Has anyone ever managed this density calculation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:53:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Has anyone ever managed this density calculation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has anyone ever managed this density calculation?  (Read 1523 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »

Median number of residents within a distance (say, one square mile) in a given geography.

Wouldn't this pretty much solve all of the problems associated with current density calculations?
platypeanArchcow

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:17:38 PM »

Uhm, what space are you taking the median over?  As in, the median number of people within a mile of a given person?  Or is it over area?  Because in the latter case it's not really useful if your area is poorly defined: it might include lots of empty space and also lots of people, e.g. it might be LA County.  I don't feel like thinking right now about what the first variant might yield.

In any case this might be hard partly because some census blocks are very large.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:33:06 AM »

Uhm, what space are you taking the median over?  As in, the median number of people within a mile of a given person?  Or is it over area?  Because in the latter case it's not really useful if your area is poorly defined: it might include lots of empty space and also lots of people, e.g. it might be LA County.  I don't feel like thinking right now about what the first variant might yield.

In any case this might be hard partly because some census blocks are very large.

The idea is to calculate the number of people within an area (say one square mile) for every person within a geography.  The problem in a place like L.A. County would be the amount of processing power required to calculate it for each block, which would then be represented proportionally to the number of people in that block.  Like, if a block had 50 people on it, and blocks within a square mile had 6,000, it would count for the overall average as 50 people who had 6,000 people within a square mile -- since blocks are the lowest level of data, we'd be forced to act like they all inhabit the same area.

The idea here would be that this would better represent the actual density experienced by the population.  As it stands, density calculations of areas including non-residential areas give a misleading portrait of density.  If a city annexes an industrial park, its density goes down, but does the density of its population really go down?  Population density is only demographically useful when it tells you what density a given resident of a geography experiences.  As it stands, population density just tells you what that would be like if every resident of the geography spread themselves out equidistantly. Tongue

(Census tracts are very large population-wise.  Census blocks are...well, a block, or in rural areas, whatever is contiguous without a road or body of water.)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:52:27 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2009, 01:54:08 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

It sounds like you want the mean of the square of the density. This is related to the standard deviation s and mean m of the density as s^2+m^2. Often the square root of the mean of the square is used for various things, and abbreviated RMS.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 02:26:29 AM »

It sounds like you want the mean of the square of the density. This is related to the standard deviation s and mean m of the density as s^2+m^2. Often the square root of the mean of the square is used for various things, and abbreviated RMS.

I'm not sure, but probably not the same thing (too tired to do math I'm not fluent in), even if it's the same spirit.  In this calculation, it wouldn't matter if another resident of the county was 5 miles away or 50 miles away; once they left a given range, they wouldn't be counted.  I suppose that might be a weakness.

The idea, put most simply is:

For every resident of a geography, calculate how many other residents fall within x distance.  Take the median of this.

It just happens that the lowest level we can calculate this at in the Census is the block level.

So...you tell me.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:49:42 AM »

I wish I could help, but I can't. I'm not too knowledgeable in these things. Sorry.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies