Predctions on Election 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:56:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Predctions on Election 2004
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Predctions on Election 2004  (Read 7832 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2004, 07:06:15 PM »

I believe being pre-emptive is wrong if the ultimate goal is to create a colony out of the vanquished nation. But the U.S. goes in to countries with the goal of freeing the peoples or destroying a tyrant.

That's at the very best dubious in general. The US, like most countries, usually have some sort of self-interest in the wars you fight. There seem to be some sincerity in Afghanistan and Iraq though, I'll give you that. I am not saying that pre-emptive wars are always wrong, but I don't think they're always right wither. I'm in the middle, as usual.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2004, 01:52:23 AM »

I think the majority of the wars we have fought have been sincere. World War 1 is questionable to begin with, WW2 to free the oppressed peoples of Europe and Asia. Korea, to stop the spread of a repressives Communist Govt. Vietnam, can be looked at the same as Korea, although us getting involved in a Civil War was a failure. First Iraq war to liberate Kuwait. The Balkan mess, to give the people of that region peace. I agree that some other motives may have been in some of these wars, but why we went to these countries in the first place was because of a good heart.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2004, 02:08:23 AM »

but why we went to these countries in the first place was because of a good heart.

Yes.  Americans hearts are in the right place.  Unfortunately, people with good hearts can sometimes be manipulated.  We  should be careful with our future.  We are now engaged in two wars.  The President and the congress have their hands full.  Don't buy into that horseshít about WWI being the first 'moral war.'  All wars ever fought, in the history of our species, were fought over gold.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2004, 02:15:53 AM »

but why we went to these countries in the first place was because of a good heart.

Yes.  Americans hearts are in the right place.  Unfortunately, people with good hearts can sometimes be manipulated.  We  should be careful with our future.  We are now engaged in two wars.  The President and the congress have their hands full.  Don't buy into that horseshít about WWI being the first 'moral war.'  All wars ever fought, in the history of our species, were fought over gold.

WW 1 wasnt a moral war. I actually think Austria had a right to defend itself after their Archduke was killed.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2004, 05:31:49 PM »

WW 1 wasnt a moral war. I actually think Austria had a right to defend itself after their Archduke was killed.

WWI was the last war of old imperialism. Austria wanted to subdue Serbia, that's why they went to war, but that's beside the point. THere would have been a war for whatever reason, it wasn't really b/c of the murder, that was just a timely trigger.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2004, 05:34:29 PM »

I think the majority of the wars we have fought have been sincere. World War 1 is questionable to begin with, WW2 to free the oppressed peoples of Europe and Asia. Korea, to stop the spread of a repressives Communist Govt. Vietnam, can be looked at the same as Korea, although us getting involved in a Civil War was a failure. First Iraq war to liberate Kuwait. The Balkan mess, to give the people of that region peace. I agree that some other motives may have been in some of these wars, but why we went to these countries in the first place was because of a good heart.

I'll now quote myself: 'The US, like most countries, usually have some sort of self-interest in the wars you fight'. I maintain that this goes for all or most of the above mentioned wars. I am not saying that there weren't good intentions involved also. but the obvious question to whoever claims that that was the only reason is why you involved yourself in those speicifc wars and not in a whole bunch of others? And the answer is national interest, I'd say.
zachman

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2004, 05:40:16 PM »

Of course we should have a national interest in the wars we fight. We had a national interest after we were attacked in Pearl Harbor or to annex Texas in the Mexican-American war. All American wars for land or retalliation security have been fought for a national interest.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2004, 06:25:38 PM »

They certainly did, and I mourn the loss of that wonderful old Empire - it certainly kept the people of the Balkans from slaughtering each other, as they've done whenever unsubjugated.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2004, 06:27:44 PM »

They certainly did, and I mourn the loss of that wonderful old Empire - it certainly kept the people of the Balkans from slaughtering each other, as they've done whenever unsubjugated.

It was unsustainable. It didn't keep people from killing each other, it just pissed them of. Large units create hatred and eventual war.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies