Lincoln Chafee runs for R.I. Governor (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:49:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Lincoln Chafee runs for R.I. Governor (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lincoln Chafee runs for R.I. Governor  (Read 11708 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: January 05, 2010, 08:53:18 AM »

Carcieri is hardly a conservative. Maybe by Rhode Island standards but nationally he is one of the top rinos.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:24:14 AM »

Carcieri is hardly a conservative. Maybe by Rhode Island standards but nationally he is one of the top rinos.

Congratulations on showing what little you know about Don Carcieri.

No, its not about what I know. Roll Eyes Its about how conservatives in general view him. Please refrain from reading too much into my statement.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:36:39 AM »

I bet Chafee is further left than the Democratic candidates.

And just how conservative is Carcieri?

All I can gather is that he is anti-Gay, and anti-Illegal Immigrant.

Alone that does not make a person a conservative. Of course to a Gay person thats more then enough, and explains Mr. Moderates failed attempt to question my judgement. Roll Eyes

Several people have said he was too moderate to win a Presidential nomination and many other conservatives have labeled him a rino in the past.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:55:14 AM »

I bet Chafee is further left than the Democratic candidates.

And just how conservative is Carcieri?

All I can gather is that he is anti-Gay, and anti-Illegal Immigrant.

Alone that does not make a person a conservative. Of course to a Gay person thats more then enough, and explains Mr. Moderates failed attempt to question my judgement. Roll Eyes

Several people have said he was too moderate to win a Presidential nomination and many other conservatives have labeled him a rino in the past.

He's tried to hold an at least moderately conservative line on taxes too for all the good that's done him. It's futile though. Until we kick out the usual morons in the GA there's no way taxes or regulations will ever be brought in line to even Massachusetts levels.

His wikipedia article doesn't list his postions and the Ontheissues.org article is basically blank. Whats his position on abortion? Though I don't consider it the litmus test of conservativism, many other conservatives do.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 08:07:57 AM »

http://www.lifenews.com/state3790.html

Fairly vocally pro life, I'm sort of surprised they haven't updated. As far as economic issues go he's a moderate (see his stance on the stimulus), he just sounds conservative compared to the legislature.

So a conservative leaning populist.

The reason I made an issue about is because everyone called Stephen Laffey a "conservative" when actually he was a Pro-Life Liberal a Liberal leaning Populist according to Ontheissues. I figured RI media people tends to exaggerate the conservatism of certain candidates.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »

Keep in mind that's the same site that lists Giuliani as a 'libertarian leaning conservative'....

Granted it isn't perfect, but my point still stands, that in my view because of RI leftward bent, it tends to view "conservative leaning candidates" as being more conservative then they really are.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 06:50:52 PM »

I am afraid I will need to bite the bullet and endorse OMG I CAN'T BELEIVE I AM DOING THIS Lincoln Chafee Tongue

Having a divided gov't in RI is better then having one party rule.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 10:05:59 AM »

I am afraid I will need to bite the bullet and endorse OMG I CAN'T BELEIVE I AM DOING THIS Lincoln Chafee Tongue

Having a divided gov't in RI is better then having one party rule.

Let me help you there, Yank. Wink

I have done it before so it isn't a big deal. Tongue I supported him in 2006 over Laffey and when he went on to lose, I said never again. I also still despise him. However I think he would do a better job and keeping RI, the second or third most Dem state, out of the hands of a Democtatic Governor for 20 years is something to take pleasure in.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies