Lincoln Chafee runs for R.I. Governor (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:16:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Lincoln Chafee runs for R.I. Governor (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lincoln Chafee runs for R.I. Governor  (Read 11868 times)
nkpatel1279
United States

« on: January 05, 2010, 11:41:12 AM »

MA,CT,and RI are the 3 blue States that elected Republican Governors for 4 terms.
MA- It started in 1990- when Bill Weld- a liberal Republican narrowly defeated a Conservative Democrat John Silber. In 1994- during a GOP wave and a no name Democrat- Weld won re-election by a landslide. Weld-resigned the Governorship- to focus on being Ambassador to Mexico- Cellucci-R runs for a full term in 1998- narrowly defeats AG Scott Harshbarger- who was a dull candidate. Cellucci- becomes Ambassador to Canada- replace by Jane Swift- who decides not to run for a full term. Mitt Romney-R is the GOP nominee in 2002- Shannon O'Brien is the Democratic Nominee in 2002- Romney-R narrowly defeats O'Brien-D who was also part of Beocon Hill machine.  In 2006- Romney decides not to run again to focus on the 2008 Presidential bid. Kerry Healey-R decides to run a Karl Rove type campaign in Blue Massachusetts.  She loses to Deval Patrick- who then was the Barack Obama of Massachusetts.
CT- The last Democratic Governor of CT BIll O'Neill- left office in 1990. In 1990- Lowell Weicker- a former Republican US Senator who lost to Holy Joe Lieberman in 1988. won a three way race against two US Reps John Rowland and Bruce Morrison.  Weicker retires in 1994. In 1994- Republican John Rowland narrowly defeats Bill Curry. In 1998- Rowland-R strongly wins re-election against Barbara Kennelly-D who turned out to be a lousy candidate. In 2002- Rowland-R wins a rematch against Curry. Rowland resigns due to corruption goes to prison is suceeded by Rell. Rell-R wins re-election in 2006- until 2010. Democrats have a greater chance of winning back the CT Governorship in 2010.
RI- Last Democratic Governor of RI- Bruce Sundlun-left office in 1994. Myrth York -D lost to Lincoln Almond-R in 1994 and 1998. in 2002- York ran again- defeated Sheldon Whitehouse in the primary. Had Whitehouse been the nominee instead of York. Whitehouse-D would have been Governor instead of Carcieri. Carcieri-R narrowly won re-election in 2006 against Charlie Fogarty- the year when Chaffee-R lost re-election to Whitehouse. Chaffee-I will be the next Governor of RI.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies