Powerful Earthquake in Haiti
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:39:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Powerful Earthquake in Haiti
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Powerful Earthquake in Haiti  (Read 2444 times)
CultureKing
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2010, 06:40:15 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8455629.stm

Haiti rocked by powerful 7.3 earthquake
Map

A powerful 7.3-magnitude earthquake has struck off the coast of Haiti, rocking the capital and sparking a tsunami alert for neighbouring states.

The tremor hit at 1653 (2153 GMT), about 15km (10m) south-west of Port-au-Prince, the US Geological Survey said.

Haiti's envoy to the US said it was a "catastrophe of major proportions" as reports from the capital spoke of casualties and damage.

A hospital and other buildings are reported to have collapsed.

A visiting US official told AP the sky in the city was "just grey with dust" and he could hear distant screaming.

The low-lying impoverished state has been plagued by natural disasters.

The quake was quickly followed by two strong aftershocks of 5.9 and 5.5 magnitude.

The US Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said there was the possibility of a local tsunami that could affect "coasts located usually no more than a 100km [60 miles] from the earthquake epicentre".

A tsunami watch was in effect for Haiti, the neighbouring Dominican Republic, Cuba and the Bahamas.

'Rubble and wire'

Raymond Joseph, Haiti's ambassador to the US, told CNN: "I think it is really a catastrophe of major proportions."

He said he had just spoken to a government colleague in Port-au-Prince.

An AP cameraman saw the wrecked hospital in Petionville, a hilly suburb of the capital, and Henry Bahn, a visiting official from the US Department of Agriculture, said he had seen houses which had tumbled into a ravine.

"Everybody is just totally, totally freaked out and shaken," said Mr Bahn.

He had, he continued, been walking to his hotel room when the ground began to shake.

"I just held on and bounced across the wall," he said.

"I just hear a tremendous amount of noise and shouting and screaming in the distance."

Rocks, he added, were strewn all over the place, and the ravine where several homes had fallen in was "just full of collapsed walls and rubble and barbed wire".

----

Could this lead to further destabilization in Haiti?
Likely the death toll will at least be in the hundreds...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »

Yeah, this is going to be bad in a country with such poor infrastructure.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:37:11 PM »

Wow. Haiti was already the worst place on earth. Hopefully, the nations of the world help them through this.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:33:43 PM »

Wow. Haiti was already the worst place on earth. Hopefully, the nations of the world help them through this.

DR Congo says hi. Though yeah Haiti is not exactly a great place either..
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:50:43 PM »

In related news, Haiti experienced two coups, one rigged election, and one counter-coup before the shaking had ceased.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 12:10:41 AM »

Ouch.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 12:13:49 AM »

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 02:14:31 AM »

My cousin does medical missionary work done there and funds two clinics.  He is up here, but they can't reach one of them, about six miles from the epicenter.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 04:46:45 AM »

this is going to suck, big time.

I didn't even realize the Caribbean was along a fault line, but a lot of bodies are going to show up tomorrow. 
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 09:17:41 AM »

wow, what a disaster.  looks like most of the leadership is also dead.  I hope the DRepublic wasn't also damaged, my family supports a child who lives there thru Compassion International.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 09:32:18 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2010, 09:34:41 AM by Quatretread »

Oh dear. Sad

This was, apparently, the worst earthquake in the Caribbean for several centuries - things had, by longterm standards, been rather quiet these past 300 years.
Which incidentally means nothing's built earthquake-safe, and geologists had been warning of an impending major quake without being able to tell anybody where it was most likely to hit (lack of data due to a lack of major earthquakes over the recent past).

EDIT: Okay, ponder this: Electricity is down, so's the phone service - both landlines and, at least for a lot of the area, mobile. But the internet is working.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 09:41:25 AM »

wow, what a disaster.  looks like most of the leadership is also dead.  I hope the DRepublic wasn't also damaged, my family supports a child who lives there thru Compassion International.

The President survived. 

It was fairly distant from Dominican border, almost on the west coast of Haiti.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 09:58:17 AM »

Okay, ponder this: Electricity is down, so's the phone service - both landlines and, at least for a lot of the area, mobile. But the internet is working.

Satellite?  Huh
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 11:29:08 AM »

Well that sucks.

DR Congo says hi. Though yeah Haiti is not exactly a great place either..

North Korea also demands your attention. Failure to do so will result in you and your family being sent to a labor camp.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 12:17:32 PM »

Just that count of foreign nationals known to be dead makes me wonder how many Haitians died.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Haiti_earthquake#Casualties

a lot, probably. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 02:29:07 PM »

The PM said 100,000 from the damage, but that might be hyperbole.  It might not be from the problems that will follow.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 02:35:35 PM »

Archbishop Miot's body was found in the wreckage, and UN Mission Head Annabi is missing.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »

The port is severely damaged, but usable by smaller ships.  There is an oil spill.

The tower at the airport collapsed, but the runway is usable.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 05:26:41 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2010, 05:29:09 PM by J. J. »

The clinic administrator and his family survived.  Smiley  His house was nearly destroyed.  Sad

The suburb of Carrefour has been destroyed.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 06:56:17 PM »

Brazil seems the most pro-active about foreign aid (probably because they're the largest armed force in Haiti) and humanitarian relief. A welcome change from the usual sh**t and fluff of "our prayers" and "our deepest sympathies".
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 04:07:43 AM »

I'm not sure if there are that many poorer, less densely populated, and less prepared places for a big earthquake to happen, where such an earthquake is ill a possibility.  Sure, a 7.0 in downtown Shanghai would kill a lot of people, but a lot of places along fault lines possess more money, are more aware, and better prepare their buildings against this sort of catastrophe.

Could this city actually be in the top 3-5 worst places for a big earthquake to happen where a big earthquake CAN happen?  I'm not a geologist, but it's hard for me to imagine too many places without the ability to prepare for something like this but with the desperate need to prepare for something like this...Mogadishu?  Karachi?  It doesn't add up to a lot of places.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »

I'm not sure if there are that many poorer, less densely populated, and less prepared places for a big earthquake to happen, where such an earthquake is ill a possibility.  Sure, a 7.0 in downtown Shanghai would kill a lot of people, but a lot of places along fault lines possess more money, are more aware, and better prepare their buildings against this sort of catastrophe.

Could this city actually be in the top 3-5 worst places for a big earthquake to happen where a big earthquake CAN happen?  I'm not a geologist, but it's hard for me to imagine too many places without the ability to prepare for something like this but with the desperate need to prepare for something like this...Mogadishu?  Karachi?  It doesn't add up to a lot of places.

Istanbul could be good candidate for Olympics 2020, but, euh, for what you're speaking about too, actually.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 12:13:42 PM »

My cousin is hearing from some more of his staff, but still many have not been contacted.  They don't know if the clinic survived.

The clinic is about two miles west of Carrefour.  Carrefour has been reported to be "gone."

http://open.salon.com/blog/chantal_laurent/2010/01/12/haiti_earthquake_disaster_info
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 01:08:14 AM »

This might violate policy, but I hope not.

As I've indicated, my cousin runs a Christian based health clinic in Haiti.  It is medical missionary work.  It was about miles of epicenter.

If any of you would like to make a donation, just PM me, and I'll give you the website.  Yes, it was the local news in Phila tonight; it is based in NJ.

Donations are tax deductible, and they are interested in material aid as well, including:

Food:  Powder Millk, Powder Baby Formula, Dry Rice, Dry Beans

Medicine:  Acetaminophen (all strengths), Ibuprofen (all strengths), Multivitamins (adult and children), Creams:  antibiotic, antifungal, hydrocortisone, Sterile Gauze, Prescription Antibiotics

Laptop Computers, Generators

They have been running it for about 11 years.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 11:14:32 PM »

Death toll now estimated at 100,000.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies