Where do you draw the line on murdering innocents?

<< < (4/4)

The Duke:
Quote from: angus on October 23, 2004, 11:19:55 PM

Quote from: freedomburns on October 23, 2004, 01:08:27 AM

I choose option one because this was is an obscene power grab for resources and your countrymen are dying for a lie that you participate in perpetrating if you don't question it and oppose it.

If you support the war, you are complicit in murder.  You are an accomplice in the murder of innocent children and women if you support an unjust war for oil.

freedomburns

dude, what the hell happened to you?

I know you're not so naive.  Of course it's an obscene grad for resources.  And that's precisely why so many will have to be killed.  Gold (oil, money, land, whatever manifestation of wealth you prefer) is the only reason we ever wage war.  Where does one draw the line?  Pretty much as far past the bumper of your gas-guzzling SUV as you can reach is where.  Right?  You like walking?  Me too.  But not all that much, know what I mean?  ;)

So all wars are started over money?  Is that why we invaded Afghanistan then? :P

freedomburns:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So all wars are started over money?  Is that why we invaded Afghanistan then? :P

Duh, yes John.  We discussed the pipeline through Afghanistan to gain access to Caspian Sea oil and natural gas.  There are trillions of dollars at play.  A more important geopolitical and mega-financial facet of it is the reinvigorization of the heroin trade.  Big time NY and London banks make big time buku dinero from the drug trade.  Business and gov't work hand in hand in this administration.

And yes angus, I ride my bike everywhere except when it's raining.  That way I can get up on my moral high horse and act all superior and holier-than-thou on the forum all the time.  It's so fun.  You should try it.

fb

opebo:
I think the whole 'war is profitable' argument is nonsense.

Sometimes wars are fought that have less economic gain than the cost of the war.  These are fought either as part of a larger struggle, such as the Cold War, or simply for domestic political gain.  In any case, the costs of war are bourne by the people - soldiers and taxpayers - as a whole, while the financial beneficiaries are few.  It is a highly inefficient way to transfer wealth, but sometimes inefficient ways are the only ones the public will swallow.

The fact is it doesn't make a bit of difference to me if I buy my gas from Saddam or Exxon - certainly the price will be no different.  My only concern is who will spend the money in a way that harms me more - in this case it is arguably about equal, as Saddam may have paid to have me blown up, while Exxon contributes to the theocratic party here at home to take away my freedoms.

angus:
Quote from: freedomburns on October 24, 2004, 04:02:26 AM

Duh, yes John.  We discussed the pipeline through Afghanistan to gain access to Caspian Sea oil and natural gas.  There are trillions of dollars at play.  A more important geopolitical and mega-financial facet of it is the reinvigorization of the heroin trade.  Big time NY and London banks make big time buku dinero from the drug trade.  Business and gov't work hand in hand in this administration.

And yes angus, I ride my bike everywhere except when it's raining.  That way I can get up on my moral high horse and act all superior and holier-than-thou on the forum all the time.  It's so fun.  You should try it.

fb

I do pal.  Every ing day.  Even in the rain.  My mercedes will see maybe 5000 miles this year.  If that.  And before I was married, about half that.  A huge chunk of my portfolio is vested in Public Transit, by the way.  Check first before you judge others.  I'm a card-carrying member of the Sierra Club, I volunteer for roadside cleanups, and I'm a big fan of alternative energy research.  Yeah, I'm probably an arrogant , but don't accuse me of wasting resources.  I have a lot of nasty habits, many of which are illegal, but wasting resources is not one of them!

My global footprint, by the way, is 22 acres, according to Sierra's test.  Yeah, that's high by a global standard, but lower than the average US citizen's.  What's yours?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page