Nixon or Reagan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:42:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Nixon or Reagan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Nixon or Reagan  (Read 9634 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 06:26:33 PM »

Reagan.

He has more in common with Rocky and Rambo, haha.

Reagan said that tress cause pollution and that the poor enjoy being homeless.

Obama said that there are 57 states and that there is an Austrian language.

So he made some stupid remarks. All presidents do that, Rochambeau.

Also, Reagan cared squat about ordinary Americans. Unlike Nixon, he only cared about the rich. Also he was the most fiscally irresponsible President in American history up to that point, despite being a self-declared fiscal conservative.

Oh please. Rochambeau, you are just reciting old leftist lines. Dedicate your slanted and biased views to other causes.

The truth hurts, doesn't it? While I'm telling the truth, 80% of our national debt was accumulated under Reagan and both Bushes.

I'm talking about him hating the poor and the middle class, my friend.

Well, Reagan increased taxes on them after giving them a tax cut, while allowing his tax cuts for the rich to remain in place. I'm sure the rich didn't need their taxes to be massive reduced from 70% to 28%. Also, Reagan began the process of allowing millions of American jobs to be outsourced to developing countries. Whose jobs do you think were taken? Certainly not those of the rich.

That is entirely different then "hating" the poor and middle class. "Hate" is a strong word, my friend, and the notion that he sat in his office professing his hatred for the lower classes is simply laughable.

I never used the word "hate" to describe Reagan's attitutde towards ordinary Americans. That was NiK.

You've done it before, or used words similar to hate.

Giovanni specifically used the word "hate", which I did not use here nor anywhere else in regards to Reagan, I believe.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 06:28:46 PM »

Reagan.

He has more in common with Rocky and Rambo, haha.

Reagan said that tress cause pollution and that the poor enjoy being homeless.

Obama said that there are 57 states and that there is an Austrian language.

So he made some stupid remarks. All presidents do that, Rochambeau.

Also, Reagan cared squat about ordinary Americans. Unlike Nixon, he only cared about the rich. Also he was the most fiscally irresponsible President in American history up to that point, despite being a self-declared fiscal conservative.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2010, 06:37:53 PM »

Apparently Rochambeau is too busy to defend the war criminal record of his hero, Richard Nixon, so I'll bump my post back up for him to see it.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2010, 06:54:23 PM »

Apparently Rochambeau is too busy to defend the war criminal record of his hero, Richard Nixon, so I'll bump my post back up for him to see it.

I already saw that numerous times, Giovanni. I know that this is tragic, but blame this on the Viet Cong since they were hdiing there and using it as a base to attack U.S. troops. Nixon did what he needed to do--protect American citizens/soldeirs in Vietnam, even if it produced some tragic consequences. However, Nixon did do a lot of other good thigs and thus I would consider him to be a great or very good President without Watergate.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2010, 07:33:46 PM »

I already saw that numerous times, Giovanni. I know that this is tragic, but blame this on the Viet Cong since they were hdiing there and using it as a base to attack U.S. troops. Nixon did what he needed to do--protect American citizens/soldeirs in Vietnam, even if it produced some tragic consequences. However, Nixon did do a lot of other good thigs and thus I would consider him to be a great or very good President without Watergate.

Were those "good thigs" worth the lives of hundreds of thousands of American and Vietnamese lives?

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2010, 09:58:51 PM »

Reagan.
His tax cuts for the better off may have gone a bit too far, but on balance they helped revive our economy. He had commitment to expanding human freedom. Of course this commitment wasn't carried out anywhere near perfectly, but I'm not sure its something Nixon even believed in ultimately. Nixon can't be blamed for Vietnam, but you can't just brush aside the carpet-bombing of Cambodia or Watergate because they reveal too much about the nature of his presidency.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »

Reagan.
His tax cuts for the better off may have gone a bit too far, but on balance they helped revive our economy. He had commitment to expanding human freedom. Of course this commitment wasn't carried out anywhere near perfectly, but I'm not sure its something Nixon even believed in ultimately. Nixon can't be blamed for Vietnam, but you can't just brush aside the carpet-bombing of Cambodia or Watergate because they reveal too much about the nature of his presidency.

No, Volcker raising interest rates to record-high levels was what revived the economy. Also, Reagan just talked tough rhetoric about promoting human freedom, but in reality he did squat about it. He essentially continued Nixon's policies, only with tougher rhetoric. BTW, Reagan was a crook as well--remember Iran-Contra? He just did a better job of destroying the evidence than Nixon.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »

Reagan.

No, Volcker raising interest rates to record-high levels was what revived the economy. Also, Reagan just talked tough rhetoric about promoting human freedom, but in reality he did squat about it. He essentially continued Nixon's policies, only with tougher rhetoric. BTW, Reagan was a crook as well--remember Iran-Contra? He just did a better job of destroying the evidence than Nixon.

If your definition of freedom includes Sandinista and 70% tax rates I can see why you wouldn't like Reagan.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2010, 02:42:58 PM »

Reagan of course...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2010, 10:03:55 AM »

Reagan.  Nixon expanded the role of government, was weak on national defense, and you had Watergate.

The only thing I approved of really was the opening with China.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2010, 12:22:07 PM »

Reagan.  Nixon expanded the role of government, was weak on national defense, and you had Watergate.

I seriously doubt Nixon was weak on national defense or that Reagan was really much stronger in this department. Also, Iran-Contra occured under Reagan, and he would have likely been impached and removed from office for it had he not destroyed all the evidence implicating him in this scandal.
James L. Buckley
Rookie

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »

Ronald Reagan, easily.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2010, 11:31:48 PM »

The Reaganator
James Rivington
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 3.43

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2010, 06:41:59 AM »

Richard Nixon, obviously the better of two evils..
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2010, 07:25:22 AM »

Nixon, despite everything.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2010, 11:34:21 AM »

I seriously doubt Nixon was weak on national defense or that Reagan was really much stronger in this department. Also, Iran-Contra occured under Reagan, and he would have likely been impached and removed from office for it had he not destroyed all the evidence implicating him in this scandal.

if he destroyed all the evidence, than how come you are so sure of it?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2010, 12:57:28 PM »

Reagan, of course. There may be many things I could disagree on w/ Reagan, but, in the end, he was doing his job honorably, as it can be reasonably understood.  Nixon, on the other hand, was not. If we add to this that Reagan was quite successful in raising the national mood and did have some quite convincing policy successes to his name, whereas what Nixon did to both atmosphere and policy can only be described as disastrous, I don't think there is much of a competition here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies