Lincoln Chafee runs for R.I. Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:01:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Lincoln Chafee runs for R.I. Governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Lincoln Chafee runs for R.I. Governor  (Read 11706 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 05, 2010, 02:02:57 AM »

Ex-Senator Runs for Governor in Rhode Island as Independent

By ABBY GOODNOUGH
Published: January 4, 2010

BOSTON — Lincoln D. Chafee, the former Republican senator from Rhode Island who lost his seat to a Democrat in 2006 despite his family’s longtime presence in state politics, announced Monday that he would run for governor there as an independent.

Mr. Chafee, 56, left the Republican Party after his loss to Sheldon Whitehouse, a Democrat, saying the party’s agenda had grown too conservative. In Congress, he opposed President George W. Bush’s tax cuts and was the only Senate Republican to vote against authorizing the war in Iraq.

Gov. Donald L. Carcieri, a Republican who took office in 2003, cannot seek re-election because of term limits, and the only Republican to enter the race dropped out last month. Mr. Carcieri, a conservative with flagging approval ratings, is the only Republican in statewide office.

On the Democratic side, Patrick C. Lynch, the state’s attorney general, and Frank T. Caprio, its general treasurer, are competing for their party’s nomination. Both are well known in the state, but so is Mr. Chafee, whose family has loomed large in Rhode Island politics for more than a century. His father, John, was the state’s governor for six years in the 1960s before serving in the Senate for two decades; upon his death in 1999, his son was appointed his successor.

“I believe that running as an independent will free me from the constraints that party politics impose on candidates,” Mr. Chafee said in his announcement speech in Warwick, R.I. “This freedom will allow me to bring in the best people from both major parties and people without political ties to solve our problems.”

During the recession, Rhode Island has suffered from some of the nation’s worst budget problems and one of its highest unemployment rates. In his speech, Mr. Chafee said the state should “carefully examine” expanding its sales tax to cover some items — like food, clothing and over-the-counter drugs — that are currently exempt.

Mr. Chafee faces significant challenges in the governor’s race: Rhode Island is overwhelmingly Democratic, and he trails his Democratic opponents in fund-raising. But New England voters have elected a number of independents in recent decades, including two governors — Lowell P. Weicker Jr. in Connecticut and Angus King in Maine.

In Massachusetts, Timothy Cahill, the state treasurer, is running for governor as an independent after leaving the Democratic Party last year.

Darrell M. West, vice president of governance studies at the Brookings Institution, said Mr. Chafee would be a strong candidate even without the backing of a major political party. His name recognition, his personal wealth and the fact that about half of Rhode Island voters are not affiliated with a party all work in Mr. Chafee’s favor, Mr. West said.

“The Chafee family name is the gold standard in Rhode Island,” he said. “And while Rhode Island does tend to elect Democrats, independents are the largest voting bloc in the state.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/05/us/politics/05chafee.html
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 02:08:49 AM »

And best of luck to him, here's to hoping he's elected!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 02:37:27 AM »

How did Carcieri (if what I read up on him is true) manage to get elected as Governor of Rhode Island?

Also, I hope Chafee gives em hell.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 02:38:10 AM »

Go Chafee Go.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 02:40:26 AM »

I wouldn't mind Chaffee as governor. It is nice to see moderates not give up and be able to do well in some areas of the country. Though truthfully if I lived in Rhode Island I would probably vote for the Dem.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 04:11:53 AM »

And best of luck to him, here's to hoping he's elected!

Go Chafee!
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 04:22:00 AM »

Good for him. I was kind of sorry to see him lose re-election, because he lost due to the actions of others in his party. I hope he wins, it's nice to see indy's do well...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 04:46:54 AM »

How did Carcieri (if what I read up on him is true) manage to get elected as Governor of Rhode Island?

Well, Carcieri is term-limited. He was elected in 2002, facing the Democratic candidate for Governor in 1994 and 1998, probably a poor candidate for failing 3 times, and reelected in 2006 by 8004 votes.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 08:01:15 AM »

He had terrible opponents both times. Myrth York ran for Governor 3 times and lost every time, and Charlie Fogarty basically ran a non-campaign, expecting to be swept into office by the natural Democratic lean of the state.

Having briefly read up on both the Democrats, I'd probably vote for Chafee if I lived in RI. Caprio and Lynch don't sound particularly inspiring to me. I am skeptical that Chafee can win, though, especially given his fundraising troubles.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 08:53:18 AM »

Carcieri is hardly a conservative. Maybe by Rhode Island standards but nationally he is one of the top rinos.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 09:33:49 AM »

Carcieri is hardly a conservative. Maybe by Rhode Island standards but nationally he is one of the top rinos.

Congratulations on showing what little you know about Don Carcieri.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 09:48:21 AM »

Mr. Chafee said the state should “carefully examine” expanding its sales tax to cover some items — like food, clothing and over-the-counter drugs — that are currently exempt.

I was thinking about supporting him, but that's pretty viciously regressive.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 10:54:22 AM »

I thought Elizabeth Roberts was running? I would probably vote for her, otherwise I'd go with Chafee.

Wha?
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 11:41:12 AM »

MA,CT,and RI are the 3 blue States that elected Republican Governors for 4 terms.
MA- It started in 1990- when Bill Weld- a liberal Republican narrowly defeated a Conservative Democrat John Silber. In 1994- during a GOP wave and a no name Democrat- Weld won re-election by a landslide. Weld-resigned the Governorship- to focus on being Ambassador to Mexico- Cellucci-R runs for a full term in 1998- narrowly defeats AG Scott Harshbarger- who was a dull candidate. Cellucci- becomes Ambassador to Canada- replace by Jane Swift- who decides not to run for a full term. Mitt Romney-R is the GOP nominee in 2002- Shannon O'Brien is the Democratic Nominee in 2002- Romney-R narrowly defeats O'Brien-D who was also part of Beocon Hill machine.  In 2006- Romney decides not to run again to focus on the 2008 Presidential bid. Kerry Healey-R decides to run a Karl Rove type campaign in Blue Massachusetts.  She loses to Deval Patrick- who then was the Barack Obama of Massachusetts.
CT- The last Democratic Governor of CT BIll O'Neill- left office in 1990. In 1990- Lowell Weicker- a former Republican US Senator who lost to Holy Joe Lieberman in 1988. won a three way race against two US Reps John Rowland and Bruce Morrison.  Weicker retires in 1994. In 1994- Republican John Rowland narrowly defeats Bill Curry. In 1998- Rowland-R strongly wins re-election against Barbara Kennelly-D who turned out to be a lousy candidate. In 2002- Rowland-R wins a rematch against Curry. Rowland resigns due to corruption goes to prison is suceeded by Rell. Rell-R wins re-election in 2006- until 2010. Democrats have a greater chance of winning back the CT Governorship in 2010.
RI- Last Democratic Governor of RI- Bruce Sundlun-left office in 1994. Myrth York -D lost to Lincoln Almond-R in 1994 and 1998. in 2002- York ran again- defeated Sheldon Whitehouse in the primary. Had Whitehouse been the nominee instead of York. Whitehouse-D would have been Governor instead of Carcieri. Carcieri-R narrowly won re-election in 2006 against Charlie Fogarty- the year when Chaffee-R lost re-election to Whitehouse. Chaffee-I will be the next Governor of RI.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »

I bet Chafee is further left than the Democratic candidates.

And just how conservative is Carcieri?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 10:39:01 PM »

He'll win.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 07:24:14 AM »

Congratulations on showing what little you know about Don Carcieri.

No, its not about what I know. Roll Eyes Its about how conservatives in general view him. Please refrain from reading too much into my statement.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 07:36:39 AM »

All I can gather is that he is anti-Gay, and anti-Illegal Immigrant.

Alone that does not make a person a conservative. Of course to a Gay person thats more then enough, and explains Mr. Moderates failed attempt to question my judgement. Roll Eyes

Several people have said he was too moderate to win a Presidential nomination and many other conservatives have labeled him a rino in the past.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 07:48:58 AM »

I wouldn't say 'further left,' given his stance on a few issues. He is useless though. Even a hack like Whitehouse was an improvement over this clown.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 07:52:41 AM »

Alone that does not make a person a conservative. Of course to a Gay person thats more then enough, and explains Mr. Moderates failed attempt to question my judgement. Roll Eyes

Several people have said he was too moderate to win a Presidential nomination and many other conservatives have labeled him a rino in the past.

He's tried to hold an at least moderately conservative line on taxes too for all the good that's done him. It's futile though. Until we kick out the usual morons in the GA there's no way taxes or regulations will ever be brought in line to even Massachusetts levels.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 07:55:14 AM »

He's tried to hold an at least moderately conservative line on taxes too for all the good that's done him. It's futile though. Until we kick out the usual morons in the GA there's no way taxes or regulations will ever be brought in line to even Massachusetts levels.

His wikipedia article doesn't list his postions and the Ontheissues.org article is basically blank. Whats his position on abortion? Though I don't consider it the litmus test of conservativism, many other conservatives do.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 07:58:04 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2010, 08:03:35 AM by atomtan™ »

http://www.lifenews.com/state3790.html

Fairly vocally pro life, I'm sort of surprised they haven't updated. As far as economic issues go he's a moderate (see his stance on the stimulus), he just sounds conservative compared to the legislature.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 08:07:57 AM »

http://www.lifenews.com/state3790.html

Fairly vocally pro life, I'm sort of surprised they haven't updated. As far as economic issues go he's a moderate (see his stance on the stimulus), he just sounds conservative compared to the legislature.

So a conservative leaning populist.

The reason I made an issue about is because everyone called Stephen Laffey a "conservative" when actually he was a Pro-Life Liberal a Liberal leaning Populist according to Ontheissues. I figured RI media people tends to exaggerate the conservatism of certain candidates.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 08:17:17 AM »

Keep in mind that's the same site that lists Giuliani as a 'libertarian leaning conservative'....
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »

Keep in mind that's the same site that lists Giuliani as a 'libertarian leaning conservative'....

Granted it isn't perfect, but my point still stands, that in my view because of RI leftward bent, it tends to view "conservative leaning candidates" as being more conservative then they really are.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies