Man granted clemency by Gov. Huckabee suspected of killing 4 cops in Washington
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 04:09:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Man granted clemency by Gov. Huckabee suspected of killing 4 cops in Washington
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Man granted clemency by Gov. Huckabee suspected of killing 4 cops in Washington  (Read 3787 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 05:14:02 PM »

Those four cops deserve far more sympathy than does Mike Huckabee.

It's almost impossible to predict what offender will offend again if released on parole or due to some executive clemency. The quadruple killing, so seemingly senseless, should demonstrate the obvious about jailbirds; many of them are consummate liars, people who can present themselves as more innocent than you or I.

I am reminded of a story involving Frederick the Great, King of Prussia. One day he went to visit one of the jails of his kingdom and asked inmates.  All but one claimed to be innocent -- to have been framed, to have been convicted on lies, or to have been victims of false identification. One confessed to his crimes and stated that he more than anyone else deserved to rot in prison and stated that he couldn't fully trust himself to avoid a reversion to crime -- and that if he were ever let loose the police would have to watch every move that he made.

Frederick the Great pardoned that convict -- the one with much doubt about his own character and no claim to innocence. So far as is known the one who admitted to his own violence and was pardoned disappeared into the mists of history.   
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 07:42:28 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/12/01/washington.police.huckabee/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 10:44:54 PM »

I don't like cops, but they certainly do deserve more sympathy than a guy who lets rapists and murderers run free.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 12:50:40 AM »

Pawlenty goes there:

link

Huck is peeved by all the criticism:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30041.html

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 01:05:00 AM »

I would just like to state, FWIW, that I feel Huck was completely in the right and also that this incident has not lessened my reasonably high opinion of him one bit.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 01:09:14 AM »

It's almost impossible to predict what offender will offend again if released on parole or due to some executive clemency. The quadruple killing, so seemingly senseless, should demonstrate the obvious about jailbirds; many of them are consummate liars, people who can present themselves as more innocent than you or I.

A reason not to grant clemency, in my opinion.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 01:15:54 AM »

I would just like to state, FWIW, that I feel Huck was completely in the right and also that this incident has not lessened my reasonably high opinion of him one bit.

I agree and I want more Democrats to speak out about this instead of squealing with joy at Huckabee's misfortune (ok, you can squeal a bit).   100 years is too much for crimes committed by a 16-17 year old that don't involve rape or murder.

Oh and Pawlenty sticking his knife in Huckabee's corpse?  Wow, Pawlenty has sure become quite the hilarious tool, hasn't he?  He's making Mitt Romney's shallowness look like the deep blue sea.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 03:39:32 AM »

Some joker named Joyce Raymer is making repeated posts in all caps on the Huckabee 2012 Facebook page about how Huckabee is soft on crime:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=2211531528
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 04:02:33 AM »

WHY DO SO MNAY MIDDLEAGED WOMEN HAVE SO MUCH DIFFICULTY USING SCOIAL NETWORKING WEBSITE
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 01:17:23 AM »

I don't like cops, but they certainly do deserve more sympathy than a guy who lets rapists and murderers run free.

Of course it is even worse than the Willie Horton scandal that sabotaged Mike Dukakis: Willie Horton was only "furloughed" -- not released completely from legal supervision. Willie Horton was supposed to go back to a Massachusetts prison; Maurice Clemmons was simply a gigantic mistake. Unless one has severe questions about the guilt of a person one does not free a convicted criminal.

I have mixed feelings about cops; the power that a cop wields attracts the worst sort of people to wield such power. I can't imagine a more satisfying career (short of gangster or a financial fraud) for a sociopath.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 04:02:10 PM »

Palin chimes in:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30344.html

She will always "error" on the side of punishing even stricter?  If it was someone else being quoted, I'd wonder if that was a typo.
Lee Atwater
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2009, 06:10:14 PM »

Republicans are going soft on crime and coddling minorities in a vain attempt to court the minority vote.

Want safe schools? Vote Democrat
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »

Republicans are going soft on crime and coddling minorities in a vain attempt to court the minority vote.

Um, no.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2009, 06:27:04 PM »

Because inner city schools are the best, right...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2009, 11:54:22 PM »

Not quite. They have been soft on corporate crime (including tax fraud) when Dubya was President. Since Obama became President, the Feds have gone after Bernie Madoff and the Mexican drug cartels... this seems to be a bad time in which to be a criminal.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies