Vicar tells wives to 'submit to their husbands'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:07:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Vicar tells wives to 'submit to their husbands'
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Vicar tells wives to 'submit to their husbands'  (Read 3578 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »

the quickest way to get on a woman’s bad side is to abuse her, but the quickest way to get on a man’s bad side is to disrespect him.  

I find it quite the other way around.

"abuse" was probably not the best word choice, I was looking for a word meaning a combination of "not loving" and "treating harshly"...basically the man is suppose to give the woman respect as the weaker vessel, kinda like how you would favor and treat tenderly a shoulder that has been injured...or like a man treats a woman when he first starts to date her, being careful and respectful to her and making her feel like she is at the top of his priority list.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 05:01:18 PM »

"Christ submit to the Church..."  Thanks for pulling that stupid argument out of your ass.  I don't know what I would have said that even came close to implying that was what I meant.  Of course, in your view, I'm Catholic, so I believe in the Church above Christ, right?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 05:14:03 PM »

the quickest way to get on a woman’s bad side is to abuse her, but the quickest way to get on a man’s bad side is to disrespect him.  

"abuse" was probably not the best word choice, I was looking for a word meaning a combination of "not loving" and "treating harshly"...basically the man is suppose to give the woman respect as the weaker vessel, kinda like how you would favor and treat tenderly a shoulder that has been injured...or like a man treats a woman when he first starts to date her , being careful and respectful to her and making her feel like she is at the top of his priority list.

Give her whatever she wants until she "submits?"
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 05:39:37 PM »

"abuse" was probably not the best word choice, I was looking for a word meaning a combination of "not loving" and "treating harshly"...basically the man is suppose to give the woman respect as the weaker vessel, kinda like how you would favor and treat tenderly a shoulder that has been injured...or like a man treats a woman when he first starts to date her , being careful and respectful to her and making her feel like she is at the top of his priority list.

no, it doesn't mean to continually shower her with expensive gifts, but it does mean to remain a gentlemen even after you've won her heart.  If you've injured your left shoulder, you don't treat it as harshly as you do the right shoulder; rather you treat it with care and gentleness and make sure not to bump it on the doorway as you go through a door.  That is what is meant by:

1Pet 3:7 “7Likewise, you husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honor unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; so that your prayers will not be hindered..”

That doesn’t mean the woman is as fragile as a paper doll, but it does mean she is not to be treated lackadaisically as you would a hardened pair of pliers.  And notice the verse even carries a warning – treat your wife harshly and God may not listen to your prayers.  That’s pretty scary!
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 05:40:39 PM »

"Christ submit to the Church..."  Thanks for pulling that stupid argument out of your ass.  I don't know what I would have said that even came close to implying that was what I meant.  Of course, in your view, I'm Catholic, so I believe in the Church above Christ, right?

First, I never mentioned any sect or sects of Christianity, that's something you like to do.    Just look at this thread:  you are the one who made a reference to evangelicals and you are the one who just made a reference to you being Catholic.   You don’t even realize that you’re the one pointing your finger at other sects while at the same time claiming to be mocked for being a Catholic.  Not only are you the aggressor, but you’re also paranoid.  So, let's get that out of the way.

Second, what I was saying is if "submit to one another" is to be interpreted that there is no hierarchy of authority between a husband and a wife, then it must also mean that their is no hierarchy of authority between kids and parents, between Christ and the church, etc, etc...because all of those examples follow the context of "submit to one another out of reverence to Christ".

So, obviously, "submit to one another out of reverence to Christ" is NOT to be interpreted to mean that there is no hierarchy of authority; rather it means that we are to submit to the hierarchy of authority out of reverence to Christ
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 07:14:40 PM »

no, it doesn't mean to continually shower her with expensive gifts, but it does mean to remain a gentlemen even after you've won her heart.  If you've injured your left shoulder, you don't treat it as harshly as you do the right shoulder; rather you treat it with care and gentleness and make sure not to bump it on the doorway as you go through a door.  That is what is meant by:

1Pet 3:7 “7Likewise, you husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honor unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; so that your prayers will not be hindered..”

That doesn’t mean the woman is as fragile as a paper doll, but it does mean she is not to be treated lackadaisically as you would a hardened pair of pliers.  And notice the verse even carries a warning – treat your wife harshly and God may not listen to your prayers.  That’s pretty scary!

I was making fun of most men's intentions when they take a woman out, but whatever.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 08:08:23 PM »

I was making fun of most men's intentions when they take a woman out, but whatever.

sorry, bud
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »

The New Testament is offensive to many Christians

I take it you don't believe in equality of the sexes.

In terms of eternal inheritance?  Yes, of course I do.  

In terms of this life?  No, not at all.  But not in terms of superiority, rather in terms that the two different sexes are just that - different.  The sexes are made differently and are influenced and motivated differently:  the quickest way to get on a woman’s bad side is to abuse her, but the quickest way to get on a man’s bad side is to disrespect him.  

That is why it is written:

1Pet 3:1 “Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.”

The surest way to harden a man’s heart is to confront him with a power struggle, but the quickest way to soften him up is to show respect.  Men understand this and naturally treat their male friends with respect.  Women on the other hand are more motivated by emotional bonds and the love shown to them.

Again, this dichotomy is illustrated in the following verse:

Eph 5:33 “Each one of you [husbands] must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.”

That is not a statement of inferiority, nor is it saying the wife doesn't have to love her husband, nor is it saying the husband doesn't have to respect his wife....rather it is a statement reflecting the different motivational needs – it is telling the husband how to best meet the needs of his wife and it is telling the wife how to best meet the needs of her husband.  In other words, women are willing to follow leadership if they are loved, and men are willing to love if their leadership is trusted.

Women thrive first and foremost on love and men thrive first and foremost on respect.  That’s self-evident and not just in relationships between male and female, but also in male-bonding and in female-bonding.

The male-female generalizations may be true some of the time, but religious law does not recognize difference within each gender (i.e. that some women are more assertive than some men, etc.) and encourages people to follow gender roles instead of doing what's best for themselves and others. Thanks to the Religious Right, men who aren't ultra-masculine (and women who aren't ultra-feminine) are tormented and unnaturally forced to conform to their gender role.

What the Bible says (or doesn't say) is not an excuse for the oppression of women. Religious law has been used to defend slavery and deny the earth being round, when science and human rights agreements have run contrary.

It is unfortunate that using religious scripture to justify the oppression of women, is still mainstream. Were someone to argue for the subjugation of any racial/ethnic group (even if they could prove it was under literal religious law), their claim would be far more marginalized.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies