Am I "Good" or "Evil"?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Gabu:
Everyone does both good and evil actions, but I don't consider anyone evil as a person.

John Dibble:
Quote from: Gabu on October 24, 2004, 08:08:37 PM

Everyone does both good and evil actions, but I don't consider anyone evil as a person.

Not even Hitler?

Gabu:
Quote from: John Dibble on October 24, 2004, 10:24:02 PM

Quote from: Gabu on October 24, 2004, 08:08:37 PM

Not even Hitler?

I'm probably going to get a lot of flak for this, but no.  An evil person would be one who simply naturally does evil things for no reason whatsoever.  I don't believe that people are born evil; I believe that people are tilted to doing evil actions through negative events that occurred as they were growing up.  If Hitler had been loved and cared for by, say, Jews as he grew up, had been born today rather than when he was, and had had a positive upbringing, would he still have been who we remember him as?  I doubt it.  He would have been a completely different person.  I have heard that one's personality is dictated by roughly 10% genetics and 90% environment.  Remember, the other profession he enjoyed was art, which was a rather different tune for him.

Does this mean that I don't think people who do evil things shouldn't be dealt with?  No, of course not.  I think Hitler was insane and did more evil things than he could ever make up for if given a million years.  The move to defeat Hitler was a very morally just move.

However, do I think Hitler was evil as a person?  No.  He was a person whose environment turned him into a very hate-filled person and which led him to do innumerable evil actions.

I suppose it depends on what you define "evil person" as.  If an evil person is simply one who does evil actions, then yes, Hitler was evil.  I define "evil person" differently, however.

minionofmidas:
Well, "good" or "evil" are too absolute for me...
on-topic posts: often very thoughtful, very good
on-person posts: way too many, with too little provocation

freedomburns:
Mum! Dad!  Don't touch it, it's evil!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page