Should Prostitution Be Legalized?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:00:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Prostitution Be Legalized?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Go.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Should Prostitution Be Legalized?  (Read 5770 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2010, 12:01:24 PM »

Why do you say that ? Didn't I make it clear that my problem was toward organized prosititution ?

It's still without merit. Being able to organize is actually safer than winging it alone, depending on the set up.

No, sorry. I already find scandalous that there is a health insurance market, that there will soon be a prisions market and a military market. But a sex market, never mind.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2010, 12:08:26 PM »

Why do you say that ? Didn't I make it clear that my problem was toward organized prosititution ?

It's still without merit. Being able to organize is actually safer than winging it alone, depending on the set up.

No, sorry. I already find scandalous that there is a health insurance market, that there will soon be a prisions market and a military market. But a sex market, never mind.

Down with markets! Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2010, 01:27:08 PM »

Down with markets! Wink

There are goods for which market suits, and others for which it doesn't. Tongue
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2010, 01:43:37 PM »

Well, I see prostitution as a form of oppression of women, reducing them to a state of merchandise. I however think that the anti-prostitution law shouldn't focus on prostitutes, but rather on procurers.

Dude, everyone is reduced to the state of merchandise in capitalism.  You're just a prude to focus on the sexual aspect.

I'm just coherent with my other political views.

Here's a bit of counterintuitive wisdom:

Your stance is actually oppressive against women. That is, if you recognize prostitution can be a legitimate choice one can make for themselves. You're mistaking the problem within the bigger sphere.

The problem is how you define 'legitimate' choice. Is a legitimate choice one is forced into by say a pimp? Or what about personal bankruptcy? Or being dumped by one's husband and breadwinner and deeply in debt? Which is not to say that there aren't prostitutes who choose the job because they want to... but how proportional are they really?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2010, 01:50:51 PM »

Well, I see prostitution as a form of oppression of women, reducing them to a state of merchandise. I however think that the anti-prostitution law shouldn't focus on prostitutes, but rather on procurers.

Dude, everyone is reduced to the state of merchandise in capitalism.  You're just a prude to focus on the sexual aspect.

I'm just coherent with my other political views.

Really?  You want to ban all forms of employment?
Who doesn't? Huh
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »

The two former markets can be made to disappear, but there's literally no way to stamp out prostitution. The right thing to do is make it safer, and stop hunting pros and johns, regardless of organized or solo prostitution.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2010, 08:48:33 AM »

The two former markets can be made to disappear, but there's literally no way to stamp out prostitution. The right thing to do is make it safer, and stop hunting pros and johns, regardless of organized or solo prostitution.

Basically your argument is "we can't do anything so let's not do anything".
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2010, 08:50:04 AM »

I think that's a pretty logical argument. Why waste resources trying to fight something that isn't going to go away? (Not to mention that I have no "moral" problem with allowing it anyway. I believe there should be a really good objective reason to outlaw something.)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2010, 09:05:44 AM »

I think that's a pretty logical argument. Why waste resources trying to fight something that isn't going to go away?

I just disagree that repression against prosittution is useless, especially if you'd focus on dismantling the networks. I think it will still be some kind of prostitution, just like there are plenty of other kinds of criminality, but there's nothin unrealistic in saying we can limit it.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2010, 04:59:41 PM »

Hell no. I'm saying that our approach is wrong, and that the commonly held belief about prostitution is ill founded. I'm also saying that you make it legal so that millions don't end up on the wrong end of the legal system.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies