Powerful Earthquake in Haiti
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:47:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Powerful Earthquake in Haiti
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Powerful Earthquake in Haiti  (Read 2441 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 07:12:02 AM »

Now I'm hearing critics coming from anti-american retards saying "see dose evul imperialistz want to konquer Haiti ! OMG IMPERIALISTS !!!". Sickening...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 07:17:01 AM »

Now I'm hearing critics coming from anti-american retards saying "see dose evul imperialistz want to konquer Haiti ! OMG IMPERIALISTS !!!". Sickening...

In Germany as well.

And these same people would be complaining about America's indifference to Haiti's suffering if America didn't send troops and massive help.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 11:41:26 AM »

Well, I wouldn't follow this, may Haiti receive all the help they can, they need it, but the fact that one country can take such a military importance in such an operation, well, should at least make wonder for the future, especially in the realm of international organizations like UN.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 12:25:10 PM »

Well, I wouldn't follow this, may Haiti receive all the help they can, they need it, but the fact that one country can take such a military importance in such an operation, well, should at least make wonder for the future, especially in the realm of international organizations like UN.

Wouldn't it be fair to argue that the US military is simply better prepared to offer help to Haiti then the UN?
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 12:46:26 PM »

Wouldn't it be fair to argue that the US military is simply better prepared to offer help to Haiti then the UN?

Sure, a simple observation shows it. But, I mean the fact that such a country can take such a military place in an other one should make wonder the UN for the future.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »

Sure, a simple observation shows it. But, I mean the fact that such a country can take such a military place in an other one should make wonder the UN for the future.

Military strength isn't problematic per se. Actually, I'm quite glad to know that a democratic State has still the capacity to intervent to prevent a human catastrophe or stop a bloody war. And this for the same reason that I suppor a strong State to regulate the economy.
However, the stronger your are, the wiser you should be. Bush wasn't wise at all, and that's why the American foreign policy of the 2001-2009 period deserved most of the critics it received. Obama, instead, seems pretty wise and can be able to use such a power with intelligence and moderation.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »

Military strength isn't problematic per se. Actually, I'm quite glad to know that a democratic State has still the capacity to intervent to prevent a human catastrophe or stop a bloody war. And this for the same reason that I suppor a strong State to regulate the economy.
However, the stronger your are, the wiser you should be. Bush wasn't wise at all, and that's why the American foreign policy of the 2001-2009 period deserved most of the critics it received. Obama, instead, seems pretty wise and can be able to use such a power with intelligence and moderation.

The fact that you never know what a leader of a country can do should precisely push people to establish international rules for cases like this, in order to be cut of national interests and randoms that can take a situation over.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 03:17:54 PM »

The fact that you never know what a leader of a country can do should precisely push people to establish international rules for cases like this, in order to be cut of national interests and randoms that can take a situation over.

True, but we need a "world gendarme", and until the UN will be unable to assume this role, America is the best possible choice.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 03:28:05 PM »

True, but we need a "world gendarme", and until the UN will be unable to assume this role, America is the best possible choice.

Dunno whether they are the best, you just reminded that about one year ago Bush was in power, and this during 8 years, and the right wing of the country, then the opposition, then the guys that will come one day, soon or not, sounds to be more and more weird there. Not sure whether they are the best then, they are just the only ones who have the means, then UN has to wonder about all of this if they wanna have some signification, and for preventing imperialism in the future, let's hope they use it as a lesson and that they'll try to set means that can give them a leadership in that realm, and this of course by inciting all countries to build something together, for the sake of everyone.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 03:37:07 PM »

I don't mean to sound like an evil American Yankee Imperialist, but I really don't see people would see any reason to oppose American intervention here.

And it's not as if the Republicans would act any differently here, I'm sure Dubya would have acted similarly.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »

I don't mean to sound like an evil American Yankee Imperialist, but I really don't see people would see any reason to oppose American intervention here.

And it's not as if the Republicans would act any differently here, I'm sure Dubya would have acted similarly.

Here there are no reasons for you not to come, even if you would be the worst right wing country, if you are the only one who has means and that you're willing to carry these means on, then carry on! That's needed and can't be rejected.

Am just speaking for the future, and in terms of principles and possibilities that can include such deployments on the long term.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 10:38:04 PM »

I think we need massive airdrops of water and  food...the remaining infrastructure just isn't suited to handle such a mass relief effort.  It's not a problem of money, it's lack of logistics.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 01:30:17 AM »

Now France is accusing the US of using the earthquake as an excuse to occupy?!  as if anyone would want to occupy Haiti?!

Boy, the French are jerks!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 01:49:02 AM »

Now France is accusing the US of using the earthquake as an excuse to occupy?!  as if anyone would want to occupy Haiti?!

Please learn to read.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 01:53:17 AM »

Please learn to read.

I thought I had...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/haiti/7020908/US-accused-of-occupying-Haiti-as-troops-flood-in.html

"France accused the US of "occupying" Haiti on Monday as thousands of American troops flooded into the country to take charge of aid efforts and security. "
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2010, 01:56:14 AM »

Please learn to read.

I thought I had...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/haiti/7020908/US-accused-of-occupying-Haiti-as-troops-flood-in.html

"France accused the US of "occupying" Haiti on Monday as thousands of American troops flooded into the country to take charge of aid efforts and security. "

Sorry, I thought you were commenting my post. Anyways, the Freench goverment is full of idiots indeed. But saying that "french are jerks" makes you as stupid as those guys.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2010, 02:07:42 AM »

The confusion is my fault, it’s late and I didn’t bother to read the entire thread
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 02:34:34 AM »

I think we need massive airdrops of water and  food...the remaining infrastructure just isn't suited to handle such a mass relief effort.  It's not a problem of money, it's lack of logistics.

And the riots that go along with them?
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 09:37:09 AM »

Ok, and now if UN had the means to do something by itself, we would avoid these kinds of stupid stuffs which provokes suspicion and disorganization, that makes lose time and energy when some people are just in need.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2010, 09:52:11 AM »

And the riots that go along with them?

you're already having riots due to the lack of supplies.   maybe we could slow the spread of riots if the people realized they won't starve or die of thirst. 

I'm not saying stop the movement of supplies by sea and land, but we need to augment that effort with massive air drops...though we may not have the necessary planes available due to the ongoing wars.

It's just a terrible situation and it is frustrating not to be able to do much about it.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2010, 09:58:04 AM »

I'm not saying stop the movement of supplies by sea and land, but we need to augment that effort with massive air drops...though we may not have the necessary planes available due to the ongoing wars.

Well, it's not only a question of your means, since for example France proposed its but couldn't deliver it because the airport is crowded, for what remains of it.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2010, 10:05:44 AM »

Well, it's not only a question of your means, since for example France proposed its but couldn't deliver it because the airport is crowded, for what remains of it.

we don't need Haiti's airport to conduct air drops...the planes can takeoff from the US, drop the supplies, and return to land in the US.....if the planes are available, that is
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2010, 10:09:51 AM »

we don't need Haiti's airport to conduct air drops...the planes can takeoff from the US, drop the supplies, and return to land in the US.....if the planes are available, that is

Ah, yes, sry, air drops, well, with all that people like France saying that their planes can't do anything by now because airport is crowded, we might find a way. May this affair really gives lessons in term of organization of the international help.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies