Baron Hill for Governor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:54:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Baron Hill for Governor?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Baron Hill for Governor?  (Read 3203 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »

Reading his voting record that JS put up,  I doubt I could support Pence, but I want to see him in action. JS's mention of Dobson in connection with Pence is off putting for me of course. I quite dislike Dobson. He is not only Manichean, in the wrong direction, but he seems like a dyspeptic old coot to me. At least when one gets old, one should attempt to pretend to be cheerful.  Smiley

Having said all of that, when I think of Palin, and Huckabee, and well even Romney whom I don't trust at all, because I don't think telling the truth is a high priority with him (and when folks start thinking their POTUS is a liar we are in big trouble for a host of reasons), Pence might be better than that crew don't you think?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 01:02:12 PM »

I'm too lazy to look it up, but there's a laughable Pence video posted on the Forum a couple of months ago as a quasi-presidential bid piece. That should scare the pants off you, Torie.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »

Reading his voting record that JS put up,  I doubt I could support Pence, but I want to see him in action. JS's mention of Dobson in connection with Pence is off putting for me of course. I quite dislike Dobson. He is not only Manichean, in the wrong direction, but he seems like a dyspeptic old coot to me. At least when one gets old, one should attempt to pretend to be cheerful.  Smiley

Having said all of that, when I think of Palin, and Huckabee, and well even Romney whom I don't trust at all, because I don't think telling the truth is a high priority with him (and when folks start thinking their POTUS is a liar we are in big trouble for a host of reasons), Pence might be better than that crew don't you think?

Choosing between Dick Nixon and Tailgunner Joe is no choice at all.

For a rightie, it would be like having to choose between Bill Jefferson and Dennis Kucinich.  Come on, Torie...where are the Tories and NiKs and Bullmooses?  (Or is that Bullmeese?)
politicalchick20
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 05:21:28 PM »

I'm too lazy to look it up, but there's a laughable Pence video posted on the Forum a couple of months ago as a quasi-presidential bid piece. That should scare the pants off you, Torie.

I don't know how many others saw this, but I saw it when it aired on TV and, no matter what else I may see of Pence, I can't help but think of this when it comes to him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yVAXctyqqc

Like JS said, he seems like a nice guy (I haven't met him personally, though, so this is just based on what I've seen on TV), but I can't help but be amused/scared whenever I see this clip (there are longer versions too, for those who are interested, but this is the gist of it).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2010, 08:21:41 PM »

Badger, is that the link put up above, where Pence dodged the evolution question?  I don't consider that particularly frightening per se, because evolution is not a public policy issue, except in secondary schools. What Pence is doing of course if pandering to the anti-evolution crowd in the GOP and in his base, who he doesn't want to offend. Yes, that is cowardly, but then most politicians tend to be cowardly in that way, and loathe to say anything that offends their base, or part of it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »

Badger, is that the link put up above, where Pence dodged the evolution question?  I don't consider that particularly frightening per se, because evolution is not a public policy issue, except in secondary schools. What Pence is doing of course if pandering to the anti-evolution crowd in the GOP and in his base, who he doesn't want to offend. Yes, that is cowardly, but then most politicians tend to be cowardly in that way, and loathe to say anything that offends their base, or part of it.

No, that link is new to me, but unsurprising. I do consider a candidate's view on evolution important, Torie, as I think it's a strong litmus test for how the candidate is going to kowtow to the religious right on national issues like picking science and education advisers, court picks, and their general approach to science and education in general. e.g. Can you really trust a president to seriously address global warming if he purports to beleive--regardless of by conviction or political expediency--that the world is barely 6000 years old?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies