Who Is the Most Economically Liberal Republican Politician In Office Right Now? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:48:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Who Is the Most Economically Liberal Republican Politician In Office Right Now? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who Is the Most Economically Liberal Republican Politician In Office Right Now?  (Read 24306 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« on: January 01, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »
« edited: January 01, 2010, 05:30:27 PM by HawkishDemocrat »

You can only choose from both houses of Congress and any governor of any U.S. state.

When I said "Economically Liberal" I mean someone who supports an economic policy that favors ordinary Americans at the expense of the rich. I guess Chris Smith (Representative from NJ-04) would be a viable option. It's sad that there are very few economically liberal Republicans left after Reagan and Bush Sr. purged most of them from the party or forced them to change their economic positions and embrace "trickle-down economics." Back before Reagan there were many economically liberal Republicans: Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford, Rockefeller, and even Bush Sr. (before he flip-flopped his positions) come to mind. I'm sure there were much more than that, though.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 06:43:07 PM »

This is BS, there were many Rockefeller and Goldwater Republicans long after the Reagan/Bush Sr. Reagan trully beleived in a big tent party and brought in members from all across the party like Sen Mark Hatfield and John Chafee into the discussions and meetings. Unlike Bush who ostracized on purpose Jim Jeffords speeding up his leaving the party and began the era of purge the moderates in 2001.

Goldwater Republicans are NOT liberal on economic issues. As for the Rockefeller Republicans that remained after Reagan/Bush Sr., they were mostly moderate/liberal on social issues, but became very conservative on economic issues (even though some of them might have been more liberal on economic issues before Reagan/Bush Sr. came into power).
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:42:32 AM »

Tom Coburn is not a liberal either even by European definition, under which even that there is a different between liberal and conservative. You don't see Coburn fitting well in the Liberal Democrats or Democrats 66 even economically do you? A European economic liberal would be like Mark Kirk (at least before he started running for Senate and got all teabaggy.)

Obviously Coburn wouldn't fit well in a liberal party, but nobody's calling him a liberal. His economic policies, howeber, are extremely neoliberal.

Far right economically != neoliberal. Lots of extremist libertarians hate neoliberals. I know Bono does.

Is Bono really a libertarian? I thought he was a liberal.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »

You can only choose from both houses of Congress and any governor of any U.S. state.

When I said "Economically Liberal" I mean someone who supports an economic policy that favors ordinary Americans at the expense of the rich.

Using that definition, Ron Paul.

Haha very funny.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »

I'm still not clear but what "economically liberal" means in the context of this thread.

Are "ordinary Americans" small businesspeople, middle class, working class, the poor, or what?

I would say Ron Paul for non-corporatist definitions, but he would certainly seem to favor businesspeople over workers.  Not sure if we're using a more left-leaning populist definition.

Yes, ordinary people are small businesspeople, middle class, working class, and the poor in the context of this question.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies