Illinois Primary Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 09:58:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Illinois Primary Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
Author Topic: Illinois Primary Thread  (Read 32471 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: February 04, 2010, 01:10:04 PM »

"A life"

I resemble that remark!!

Actually, like every election day, I got a tongue lashing from the Mrs. for not doing anything at home and only being concerned with politics.  I'm sure I'm not the only one though.  Good thing it only comes twice every 2 years or so!!!

Ill_Ind

Join the club. Wink At least you could say it was your own state's election.....
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #351 on: February 04, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »

So now what does Quinn do about the Lt Gov fiasco?

Ill_Ind

This fiasco makes a strong argument in favor of abolishing seperate elections for Governor and Lt. Governor, doesn't it?

I dunno what he should do....

Well that sure didn't take long.

Gov. Quinn urges Scott Lee Cohen to drop out of race over abuse history

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #352 on: February 04, 2010, 01:45:34 PM »

For those from outside of the state who aren't familiar with the Lt. Gov fiasco......

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Only in Illinois...
ill ind

« Reply #353 on: February 04, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »

In 2004 we had the Keyes fiasco--now the Dems are certainly doing their best to put together the "Trainwreck Ticket of 2010"
  The Dems didn't learn from the last time this happenned--1986 either.

Ill_Ind
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #354 on: February 04, 2010, 05:54:29 PM »

The Republican LG nominee was also a shocker - a random, 27-year-old teabagger from Edwardsville.

Still, there's no denying that the Dems' situation is WAY worse. Is Quinn going to have to run as an independent?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #355 on: February 04, 2010, 09:35:33 PM »

The Republican LG nominee was also a shocker - a random, 27-year-old teabagger from Edwardsville.

Still, there's no denying that the Dems' situation is WAY worse. Is Quinn going to have to run as an independent?

The GOP nominee does have some political history. He worked in DC for former Senator Peter Fitzgerald and was the county GOP chairman.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #356 on: February 04, 2010, 09:56:31 PM »

Ill_Ind

This fiasco makes a strong argument in favor of abolishing seperate elections for Governor and Lt. Governor, doesn't it?

The people made an awful decision while participating in the democratic process. And the problem is supposedly with the democratic process of directly electing our representatives?

Sorry, not buying it. You don't kill democracy because the people don't vote the way you want them to.

I'm also not buying the idea that the Illinois Democratic Party has significantly better judgment than the state as a whole.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #357 on: February 04, 2010, 10:00:39 PM »

Or, gee, you could just have the Lt. Governor elected separately from the Governor. Lots of states do it and they haven't collapsed into anarchy. Well, except for South Carolina.
rbt48

« Reply #358 on: February 04, 2010, 10:02:27 PM »

The Illinois Democratic Lt Gov nominee is vaguely reminiscent of (I think) the 1978 election when a Lyndon LaRouche supporter won that nomination and Stevenson had to run as an independent.  He lost, needless to say, big time.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #359 on: February 04, 2010, 10:03:30 PM »

It was 1986.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #360 on: February 04, 2010, 10:07:17 PM »

Or, gee, you could just have the Lt. Governor elected separately from the Governor. Lots of states do it and they haven't collapsed into anarchy. Well, except for South Carolina.

Better yet!

Mass has the same ridicu-stupid system Illinois has. Mitt Romney almost wound up with Jim Rappaport as his running mate in '02, despite him declaring Kerry Healey to be his choice. The general would have been a disaster.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #361 on: February 04, 2010, 10:42:43 PM »

Better yet!

Mass has the same ridicu-stupid system Illinois has. Mitt Romney almost wound up with Jim Rappaport as his running mate in '02, despite him declaring Kerry Healey to be his choice. The general would have been a disaster.

Not to mention Baker Knoll in PA.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #362 on: February 05, 2010, 05:46:14 AM »

Ill_Ind

The people made an awful decision while participating in the democratic process. And the problem is supposedly with the democratic process of directly electing our representatives?

Sorry, not buying it. You don't kill democracy because the people don't vote the way you want them to.

I'm also not buying the idea that the Illinois Democratic Party has significantly better judgment than the state as a whole.

I meant in primaries. A gubernatorial candidate shouldn't be forced to accept a running mate he's never even spoke to.

I wouldn't mind going to seperate elections for Gov and Lt. Gov in the general.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #363 on: February 05, 2010, 05:49:23 AM »

Dillard will be making an announcement later today to discuss the status of his campaign.
ill ind

« Reply #364 on: February 05, 2010, 09:23:03 AM »

Brady's lead is now up to 407

Ford County's total was adjusted.

Dillard +50
Brady +64

Net Brady +14

Ill_Ind
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #365 on: February 05, 2010, 09:32:13 AM »

Better yet!

Worse than Healey?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #366 on: February 05, 2010, 11:28:32 AM »

Minnesota has the Gov. and Lt. Gov. run on the same ticket even in the primary. Better than this system, but I'd rather just abolish the Lt. Gov. altogether since it's basically useless. There's a proposal in the legislature to do so and have the Sec of State be next in line.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #367 on: February 05, 2010, 08:21:11 PM »

The pressure to force Cohen off the ballot as LG seems to be at a fever pitch. Sen. Durbin's quote sums up what all the top Dems are saying now “He really should spare himself, and his friends and family what he’s about to go through.”
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #368 on: February 05, 2010, 09:26:20 PM »

The pressure to force Cohen off the ballot as LG seems to be at a fever pitch. Sen. Durbin's quote sums up what all the top Dems are saying now “He really should spare himself, and his friends and family what he’s about to go through.”

Is Cohen purchasable? I mean, if he is, the longer he waits up to a point, the higher the price no?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #369 on: February 05, 2010, 09:54:52 PM »

I'm going to run for Lieutenant Governor in 2018.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #370 on: February 05, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »

Me too Tongue
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #371 on: February 05, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »

Is Cohen purchasable? I mean, if he is, the longer he waits up to a point, the higher the price no?

Some sources are saying that he'd like some compensation for the $2M+ he pumped in the race. Other sources are saying that money won't be involved.

The irony is that the IL Constitution gives the legislature the power to pass a law that would have tickets run in the primary as well as the general. Even after the 1986 debacle, they did not invoke that provision to change the law. Yet, here we are again.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #372 on: February 05, 2010, 10:01:57 PM »

Some sources are saying that he'd like some compensation for the $2M+ he pumped in the race. Other sources are saying that money won't be involved.

The irony is that the IL Constitution gives the legislature the power to pass a law that would have tickets run in the primary as well as the general. Even after the 1986 debacle, they did not invoke that provision to change the law. Yet, here we are again.

Couldn't you guys just shove that through in the next month or so?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #373 on: February 05, 2010, 10:03:45 PM »

Will you be qualified? California law only requires that the Lieutenant Governor be an American who has resided in the state for five years.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #374 on: February 05, 2010, 10:04:36 PM »

I'm talking about Illinois and yes.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies