Opinion of Saudi Arabia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:43:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Opinion of Saudi Arabia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Opinion of Saudi Arabia
Freedom Country

Horrible Country

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Opinion of Saudi Arabia  (Read 5439 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2010, 07:28:01 PM »

I really don't understand why everybody one, assumes I share the views of some Republican hick in Alabma, and two, seems obsessed with attacking me.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2010, 07:34:44 PM »

How are you any more qualified to know this than I? And I never said Middle-Easterners or Muslims were less intelligent, I said indoctrinated Muslims are ignorant. If they weren't the minority, how does a Government like Saudi Arabia's survive without uprisings?

Just, because I defended a similar point of view, when I say that a population is always responsible for its regime I don't necessarily mean that it shares its views, it just that it lets power to it.

The German population has certainly responsibilities to have let the power to nazis, does it mean a majority of Germans were nazis? You can't watch a society and say that individuals are like that because a society is like that, individuals and societies are just 2 different things. Something you seem to assume when you say any US citizen would be cool with foreigners. You can say 'I think most of US citizens would be cool with foreigners' but never use things like 'never' to speak about it, then you wouldn't have have had the genes comment from me.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2010, 07:36:45 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2010, 07:38:44 PM by OFKA Governor Vepres »

How are you any more qualified to know this than I? And I never said Middle-Easterners or Muslims were less intelligent, I said indoctrinated Muslims are ignorant. If they weren't the minority, how does a Government like Saudi Arabia's survive without uprisings?

Just, because I defended a similar point of view, when I say that a population is always responsible for its regime I don't necessarily mean that it shares its views, it just that it lets power to it.

The German population has certainly responsibilities to have let the power to nazis, does it mean a majority of Germans were nazis? You can't watch a society and say that individuals are like that because a society is like that, individuals and societies are just 2 different things. Something you seem to assume when you say any US citizen would be cool with foreigners. You can say 'I think most of US citizens would be cool with foreigners' but never use things like 'never' to speak about it, then you wouldn't have have had the genes comment from me.

Look, I often say one thing and mean something slightly different. I get slammed for trying to correct it. Often I say worse things trying to defend myself. GWB syndrom? Or perhaps Biden syndrom?  Tongue

The reason I used never was that Hashemite was implying that westerners were significantly less likely to respect foreigners.

Generally, when my emotions speak (they're pretty retarded) I say stupid stuff that I don't even mean.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2010, 07:50:43 PM »

The reason I used never was that Hashemite was implying that westerners were significantly less likely to respect foreigners.

I never insinuated anything remotely close to that. I said, from experience abroad, that a good majority of so-called 'foreigners' are more respectful and well-mannered than a good number of westerners. I never called all westerners rude assholes, nor did I imply that westerners were less likely to be nice to so-called 'foreigners'.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »

I never insinuated anything remotely close to that. I said, from experience abroad, that a good majority of so-called 'foreigners' are more respectful and well-mannered than a good number of westerners. I never called all westerners rude assholes, nor did I imply that westerners were less likely to be nice to so-called 'foreigners'.

I can see what you meant, though I interpreted it differently. It's one of the things that sets me off.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2010, 12:08:46 AM »

Horrible. The House of Saud's occupation of the Holy Cities must be ended.

HC on balance, but living in the country has made me appreciate the people, who are much nicer and intelligent than most westerners. They're not stupid snobs, for one.

Yes, you do need to declare your religion, mostly to know if you're not Jewish. But other stories about arbitrary arrests and executions of foreigners for reasons like religion and so forth are urban myths.

Intelligent people wouldn't tolerate such a regime, and how can you be intelligent if your only given a Muslim education?

Kindly fuсk off. Thank you.

Xahar put it nicely, but I must ask...hypothetically...someone dedicates his life to a seminary and commits the entire Koran to memory.  Who am I to tell him he isn't intelligent after he pulls off an intellectual feat I could never do?

I'm talking about ONLY a Muslim education. Denying evolution, denying the holocaust, etc. You guys take what I say too literally Roll Eyes

If I replaced Muslim with Christian and Saudi Arabia with Arkansas you wouldn't have said anything.

I see what you think Islam is. Classy.

How is this different then when you talk about Christian fundamentalists. Stop looking for ways to be offended, it really is annoying.

Face it, Saudi Arabia is very theocratic, thus they have fundamentalists there.

When have I done that? I have never accused a "Christian education" of being anything bad.

So? The Sauds are heretics.

Exactly. Wasn't it clear that I was criticizing Islam in Saudi Arabia, even if I should have articulated what I meant better. Indoctrination is more the word I was looking for. I have nothing against moderate Islam, but moderates are a minority in the Middle-East unfortunately.

Do you know this? Have you been to the Middle East? Or are the people not sufficiently intelligent for you?
I am SHOCKED a Muslim has such thin skin, normally they can laugh pretty much anything off.  I guess you just destroyed another stereotype, thanks Xahar!
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2010, 06:49:18 AM »

Firstly, if your drawing from your experience, you lived in an area DESIGNED for westerns. Venture into regular civilian areas and you probably find a different story.

Well, really, maybe it was a flipping compound but nobody was locked in. Nothing prevented anybody from travelling anywhere. It isn't the DPRK. Stop sprouting stuff you know to be false, or at least don't say stuff you don't know.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's not western guilt, it's not that westerners can't be nice, it's just that every Asian-Arab-African-whatever I've met have been extremely well-mannered and, yes, in some cases, more than certain westerners.

Sorry, just the idea that westerners are arrogant is one that I really hate. But w/e.
In my experience Muslims are usually far more arrogant than Westerners.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2010, 09:34:39 AM »

Xahar isn't doing any favours for Islam in this thread.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »

I really don't understand why everybody one, assumes I share the views of some Republican hick in Alabma, and two, seems obsessed with attacking me.

Because you just said anybody with a Muslim education is not intelligent. Do you feel the same way about all religions?

As for Saudi Arabia, HC obviously. I don't care how nice the people are or how intelligent they are, their treatment of women is beyond horrible. And I do believe they still have slavery.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2010, 10:49:08 AM »

HC on balance, but living in the country has made me appreciate the people, who are much nicer and intelligent than most westerners. They're not stupid snobs, for one.

Yes, you do need to declare your religion, mostly to know if you're not Jewish. But other stories about arbitrary arrests and executions of foreigners for reasons like religion and so forth are urban myths.

Intelligent people wouldn't tolerate such a regime, and how can you be intelligent if your only given a Muslim education?

Xahar put it nicely, but I must ask...hypothetically...someone dedicates his life to a seminary and commits the entire Koran to memory.  Who am I to tell him he isn't intelligent after he pulls off an intellectual feat I could never do?

I'm talking about ONLY a Muslim education. Denying evolution, denying the holocaust, etc. You guys take what I say too literally Roll Eyes

If I replaced Muslim with Christian and Saudi Arabia with Arkansas you wouldn't have said anything.

How is this different then when you talk about Christian fundamentalists. Stop looking for ways to be offended, it really is annoying.

Face it, Saudi Arabia is very theocratic, thus they have fundamentalists there.

When have I done that? I have never accused a "Christian education" of being anything bad.

So? The Sauds are heretics.

Exactly. Wasn't it clear that I was criticizing Islam in Saudi Arabia, even if I should have articulated what I meant better. Indoctrination is more the word I was looking for. I have nothing against moderate Islam, but moderates are a minority in the Middle-East unfortunately.

Do you know this? Have you been to the Middle East? Or are the people not sufficiently intelligent for you?
I am SHOCKED a Muslim has such thin skin, normally they can laugh pretty much anything off.  I guess you just destroyed another stereotype, thanks Xahar!

Why should he just bend over and take it if someone is disparaging his religion and it's followers? (A lot of whom are crazy in Saud land admittedly but it's not like he is defending the country)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2010, 11:34:11 AM »

Verpes questioned how somebody could be intelligent and get a religious only education and tolerate the regime in SA.  It may or may not be true, but even if not I don't think it reaches the level of verbal rape.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2010, 12:02:29 PM »

Vepres questions how someone can be intelligent if they only got an islamic education. I think that is pretty offensive. But he did say later he meant to say they are ignorant and I would agree with that (and I would include all religions here). Still he did say what he said, which is why he got "attacked".
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2010, 01:41:23 PM »

Vepres questions how someone can be intelligent if they only got an islamic education. I think that is pretty offensive. But he did say later he meant to say they are ignorant and I would agree with that (and I would include all religions here). Still he did say what he said, which is why he got "attacked".

I meant ignorant, but I have been known to phrase things poorly in the past.

I also think that if I were referring to southern baptists, I wouldn't have been attacked.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2010, 02:13:04 PM »

I also think that if I were referring to southern baptists, I wouldn't have been attacked.

And, of course, you have no basis for thinking that. But keep strawmanning.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2010, 03:09:28 PM »

I just love to see more and more Vepres intelectual fallacies coming.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2010, 05:21:41 PM »

And, of course, you have no basis for thinking that. But keep strawmanning.

Hypocrite

Xahar put it nicely, but I must ask...hypothetically...someone dedicates his life to a seminary and commits the entire Koran to memory.  Who am I to tell him he isn't intelligent after he pulls off an intellectual feat I could never do?

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2010, 05:22:45 PM »

It's a shame that somebody miswords something and the political correctness police attack him.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2010, 05:54:29 PM »

This thread has tempted me to clarify a few things on the reality of Saudi Arabia and to remove any stupid misconceptions, myths and theories which float around. 'Cause they sure do exist.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2010, 08:08:43 PM »

This thread has tempted me to clarify a few things on the reality of Saudi Arabia and to remove any stupid misconceptions, myths and theories which float around. 'Cause they sure do exist.

It's funny, but I was thinking about what you said and my view of Saudi Arabia has changed quite a bit today Tongue (I take the whole socratic method and self questioning to the extreme Grin)  

Give your ego a cookie
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2010, 02:46:52 AM »

Yeah what you actually said was pretty idiotic, but I understand what you actually meant. You seem to have these brain farts a lot. Tongue

Those who have been only exposed to religious education, of any background, will tend to be ignorant of reality and will usually be bigoted in some ways.

Excellent sig btw. Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2010, 04:23:05 AM »

Vepres' ownage in this thread is making me quite happy I made it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2010, 05:25:04 AM »

And after he made himself clear he kept getting "attacked" by our thin skinned friend.

Please, fight our ignorance.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2010, 12:10:34 PM »

Please, fight our ignorance.

You know he's the guy who actually lived in SA for a decade?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2010, 06:42:05 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2010, 06:45:11 PM by OFKA Governor Vepres »

Peres questions how someone can be intelligent if they only got an Islamic education. I think that is pretty offensive. But he did say later he meant to say they are ignorant and I would agree with that (and I would include all religions here). Still he did say what he said, which is why he got "attacked".

Yeah what you actually said was pretty idiotic, but I understand what you actually meant. You seem to have these brain farts a lot. Tongue

Those who have been only exposed to religious education, of any background, will tend to be ignorant of reality and will usually be bigoted in some ways.

Excellent Sig BTW. Smiley

Not brain farts, but using the wrong word. Sometimes my mind is ahead of my fingers. I can't help but get the feeling I'm related to Biden somehow Tongue

Edit: Wait, I got a compliment from Sabine *runs out to get food for the post-apocalyptic world*
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2010, 10:36:57 PM »

Sabine? He's not Italian! Tongue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to: