurts him a little, but a little is all it takes to swing things into Tilden's favor in 1876.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2010, 02:35:21 PM by Рошамбо »

Blaine would maintain his innocence throughout the campaign (he was a Half-breed) and softens the blow. It hurts him a little, but a little is all it takes to swing things into Tilden's favor in 1876.

All my map was is a 2% swing to Tilden nationwide. I don't think that this is too unrealistic. Thus, many states that Hayes won with less than 4.00% swing to Tilden. Also, I think that Tilden would win WI, PA, CA, and OR if he would also win IL since he lost Illinois by a greater percentage than he lost those other four states.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 09:07:47 AM »

All my map was is a 2% swing to Tilden nationwide. I don't think that this is too unrealistic. Thus, many states that Hayes won with less than 4.00% swing to Tilden. Also, I think that Tilden would win WI, PA, CA, and OR if he would also win IL since he lost Illinois by a greater percentage than he lost those other four states.
Didn't know it was law for states to vote together. Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 09:38:19 AM »

Somebody should inform Alabama and Mississippi.  They've been doing it since 1844.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »

Somebody should inform Alabama and Mississippi.  They've been doing it since 1844.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:41:18 AM »

In fact, 1840 was the only time they didn't.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 09:46:06 AM »

Please don't empty-quote me in future.  Thank you.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 10:23:46 AM »

Please don't empty-quote me in future.  Thank you.
sorry.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 03:25:01 PM »

I'm just saying I think that a swing of 2% nationwide will be roughly evenly distributed. It might not have been, but that does not change my point that Tilden would still win. Still, was Blaine really unpopular in IL or what? Hayes won the state by 3.5%, yet you have it going for Tilden while you have states that voted for Hayes by narrower margins going to Blaine.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »

I'm just saying I think that a swing of 2% nationwide will be roughly evenly distributed. It might not have been, but that does not change my point that Tilden would still win. Still, was Blaine really unpopular in IL or what? Hayes won the state by 3.5%, yet you have it going for Tilden while you have states that voted for Hayes by narrower margins going to Blaine.
Different people are strong in different states. Roll Eyes I don't see what's so hard to get about that.  Granted the politics of 1876 are different than 2008, but come on.
James L. Buckley
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 09:16:23 PM »

Hopefully, James Blaine would win.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:17:27 PM »

Why would you favor Blaine over Tilden?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 09:20:38 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
James L. Buckley
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 09:25:56 PM »

Samuel Tilden was a racist corrupt hypocrite. His legacy of being a 'Reformer' is largely exaggerated.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 09:28:05 PM »

Ah yes and Blaine is sooo uncorrupt.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 09:32:12 PM »

Samuel Tilden was a racist corrupt hypocrite. His legacy of being a 'Reformer' is largely exaggerated.

Tilden broke up the Tweed Ring and fought against the corruption in Tammany Hall. Considering that the govt. was pretty incative back then, I think that those were admirable actions. I would like to see some explicit quotes from him indicating his racism, because I never saw any so far.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 09:34:10 PM »

Tilden was acquitted of all charges against him I believe. Besides, he was a Bourbon Democrat, fought for low taxes.
James L. Buckley
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 09:37:23 PM »

Tilden broke up the Tweed Ring and fought against the corruption in Tammany Hall. Considering that the govt. was pretty incative back then, I think that those were admirable actions. I would like to see some explicit quotes from him indicating his racism, because I never saw any so far.

I'm guessing you've never heard of the Cypher Dispatches?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »

I'm guessing you've never heard of the Cypher Dispatches?

All right, that was something wrong that he did. However, Hayes and Blaine weren't saints either. Hayes allowed the GOP chairs in LA, SC, and FL to manipulate the election results in his favor, and Blaine had his own fair share of corruption scandals.

Also, as Dallasfan previously pointed out, Tilden was cleared of all accusations involving the Cypher Dispatches.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies