Can Artur Davis get out the black vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:59:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Can Artur Davis get out the black vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Artur Davis get out the black vote?  (Read 5534 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2009, 02:17:45 AM »

Will having another black candidate on the top of the Alabama ticket help Parker Griffith and Bobby Bright at all in their re-election bids?  Having Obama at the top of the ticket almost certainly pushed these two over the top in 2008.  I'm wondering if Artur Davis will have the same effect.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 02:34:42 AM »

He doesn't want to be the "black candidate" that's for sure.  I think this race is going to tell us a lot about racial politics in the South during the Obama era. 

If you want a good quick read about, I suggest this Smith blog post:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1209/Race_and_politics_in_Alabama.html

Artur would love to have a ton of Sister Souljah moments.  He knows he'll have to take the black vote for granted to some extent since even if they are super motivated, that won't be enough to win a majority unless he faces off against Mr. 10 Commandments (and even then it'll be an uphill climb).

He'll likely lose, but he'll get a position in the Obama administration afterward and we'll all get some great information from that race.  It'll teach us a lot about what works and what doesn't work in this sort of context.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:50:20 AM »

I'm not sure we can say that Obama helped both Bright and Griffin in 2008. Griffin comes from a district which has been in Democratic hands for generations: northern blue collar Alabama, while Bright won mostly due his own popularity in the district. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:57:40 PM »

I'm not sure we can say that Obama helped both Bright and Griffin in 2008. Griffin comes from a district which has been in Democratic hands for generations: northern blue collar Alabama, while Bright won mostly due his own popularity in the district. 

I don't think Bright would have won had Obama not greatly increased black turnout, but I would argue that Obama's presence on the ticket actually hurt Griffith a lot.
timmer123
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:20:42 PM »

I highly doubt black turnout is high enough to save either of them.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 02:29:50 AM »

I sadly doubt it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 08:08:59 AM »

Black turnout caused by Obama undoubtely helped Bright, but not Obama himself. Nothing would hurth Bobby more, than President comes to his district.

Griffin? His district is mostly white anyway.
timmer123
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 12:36:14 AM »

Just listen to yourselves.  This conversation is pathetic.  Basically what you're saying is that Democrats can't win elections unless on issues and candidates, they have to rely on blacks come to the polls to vote for a black guy, and at the same time vote for a Democrat for the House just because he has a D next to his name. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 01:57:50 AM »

Why does it matter whether we hold Bright and Griffith's seats? They both vote like Republicans; they've opposed the stimulus, health care and cap and trade. They're useless and they'll be draining DCCC money.
timmer123
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 02:03:57 AM »

With respect, friend, thank God you don't live here and you can't vote here.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »

With respect, friend, thank God you don't live here and you can't vote here.

Live where? Alabama? I also thank God each and every day that I do not live there.
timmer123
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 11:53:02 PM »

Alabama's not too bad a place, but, I meant the US in general.  If you support the economic "stimulus," cap and trade, and Obama/Reid/Pelosi health care reform, I am glad you cannot vote here.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 01:44:42 AM »

Alabama's not too bad a place, but, I meant the US in general.  If you support the economic "stimulus," cap and trade, and Obama/Reid/Pelosi health care reform, I am glad you cannot vote here.

Er, I do live in the United States. I attend university in DC and my permanent address is in Texas. Also I'm a US citizen and vote.

And yes, I support all of those things, because I am not a crazy person and those are all pretty moderate, pragmatic reforms.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 02:17:26 PM »

He probably could, but the extent depends on how the African-American community in Alabama views Davis's conservative positions on some issues. I have a feeling that he might be more conservative than they want, so that might somewhat depress turnout. However, he will probably have at least some success in getting out the black vote due to identity politics.
DariusNJ

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »

Yes. He may be conservative, but blacks in Alabama are going to support his candidacy just like they did with Obama.

The key is the white vote.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 05:16:05 PM »

Er, I do live in the United States. I attend university in DC and my permanent address is in Texas. Also I'm a US citizen and vote.

And yes, I support all of those things, because I am not a crazy person and those are all pretty moderate, pragmatic reforms.

LOL, maybe in France
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »

LOL, maybe in France
More like in almost all developed nations, slugger.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »

Yes. He may be conservative, but blacks in Alabama are going to support his candidacy just like they did with Obama.

The problem is making black voters actually turn out, not how they vote once they do.
timmer123
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 01:14:16 AM »

The problem is making black voters actually turn out, not how they vote once they do.

Yup.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 12:13:23 AM »

It isn't so much an issue of black voting, to me, as it is white voting.  Davis may be able to match Obama for black voting, but even a decreased white vote won't give him the election.  He needs to find a way to appeal to enough white voters to win, which I doubt he can do.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 10:55:49 PM »

LOL, maybe in France

Think before you talk. Do you have any idea of the history of labor relations in France?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies