Guardian writer calls for Bush assassination..
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:07:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Guardian writer calls for Bush assassination..
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Guardian writer calls for Bush assassination..  (Read 24323 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2004, 03:55:23 AM »

The IRA and related separatist/nationalist type terrorists, dispicable as they are, do not target children.

Not true. Children were targeted in the Omagh bombing

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No... the mob waits 'till the kids leave school before attacking them

Children were murdered and mutilated in the Omagh bombing, and several others. Children were terrorised by Loyalist Nutters outside a school in North Belfast only a few years ago. Petrol bombs were thrown.

True

The Dublin and Omagh Bombings disagree with this

Mad Dog Adair did/does. The Real IRA does. ETA does.

And radical Loyalist, Republican, Basque...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2004, 04:15:59 AM »

Now that would be a world about as far removed as yours.
No, that's not true. That'd be quite a frigging lot further, even. Thank God nobody in Europe lives on that world. (Many people in Arabia do, though.)
Quote your recent history fella. Gigantic outcry in the Euro left, not a peep from your president's father.

And now maybe let's all stand back and cool down, allright?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2004, 08:39:01 AM »

The only terrorism in the British Isles are the British and their terrible history of repressing the Irish. Disgusting.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2004, 08:42:18 AM »

The only terrorism in the British Isles are the British and their terrible history of repressing the Irish. Disgusting.

That's no way to refer to America's staunchest allies! Yes, the British were rather ruthless in Ireland.

Dave
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2004, 08:50:35 AM »

That's no way to refer to America's staunchest allies! Yes, the British were rather ruthless in Ireland.

Dave

I don't blame the everday british person for the brutality in Ireland. I blame the government. Most brits I know are cool.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2004, 09:23:11 AM »

Dave

I don't blame the everday british person for the brutality in Ireland. I blame the government. Most brits I know are cool.

Actually most brutality in Ireland is Irish people killing other Irish people...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2004, 09:40:59 AM »

Dave

Actually most brutality in Ireland is Irish people killing other Irish people...

Care to discuss the Irish Potatoe Famine? The British COULD have fed the Irish.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2004, 09:47:29 AM »

Dave

Wasn't there a really long discussion on the Potato Famine a while back?
Basically the result of letting ideology getting mixed up into famine relief...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2004, 11:28:13 AM »

Dave

By many scholarly accounts, the Irish could have fed the Irish.  Grain was exported from Ireland during the famine.  The blame for the famine lies with C. Trevelyan, Lord John Russell and other political economists who saw the famine as a good way to reform Ireland's backward economy.  Malthusian and Utilitarian philosophy run amok. The blame also lies with Irish and Anglo-Irish merchant classes who exported grain for greater profits to Britain.  Also blame lies with the absentee landords who evicted starving people off of the land.  Ireland's loss was Americas gain because the famine immigrants had a large role in building this country.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2004, 11:59:35 AM »

Dave

By many scholarly accounts, the Irish could have fed the Irish.  Grain was exported from Ireland during the famine.  The blame for the famine lies with C. Trevelyan, Lord John Russell and other political economists who saw the famine as a good way to reform Ireland's backward economy.  Malthusian and Utilitarian philosophy run amok. The blame also lies with Irish and Anglo-Irish merchant classes who exported grain for greater profits to Britain.  Also blame lies with the absentee landords who evicted starving people off of the land.  Ireland's loss was Americas gain because the famine immigrants had a large role in building this country.

Like I said, ideology got in the way of famine relief.
Interesting that two big waves of immigrants to the U.S were the result of Rural crisis (Enclosures in the C18th and the Potato Famine in the C19th).
shankbear

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2004, 12:20:49 PM »

hey I have always been curious about all those people dying during the potato famine.  Isn't Ireland an island?  Isn't an island surrounded by water?  Aren't there fish in the water?  Don't people eat fish?  Why did they starve?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2004, 02:52:16 PM »

hey I have always been curious about all those people dying during the potato famine.  Isn't Ireland an island?  Isn't an island surrounded by water?  Aren't there fish in the water?  Don't people eat fish?  Why did they starve?

http://www.rootsweb.com/~irker/famfish.html
decent explanation.

Fishing is a pretty labour intenstive process.  You need large boats (timber not available), nets, and capital to pay for these implements.  A tenant farmer akin to sharecropper did not have the implements to fish with.  You could not just scoop a fish out of the ocean.  Cod and other fish of the North Atlantic are in deep, cold ocean waters.  Seaweed and kelp were accesible and a large part of the diet.  Inland and freshwater fishing were usually illegal.  As was case in Scotland and England you were considered poaching if you fished or hunted on the landlords land.  Further, the famine did not effect the whole of Ireland equally.  Ulster/Northern Ireland and Dublin area did not suffer like the West because they had a more diversified economy.  The famine affected the rural, tenant/substistence farmers most notably on the West Coast.- the reason why most Irish Catholic American trace their ancestry to W. Ireland notably Kerry, Cork, Limerick, Clare, Mayo, and Galway.
shankbear

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2004, 04:25:40 PM »

Thanks Patrick, I had always wondered about that. 
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2004, 10:21:09 PM »

Now that would be a world about as far removed as yours.
No, that's not true. That'd be quite a frigging lot further, even. Thank God nobody in Europe lives on that world. (Many people in Arabia do, though.)

I still think I'm closer to reality...and I agree about Arabia.

Quote your recent history fella. Gigantic outcry in the Euro left, not a peep from your president's father.[/quote]

Didn't know about that from the Euro left...last I knew of them in that time period was their screaming over the U.S. bombing of Libya. Live and learn. But I know all about G.H.W. Bush and his three separate betrayals of the Kurds...nasty business, that.

NO! GRRR! SNARL! HISS! SNAP! SCREAM! FLAME! ROAR!...

...oh, all right. Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2004, 10:27:41 PM »

Why can't we use this thread for something productive, like running down the French?

:-)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2004, 10:39:10 PM »

Withdrawing from the world and letting you all deal with the consequences of your own actions is hardly jingoistic. Quite the reverse.

If only it could be done.  It would be really nice if we could do it, but until Europe wakes up and is willing to fight this war, we have no choice.

I'm glad we have an administration that isn't going to wait for a mushroom cloud to get serious.  Hence my endorsement of Bush on Individual Politics.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2004, 10:45:09 PM »

Withdrawing from the world and letting you all deal with the consequences of your own actions is hardly jingoistic. Quite the reverse.

If only it could be done.  It would be really nice if we could do it, but until Europe wakes up and is willing to fight this war, we have no choice.

I'm glad we have an administration that isn't going to wait for a mushroom cloud to get serious.  Hence my endorsement of Bush on Individual Politics.

One can dream, ya know...

I read it - very interesting! Did you look at the thread where I posted my actual vote? I have an explanation for all my votes...

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=10996.15

You might have convinced me to change my vote if you hadn't waited so long...not definitely, but maybe. Wink + Tongue
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2004, 10:47:41 PM »

There is one group of terrorists from whom we see this again, and again, and again: radical Islamic terrorists.

And radical Loyalist, Republican, Basque...

Well, just because there are other groups that are also bad doesn't detract from my point: radical Islam is the source of unspeakable hatred and disregard for human dignity.  We see the same theme over and over again: Sudan, Chechnya, Kashmir, Serbia, Indonesia... NONE of these places has anything to do with the United States, Israel, or Western "imperialism."  What all of these places have in common is radical Islam's desire to take over the world and subject it to Taliban-style absolute religious rule, strictly adhering to the Koran.  They hate all "infidels" and believe that any means to accomplish the spreading of the faith is justified by Allah.  Any sane liberal person, whether Muslim, Jew, Christian, Buddhist, or atheist, should abhor this, and should be doing everything in his power to stop it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies