Separately elected Vice President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 11:03:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Separately elected Vice President
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Separately elected Vice President  (Read 5861 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 10:02:20 AM »

1976 :

Mondale : 50%
Dole : 49%

Extremely close election, with a totally different map than the Presidential one.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 10:11:59 AM »

1988 :

Bentsen : 54%
Quayle : 45%
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 08:22:08 PM »

Bentsen would carry Texas against Quayle.

Regarding 1976 map, Mondale would defeat Dole by even bigger margin then Carter beat Ford. Dole campaigning in 1976 was really horrible.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 11:36:55 PM »

Thurmond was a Dixiecrat nominee for President. Governor Fielding Wright of Mississippi was nominated for veep.

I think Barkley will win all the states Truman won minus CA (since Warren was from there). Public dissatisfaction over the GOP Congress led to Dewey's loss despite the fact that he was more moderate and not associated with Congressional Republicans--why wouldn't it lead to Warren's loss? Was Warren a phenomenal campaigner, because I've never heard that?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 03:19:55 AM »

Regarding 1976 map, Mondale would defeat Dole by even bigger margin then Carter beat Ford. Dole campaigning in 1976 was really horrible.

You probably know that better than me. Wink I hesitated about Texas, so yes, it could make sense since we all know which sort of campaigner Quayle was.
As for 1976, I don't know exactly about the campaign, but I thought Mondale wouldn't have been a great campaigner. Plus, Dole's conservatism could have mobilizer better the emerging "conservative grassroots".

Thurmond was a Dixiecrat nominee for President. Governor Fielding Wright of Mississippi was nominated for veep.

I think Barkley will win all the states Truman won minus CA (since Warren was from there). Public dissatisfaction over the GOP Congress led to Dewey's loss despite the fact that he was more moderate and not associated with Congressional Republicans--why wouldn't it lead to Warren's loss? Was Warren a phenomenal campaigner, because I've never heard that?

Truman's victory over Dewey was considered the upset of the century, and everybody was sure that republicans were going to take back the White House. Since Barkley hasn't Truman's charisma and that Warren was quite popular at the time, I'd say Warren would win easily.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2010, 02:27:59 PM »

As for 1976, I don't know exactly about the campaign, but I thought Mondale wouldn't have been a great campaigner. Plus, Dole's conservatism could have mobilizer better the emerging "conservative grassroots".

In 1976 Dole was a very bad vice presidential candidate. See Mondale-Dole debate for example.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 10:42:44 AM »

In 1976 Dole was a very bad vice presidential candidate. See Mondale-Dole debate for example.

I'm forced to believe you since my knowledges on this domain are pretty limited. Tongue
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2010, 06:40:25 PM »

You probably know that better than me. Wink I hesitated about Texas, so yes, it could make sense since we all know which sort of campaigner Quayle was.

Truman's victory over Dewey was considered the upset of the century, and everybody was sure that republicans were going to take back the White House. Since Barkley hasn't Truman's charisma and that Warren was quite popular at the time, I'd say Warren would win easily.

I think Barkley would squeak by due to Truman's coattails, though (assuming that the Presidential and VP elections are held on the same day). Many people voted for Truman because they were dissatisfied with the Republican Congress. I can't see too many of those voters simaultaneously voting for Warren, especailly considering that Truman would support and actively campaign for Barkley. And if you're going to say Warren was not associated with the Republicans Congress, that's true, but neither was Dewey, and that didn't prevent him from losing.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies