Who could defeat Barbara Boxer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:51:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Who could defeat Barbara Boxer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who could defeat Barbara Boxer?  (Read 18936 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »

Carly Fiorina?
Chuck DeVore?
Or is there someone else out there that could win. Perhaps Darrell Issa or Duncan Hunter Senior?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 03:34:52 PM »

Presumably, only Barbara Boxer can defeat Barbara Boxer.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 04:32:45 PM »

She won't lose unless it's a landslide for Republicans and she will be carried onto victory with Jerry Brown's coattails.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »

Jerry Brown isn't going to win. A far-left Dem isn't going to be entrusted to govern the state with a legislature that is also controlled by far-left dems. Davis was only able to win because he ran as a moderate, but Brown can't run as one, his record is too liberal to.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 04:39:57 PM »

Well, the last poll taken had it D+6 over Meg Whittman. We will have to see on that one. But Boxer or Feinstein will probably not lose anytime soon.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 04:57:08 PM »

Right now, I expect that no one will defeat her.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 05:46:11 PM »

Steve Poizner or Tom Campbell, though they are both running for Governor. I don't think there are any other Republicans contemplating statewide runs who could win at this time.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 06:11:20 PM »

This. The only person who could potentially do it is running for Governor, and hopefully will win.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 06:31:46 PM »

Steve Poizner or Tom Campbell, though they are both running for Governor. I don't think there are any other Republicans contemplating statewide runs who could win at this time.

Yeah I would prefer one of them to run for senate instead of governor, but don't any of you think that Fiorina could win? I know her time at HP was controversial, but she has been handling herself well so far since she announced she was running, and she has still kept Boxer at below 50% in most polls.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 06:43:49 PM »

Yeah I would prefer one of them to run for senate instead of governor, but don't any of you think that Fiorina could win? I know her time at HP was controversial, but she has been handling herself well so far since she announced she was running, and she has still kept Boxer at below 50% in most polls.

I find that businesspersons tend to be unimpressive candidates, sizeable personal funds aside. There are exceptions, like Steve Poizner, but I never hold strong hopes for CEO candidates.

Boxer has middling approval ratings, so it doesn't surprise me that much that she is under 50% at this stage. If she's still under 50% after Labor Day, I'll be inclined to view her as vulnerable.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 08:07:35 PM »

Fiorina will go down in flames.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 08:28:01 PM »

Fiorina has been running of the worst campaigns ever and will get trounced.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »

her campaign has not been the worst campaigns ever, I strongly disagree with that, but "Carlyfornia" was as much of a website disaster as I've ever seen.

But Fiorina has one of the worst candidate biographies I've ever seen, and she DID get fired from the McCain campaign for repeated incompetence.  The only reason the Republican establishment is touting her is because she can self-fund her campaign.

Boxer has been holding her fire, but once she drops $8million to let California voters know how Carly's tenure at HP went (from being paid to leave to violating sanctions against Iran), I doubt the anti-Boxer vote would be that significant.  
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 09:40:27 PM »

No one will defeat Boxer.

Jerry Brown isn't going to win. A far-left Dem isn't going to be entrusted to govern the state with a legislature that is also controlled by far-left dems. Davis was only able to win because he ran as a moderate, but Brown can't run as one, his record is too liberal to.

Jerry Brown has already won statewide 4 times, 2 as governor.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 09:44:07 PM »

California was also a much more right-wing place back when Jerry Brown was elected Governor in the 1970s.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 10:18:02 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2009, 10:22:16 PM by redcommander »

No one will defeat Boxer.

Harold Stassen also had an impressive political background, but continually seeking political office like Jerry Brown has, didn't make him president. Seriously though, the California GOP if they are going to run someone against Boxer should at least try harder at persuading Poizner or Campbell to run against her. I don't see her being able to win against either of the two. It would be nice to have at least more than one Republican senator besides Lisa Murkowski on the West Coast again
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 12:35:31 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2009, 12:49:59 AM by Lunar »

Seriously though, the California GOP if they are going to run someone against Boxer should at least try harder at persuading Poizner or Campbell to run against her. I don't see her being able to win against either of the two.

Don't you think you might be overestimating the GOP's chances just a little here?  I like Tom Campbell a lot, he's the only person on any side of the governor's race offering anything but annoying platitudes toward California's fundamental woes, but I also like Cal Cunningham over in North Carolina (a lot more purple of a state) and I'm not sitting around proclaiming he cannot be beaten in his challenge against Burr, let alone that he would be favored.  No matter who the GOP nominates, even if it's Jesus himself, they're going to have a hard-fought, uphill battle in California.  

Fiorina is such a weak candidate.

To say that you "can't see [Boxer] being able to win against either of the two" would be to place this race in the top 3 or higher in terms of competitiveness in the country.  Apologies, but this is almost laughable.    Boxer is probably somewhere between the 7th and 11th most likely Democrat to fall should the Republicans experience a wave in the Senate races.  

Boxer's polling numbers aren't great, but that does not mean she is seriously out of step with the state, it's just general anti-incumbent attitudes that will adjust to the bombardment of negative advertising that will hit Fiorina.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I can think of a mainstream candidate in recent history who has a worse biography than Fiorina.  Some people on this forum don't even consider her to be an "overrated" candidate because of her widely acknowledged inevitable demise.  

Full disclosure:  I've spent a number of hours working for the Boxer campaign.  Hundreds of Tea Partiers who responded to her email blasts with disgustingly sexist remarks found themselves unsubscribed from the mailing list courtesy of some of my efforts Smiley
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 01:29:44 AM »

Seriously though, the California GOP if they are going to run someone against Boxer should at least try harder at persuading Poizner or Campbell to run against her. I don't see her being able to win against either of the two.

Don't you think you might be overestimating the GOP's chances just a little here?  I like Tom Campbell a lot, he's the only person on any side of the governor's race offering anything but annoying platitudes toward California's fundamental woes, but I also like Cal Cunningham over in North Carolina (a lot more purple of a state) and I'm not sitting around proclaiming he cannot be beaten in his challenge against Burr, let alone that he would be favored.  No matter who the GOP nominates, even if it's Jesus himself, they're going to have a hard-fought, uphill battle in California.  

Fiorina is such a weak candidate.

To say that you "can't see [Boxer] being able to win against either of the two" would be to place this race in the top 3 or higher in terms of competitiveness in the country.  Apologies, but this is almost laughable.    Boxer is probably somewhere between the 7th and 11th most likely Democrat to fall should the Republicans experience a wave in the Senate races.  

Boxer's polling numbers aren't great, but that does not mean she is seriously out of step with the state, it's just general anti-incumbent attitudes that will adjust to the bombardment of negative advertising that will hit Fiorina.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I can think of a mainstream candidate in recent history who has a worse biography than Fiorina.  Some people on this forum don't even consider her to be an "overrated" candidate because of her widely acknowledged inevitable demise.  

Full disclosure:  I've spent a number of hours working for the Boxer campaign.  Hundreds of Tea Partiers who responded to her email blasts with disgustingly sexist remarks found themselves unsubscribed from the mailing list courtesy of some of my efforts Smiley

Maybe I was a little too confident, but she has had so many missteps in just the last year, that it would be more difficult this time around for her to win. I haven't heard about Cal Cunningham, but would like to hear more info. His website is still under development, so I don't really know what issues he would be running on against Burr.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 01:59:36 AM »

I don't think he knows what his issues will be either yet.  He'll probably lose, frankly. 
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 02:01:39 AM »

Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 02:50:46 AM »

Me
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 08:44:49 PM »

lol?

No Republican will win a major statewide office next year.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2010, 09:37:58 PM »

That's what you think.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 09:57:24 PM »

Mmm, they might get something... but not if they just run generic R's, which are currently winning the primary polls for both governor and senator. Maldonado would probably make the state controller race as competitive as a state controller race can possibly get, if he makes it out of the primary. As long as he's not my senator anymore, I don't care.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies