How Confident Are You That Whatever HCR Bill is Passed Will Be a Net Gain?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:50:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How Confident Are You That Whatever HCR Bill is Passed Will Be a Net Gain?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: How Confident Are You?  By this I mean the slightest of net gains
Very (initial HCR supporter)

Somewhat (initial HCR supporter)

Not At All (initial HCR supporter)

Somewhat (raw rah government bad)

Not At All (raw rah government bad)

Obama Won't Sign a Bill

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: How Confident Are You That Whatever HCR Bill is Passed Will Be a Net Gain?  (Read 7672 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 01:56:17 AM »

I'd rather not be forced to pay a tax if I make the individual choice not to purchase health insurance.  That's my damn fcuking right as a human being.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 02:04:07 AM »

I'd rather not be forced to pay a tax if I make the individual choice not to purchase health insurance.  That's my damn fcuking right as a human being.

Who do you think shoulders the huge costs when the uninsured wind up in the emergency room?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 02:19:44 AM »

Option 3
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 02:22:38 AM »

It really isn't.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 02:29:14 AM »

I will grant you that on one condition.  If anything ever does happen to you, and you can't afford the treatment, the hospital costs, etc you just die instead of seeking treatment and passing the costs on to everyone else.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 02:32:33 AM »

Taxes are privilege reduction, PL.  When you are taxed the use of force by the state to exact your income from your inferiors in the hierarchy is reduced, and some of the resultant fund is returned to them in the form of health care.

That is, if you are a rich.  If you are an ordinary worker, then you have nothing to worry about as you are already a victim and it is unlikely to get any worse.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 03:28:47 AM »

Option five. Still, regardless of what happens, hopefully this saga will succeed in instilling a sufficiently cynical world view into my generation.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 03:34:26 AM »

I'm really only concerned about the provision of free medical care for those under approximately the 'poverty line', but yeah, whatever is passed cannot be any worse than the total exclusion from health care which was the case before.
Yes because they check pay stubs before operating on unconscious people with bullet holes in them at every hospital in the "Bad Place".  Do you really think spouting lies that everybody knows are lies (even you) helps your cause?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 03:38:41 AM »

There is absolutely no chance of there being net gains. Whatever gets passed will make things worse.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 04:00:19 AM »

There is absolutely no chance of there being net gains. Whatever gets passed will make things worse.

Evidence.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 05:20:29 AM »

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 05:23:22 AM »

Evidence.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 05:23:39 AM »

What
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »

I'm really only concerned about the provision of free medical care for those under approximately the 'poverty line', but yeah, whatever is passed cannot be any worse than the total exclusion from health care which was the case before.
Yes because they check pay stubs before operating on unconscious people with bullet holes in them at every hospital in the "Bad Place".  Do you really think spouting lies that everybody knows are lies (even you) helps your cause?

It's just as intellectually dishonest, though, to claim that people do have access to real healthcare. Sure, if they're having a heart attack, they're going to be treated in the ER (at the cost of people who do have insurance, of course.)

What about someone who has cancer? What about consulting with a doctor so you don't have that heart attack in the first place?

Emergency care isn't the main problem here.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 12:52:37 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 12:56:03 PM »

Option five. Still, regardless of what happens, hopefully this saga will succeed in instilling a sufficiently cynical world view into my generation.

Or, your generation could just read history. Then we wouldn't have to repeat a political nightmare every 25 years just to "instill a sufficiently cynical world view".

Anyway, I predict that if this passes, none of the apocalyptic tales of doom will come true, but by the time that is apparent, no one will be talking about it anymore.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2009, 12:58:04 PM »

Self-portrait of you crying because you can't get expanded healthcare fascism passed?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2009, 01:35:37 PM »

Self-portrait of you crying because you can't get expanded healthcare fascism passed?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2009, 01:38:52 PM »

Please stop murdering the English language by misusing words like "fascism." And in case you can't read (which would actually explain quite a bit...) I've made it clear on this forum that I'm actually relatively happy with the bill.

And Winston, I know that having original thoughts are really difficult, but surely you could try and post a couple of them, in between parroting whatever dreck you read in Ayn Rand or whatever random libertarian blog you get your nonsense from and quoting Libertass' posts verbatim.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2009, 01:41:38 PM »

I have no idea at the present time what will happen - none, zero, nada.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »

Please stop murdering the English language by misusing words like "fascism." And in case you can't read (which would actually explain quite a bit...) I've made it clear on this forum that I'm actually relatively happy with the bill.

And Winston, I know that having original thoughts are really difficult, but surely you could try and post a couple of them, in between parroting whatever dreck you read in Ayn Rand or whatever random libertarian blog you get your nonsense from and quoting Libertass' posts verbatim.

I'm not an objectivist, moron. I'm anti-violence. If you knew anything about politics, you'd know Ayn Rand HATED libertarians, but you don't because you're an idiot.

Also, he pretty much summed up what needed to be said. How about YOU come up with an original thought for once, rather than just parroting the other Dems and being a hack?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 01:45:02 PM »

Objectivism, whatever you call being an entitled brat with no perspective, they're both stupid and childish ideologies.

He "summed up what needed to be said" by misusing the word "fascism" and accusing me of feelings I do not feel?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 01:46:31 PM »

Objectivism, whatever you call being an entitled brat with no perspective, they're both stupid and childish ideologies.

He "summed up what needed to be said" by misusing the word "fascism" and accusing me of feelings I do not feel?

Thanks for that, you've really enlightened me as to the advantage of your system. Not.

No, he just summed up you posting a image rather than actually responding to genuine complaints about Obamacare. Why the hell should anyone have to pay tax for something they might not even use?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 01:52:58 PM »

Why the hell should anyone have to pay tax for something they might not even use?

What's the purpose of any government programs at all then?

Now I know your answer is to abolish all of them....but there's no way to discuss things rationally with people like you.

What do you suggest is done instead of collectively assuming risk through government provided insurance (or at least funded with an individual mandate). Do you think people that are unable to pay should simply be denied care? YES or NO?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »

Thanks for that, you've really enlightened me as to the advantage of your system. Not.

No, he just summed up you posting a image rather than actually responding to genuine complaints about Obamacare. Why the hell should anyone have to pay tax for something they might not even use?

Because that's the entire basis of a social insurance system. Everyone pays in a small amount, so that there is a large amount of money to help people when they need it. For the system to work though, you can't have free-riders. What the mandate does is prevent free-riding. The free-riding problem is even worse if you regulate the industry so that they cannot deny coverage for pre-existing conditions. If there was both this regulation and a lack of a mandate, then people would wait until they were sick to purchase insurance and stop paying for it after they were healthy again. This would punish the responsible people who don't abuse the system, by forcing insurance companies to ask for higher premiums. What the mandate is, is a question of fairness and shared responsibility. Through mutual cooperation and responsibility (everyone paying into the insurance pool), we can keep these costs down for everyone AND protect people in case they actually do need some expensive procedure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies