Opinion of Saudi Arabia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:26:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Opinion of Saudi Arabia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Opinion of Saudi Arabia
Freedom Country

Horrible Country

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Opinion of Saudi Arabia  (Read 5435 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 09:26:22 PM »

I didn't say that, I was responding you acting like they were superior for some reason.

Not superior in intelligence, but quite superior in manners and hospitality. We Westerners tend to be snobs, who take every flipping thing for granted and we treat others with contempt.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, which explains the slow but certain mini-reforms in Saudi Arabia and the region, no?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »

I didn't say that, I was responding you acting like they were superior for some reason.

Not superior in intelligence, but quite superior in manners and hospitality. We Westerners tend to be snobs, who take every flipping thing for granted and we treat others with contempt.

In terms of hospitality and manners, I have never seen an American disrespect a foreigner in our country. Contempt? Hardly. I am looking at this from an American perspective, but they hate foreign governments, not foreign people or cultures.

Oh, and a society that makes foreign women wear a burka (sp?) in public is not what I'd call hospitable.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 09:31:30 PM »

In terms of hospitality and manners, I have never seen an American disrespect a foreigner in our country. Contempt? Hardly. I am looking at this from an American perspective, but they hate foreign governments, not foreign people or cultures.

Go in any Arab or Asian country and you'll see that they have superior manners and hospitality than any western country.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 09:35:39 PM »

Go in any Arab or Asian country and you'll see that they have superior manners and hospitality than any western country.

Firstly, if your drawing from your experience, you lived in an area DESIGNED for westerns. Venture into regular civilian areas and you probably find a different story.

I'm just sick of all this western guilt bulls%t. Every immigrant I've met (and yes, I know a number of Asian immigrants) have always talked about how nice and respectful America is. Now, if you're referring to Europe, I wouldn't know.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 09:43:40 PM »

Firstly, if your drawing from your experience, you lived in an area DESIGNED for westerns. Venture into regular civilian areas and you probably find a different story.

Well, really, maybe it was a flipping compound but nobody was locked in. Nothing prevented anybody from travelling anywhere. It isn't the DPRK. Stop sprouting stuff you know to be false, or at least don't say stuff you don't know.

It's not western guilt, it's not that westerners can't be nice, it's just that every Asian-Arab-African-whatever I've met have been extremely well-mannered and, yes, in some cases, more than certain westerners.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 09:49:46 PM »

Well, really, maybe it was a flipping compound but nobody was locked in. Nothing prevented anybody from travelling anywhere. It isn't the DPRK. Stop sprouting stuff you know to be false, or at least don't say stuff you don't know.

It's not western guilt, it's not that westerners can't be nice, it's just that every Asian-Arab-African-whatever I've met have been extremely well-mannered and, yes, in some cases, more than certain westerners.

Sorry, just the idea that westerners are arrogant is one that I really hate. But w/e.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 10:22:08 PM »

Horrible. The House of Saud's occupation of the Holy Cities must be ended.

HC on balance, but living in the country has made me appreciate the people, who are much nicer and intelligent than most westerners. They're not stupid snobs, for one.

Yes, you do need to declare your religion, mostly to know if you're not Jewish. But other stories about arbitrary arrests and executions of foreigners for reasons like religion and so forth are urban myths.

Intelligent people wouldn't tolerate such a regime, and how can you be intelligent if your only given a Muslim education?

Kindly fuсk off. Thank you.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 10:36:35 PM »

HC on balance, but living in the country has made me appreciate the people, who are much nicer and intelligent than most westerners. They're not stupid snobs, for one.

Yes, you do need to declare your religion, mostly to know if you're not Jewish. But other stories about arbitrary arrests and executions of foreigners for reasons like religion and so forth are urban myths.

Intelligent people wouldn't tolerate such a regime, and how can you be intelligent if your only given a Muslim education?

WTF!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 10:39:52 PM »

Xahar put it nicely, but I must ask...hypothetically...someone dedicates his life to a seminary and commits the entire Koran to memory.  Who am I to tell him he isn't intelligent after he pulls off an intellectual feat I could never do?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 12:52:42 AM »

Well, really, maybe it was a flipping compound but nobody was locked in. Nothing prevented anybody from travelling anywhere. It isn't the DPRK.
Unless you're east Asian/Filipino.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 11:51:31 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2010, 11:53:25 AM by Bon écoute, non, [wagon] arręte, hiérarchise... »

Intelligent people wouldn't tolerate such a regime

Well, yes, each population is responsible for its regime, the population tolerates this regime, which outside of cultural particularisms can take quite nasty forms apparently. Things can't change from one day to an other, then I hope the population really tries to change it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 06:18:25 PM »

Xahar put it nicely, but I must ask...hypothetically...someone dedicates his life to a seminary and commits the entire Koran to memory.  Who am I to tell him he isn't intelligent after he pulls off an intellectual feat I could never do?

It doesn't take your whole life for that. A teacher I had memorized the whole thing at the age of 7.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »

Intelligent people wouldn't tolerate such a regime.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 06:31:41 PM »

You're so intelligent. You ought to give yourself a pat on the back, or three.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 06:47:02 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2010, 06:55:30 PM by OFKA Governor Vepres »

Xahar put it nicely, but I must ask...hypothetically...someone dedicates his life to a seminary and commits the entire Koran to memory.  Who am I to tell him he isn't intelligent after he pulls off an intellectual feat I could never do?

I'm talking about ONLY a Muslim education. Denying evolution, denying the holocaust, etc. You guys take what I say too literally Roll Eyes

If I replaced Muslim with Christian and Saudi Arabia with Arkansas you wouldn't have said anything.

Perhaps I should've replaced intelligence with ignorance.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 06:52:48 PM »

I'm talking about ONLY a Muslim education. Denying evolution, denying the holocaust, etc. You guys take what I say too literally Roll Eyes

If I replaced Muslim with Christian and Saudi Arabia with Arkansas you wouldn't have said anything.

I see what you think Islam is. Classy.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 06:57:11 PM »

Xahar put it nicely, but I must ask...hypothetically...someone dedicates his life to a seminary and commits the entire Koran to memory.  Who am I to tell him he isn't intelligent after he pulls off an intellectual feat I could never do?

How is this different then when you talk about Christian fundamentalists? Stop looking for ways to be offended, it really is annoying.

Face it, Saudi Arabia is very theocratic, thus they have fundamentalists there. I'm not talking about Islam in general.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 06:59:05 PM »

How is this different then when you talk about Christian fundamentalists. Stop looking for ways to be offended, it really is annoying.

Face it, Saudi Arabia is very theocratic, thus they have fundamentalists there.

When have I done that? I have never accused a "Christian education" of being anything bad. Stop making strawmen.

So? The Sauds are heretics.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 07:00:54 PM »

How is this different then when you talk about Christian fundamentalists. Stop looking for ways to be offended, it really is annoying.

When have I done that? i have never accused a "Christian education" of being anything bad.

Exactly. Wasn't it clear that I was criticizing Islam in Saudi Arabia, even if I should have articulated what I meant better. Indoctrination is more the word I was looking for. I have nothing against moderate Islam, but moderates are a minority in the Middle-East unfortunately.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2010, 07:04:41 PM »

When have I done that? I have never accused a "Christian education" of being anything bad.

Exactly. Wasn't it clear that I was criticizing Islam in Saudi Arabia, even if I should have articulated what I meant better. Indoctrination is more the word I was looking for. I have nothing against moderate Islam, but moderates are a minority in the Middle-East unfortunately.

Do you know this? Have you been to the Middle East? Or are the people not sufficiently intelligent for you?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »

Haha....

Excellent posts, Hashemite. Nothing more to say.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 07:09:31 PM »

When have I done that? I have never accused a "Christian education" of being anything bad.

Do you know this? Have you been to the Middle East? Or are the people not sufficiently intelligent for you?

How are you any more qualified to know this than I? And I never said Middle-Easterners or Muslims were less intelligent, I said indoctrinated Muslims are ignorant. If they weren't the minority, how does a Government like Saudi Arabia's survive without uprisings?

Didn't they charge a women with the crime of wearing trousers (or was it another country)?

It just seems you're now intent on being needlessly offended and are ignoring my explanations.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2010, 07:10:30 PM »

Haha....

Some disrespect foreign groups, but never an individual to their face.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2010, 07:14:58 PM »

Haha....

Cool, you surely have cool genes there. Lucky.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2010, 07:21:50 PM »

Haha....

Cool, you surely have cool genes there. Lucky.

I don't get it. I'm referring to culture Huh
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies