GOP Looking at Running Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy (D?) for NY GOV
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:13:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GOP Looking at Running Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy (D?) for NY GOV
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP Looking at Running Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy (D?) for NY GOV  (Read 1160 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:35:20 PM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2010/01/albany-gop-chairman-levy-the-r.html

Albany County Republican Chairman John Graziano called Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy "very, very impressive" and said he would be willing to support the potential Democratic gubernatorial contender - as long as he switches his enrollment to the GOP.

"He's the real deal," said Graziano, who invited Levy to meet with a group of upstate party chairs for dinner last night. "I think he has all the ideas that Republicans like and he's got a real success story."

"I'm personally impressed. If he becomes a Republican, I'd like to see him as a candidate...This guy would do a great job if he becomes governor. Would I like to see him become governor? You bet."

Levy, whose aides have steadfastly refused to confirm or deny reports that he is meeting with GOP leaders, including state Chairman Ed Cox, has run on the GOP and Conservative lines in the past and drawn heated criticism from Latino Democrats for his right-leaning stance on immigration.

The county executive has insisted on numerous occasions that he is open to running on multiple lines if he follows through with his bid for governor, but has no plans to switch his enrollment.

I asked Graziano if the topic of Levy's enrollment came up last night. He said it did, but declined to reveal what the county executive had said.

"I think it's unfair of me to tell you; I think that he should tell you," the chairman said. "But why would he be coming and talking to Republican chairs unless he was interested in getting endorsed as a Republican?"

"You don't present yourself to people unless you're asking for something that would be important, or is important, to you. Everyone in that room wants him to become a Republican."

Also on hand last night were the chairs of Saratoga, Rensselaer, Dutchess, Greene, Sullivan, and Delaware counties.

Graziano said he also likes likely gubernatorial contender Erie County Executive Chris Collins, who was supposed to be on hand for last night's dinner but cancelled due to the recent death of his father, but thinks Levy has more experience.

As for the lone announced GOP candidate for governor, former Long Island Rep. Rick Lazio, Graziano called him "a wonderful, nice guy," but added: "I don't see where he would have the executive experience to be governor."

"If he wants to stay and run as a statewide candidate, I think he should consider other positions," Graziano said.
Cox, who has ties to Collins, reportedly would prefer to see Lazio challenge Democratic Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand instead of running for governor (although, according to yesterday's Siena poll, former Gov. George Pataki is probably the party's strongest challenger left to take her on in the general election).

Lazio so far has shown zero interest in switching races. The same Siena poll showed both he and Collins tied with Gov. David Paterson, but easily beaten by AG Andrew Cuomo.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 01:20:27 AM »

Not much of a chance.  Levy is fiscally conservative, and has taken a hard stance on immigration, but he is liberal on most social issues.  Pro-choice, pro-gay marriage pro gun control.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 01:25:09 PM »

Not much of a chance.  Levy is fiscally conservative, and has taken a hard stance on immigration, but he is liberal on most social issues.  Pro-choice, pro-gay marriage pro gun control.

Screw the other stuff. The bolded is all I care about. Honestly the GOP is not going to get social Conservative elected in NY, those days are over.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:12:29 PM »

the hard stance is more rhetorical than anything, pandering to the old Italians and Irish men that hate the influx of poor browns everywhere.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 02:16:05 PM »

the hard stance is more rhetorical than anything, pandering to the old Italians and Irish men that hate the influx of poor browns everywhere.

Of course. Its not like the Governor of NY is going to be doing anything on the issue anyway though. If it were for the Senate seat, then that would be an issue.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:24:23 PM »

Screw the other stuff. The bolded is all I care about. Honestly the GOP is not going to get social Conservative elected in NY, those days are over.

Yes, but they mean the CPNY will pull a Hoffman again. Not the point of making Levy irrelevant in the election, of course, but they could pull 10% or so, enough to deny Levy any remote chance at all. (Especially since Levy is a Long Island politician with no ties to upstate.)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 09:47:23 PM »

Not much of a chance. Levy is fiscally conservative, and has taken a hard stance on immigration, but he is liberal on most social issues.  Pro-choice, pro-gay marriage pro gun control.

Yes, but they mean the CPNY will pull a Hoffman again. Not the point of making Levy irrelevant in the election, of course, but they could pull 10% or so, enough to deny Levy any remote chance at all. (Especially since Levy is a Long Island politician with no ties to upstate.)

The CPNY has backed Levi in the past though, and NY-23 is a lot more Republican than statewide.  
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:11:20 PM »

Not much of a chance. Levy is fiscally conservative, and has taken a hard stance on immigration, but he is liberal on most social issues.  Pro-choice, pro-gay marriage pro gun control.

The CPNY has backed Levi in the past though, and NY-23 is a lot more Republican than statewide.  

The CPNY is a bunch of hypocrits. That should cease to exist.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies