Would you support full body scan screening at airports?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:26:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would you support full body scan screening at airports?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes, safety first.

Yes, reluctantly

No, but I understand

Absolutley NOT!!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Would you support full body scan screening at airports?  (Read 5083 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 11:47:59 AM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 01:29:21 PM »

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 01:31:54 PM »

Where does being seen "naked" on an x-ray screen stop?  I'm not understanding to where this slippery slope is being alleged to lead.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »

I suppose they think the slope is leading to random or even mandatory full strip searches.

Actually I don't think full body scanning is that big of a deal, it doesn't result in X-ray vision to see under women's clothes like a teenage boy wishes for. You can't see much on it, the person appears as a white silhouette, with any objects they're carrying below their clothes sticking out clearly making guns and the like visible. Still wouldn't support it though because it's not really necessary.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »

Where does being seen "naked" on an x-ray screen stop?  I'm not understanding to where this slippery slope is being alleged to lead.

What happens if we put up x-ray screeners in every airport, and a terrorist attack still succeeds?  What then?  Where do we draw the line?  You know as well as I do that nothing will ultimately stop a terrorist if he (or she) is determined and clever enough to evade whatever measures we enact in an effort to stop them.  
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2009, 03:42:41 PM »

Mandatory, random full strip searches would be horrible for business.  Having body scanners is not going to change that or desensitize people to it.  Being stripped in front of multiple people is violating even if you're an exhibitionist -- that's a power dynamic thing, not really an exposure thing.  This is overanalyzing, though, but as an inevitable slippery slope, that seems weaksauce.

I have no idea if it's effective when it comes to cost-benefits. But I will say that the embarrassment of this is essentially nil, so unless you're going commando, the worker in another room seeing your skivvies does not seem bad.  And even this doesn't seem especially violating to me.

I'm sure there are better arguments against it, though.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2009, 03:44:23 PM »

Where does being seen "naked" on an x-ray screen stop?  I'm not understanding to where this slippery slope is being alleged to lead.

What happens if we put up x-ray screeners in every airport, and a terrorist attack still succeeds?  What then?  Where do we draw the line?  You know as well as I do that nothing will ultimately stop a terrorist if he (or she) is determined and clever enough to evade whatever measures we enact in an effort to stop them.  

Yes, but that's an argument against any expensive security precaution, which is totally fair game.  Obviously, if it ain't effective or worth the cost, forget about it.  I was only criticizing "when will the violation of privacy end?" type arguments.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2009, 03:54:23 PM »

Not to be willingly obtuse, but is there some hidden privacy violation here that I'm not understanding?

A legal one?  God knows.

If the scanners see through everything, then obviously every woman is going to object to their privates being on a screen, also people with prosthetic devices which don't set off the detectors will have those in plain view, and of couse guys with small penises won't be happy Wink .

It's a decency/privacy thing.....and unless you haven't seen the quality of our TSA screeners, I'll tell ya, I don't want some grocery store reject screener to have that kind of access.

Sounds like your dream job!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2009, 10:16:22 PM »

No.

I fly home in a few hours. Let's see how things are.
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 11:29:57 PM »

Yep.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »

Option 1  I'd rather give up some privacy if it means safety.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2010, 11:59:25 PM »

Option 1  I'd rather give up some privacy if it means safety.

Sounds like you deserve neither. Wink
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 09:25:28 AM »

What I don't understand is this - we have the technology to send a space ship to the edges of our solar system, but we don't have the technology to scan for all that we need to scan for without some TSA slug staring at Mr. Happy on the screen?

I swear these scanner manufacturors hold back on the technology so they can produce "new and improved" equipment on a regular basis and rake in the cash.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 09:47:01 AM »

What I don't understand is this - we have the technology to send a space ship to the edges of our solar system, but we don't have the technology to scan for all that we need to scan for without some TSA slug staring at Mr. Happy on the screen?

I swear these scanner manufacturors hold back on the technology so they can produce "new and improved" equipment on a regular basis and rake in the cash.

Because I doubt that a machine can the difference between your Mr. Happy and an explosive device.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 09:56:52 AM »

Because I doubt that a machine can the difference between your Mr. Happy and an explosive device.

I'm not even going there, J.J. Wink
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »

We had those scanners in Iraq back in 2006.  You can see everything and anything in those.  One of my MP Soldiers actually caught an Iraqi, coming into our FOB, with a gerbil-like creature - you can figure out where it was located! 

Are they effective for secuirty? YES 
Should they be used? I'm on the fence of this.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2010, 07:08:44 PM »

I just found the roll call vote to prohibit this. Passed by 310-118 with 75.7% of the Dems in favor and 67.8% of the GOP in favor. I would have expected a bigger split. Perhaps it's more of a libertarian-populist issue than liberal-conservative. Anyone see any other patterns?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »

I just found the roll call vote to prohibit this. Passed by 310-118 with 75.7% of the Dems in favor and 67.8% of the GOP in favor. I would have expected a bigger split. Perhaps it's more of a libertarian-populist issue than liberal-conservative. Anyone see any other patterns?

Well this makes things easier in deciding on these Senate races...

No   IL-10   Kirk, Mark [R]
No   PA-7   Sestak, Joe [D]
No   DE-0   Castle, Michael [R]

I hope these three lose.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2010, 11:11:44 PM »

Only if the person looked like a terrorist. Common sense can work wonders.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2010, 11:42:48 PM »

I would rather die in a plane crash then have all my privacy rights stripped away.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2010, 12:18:57 AM »

I'd let someone scan my entire body but only if it were a really hot woman.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 12:19:44 AM »

I'd let someone scan my entire body but only if it were a really hot woman.

What if it was a hot guy?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2010, 12:22:06 AM »

How about they have two lines separated by gender. Males are scanned only by hot female staff and females are scanned only by hot male staff. That'd work.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2010, 07:05:32 PM »

How about they have two lines separated by gender. Males are scanned only by hot female staff and females are scanned only by hot male staff. That'd work.

Probably not. What happens if the person is a transvestite or gay? What happens if theirs a shortage of workers of one gender and the men's line takes 10 hours? What about children? Who scans children?

I'd let em do it. If the guy wants to stare at my junk for a bit longer on a weird negative then so be it, he'll be staring long enough to miss the guy behind me with the bomb.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2010, 11:01:07 PM »

This is hysterical. They would look at certain things instead of search for bombs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies