Should the US sign the Ottawa Treaty (landmine ban)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:47:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the US sign the Ottawa Treaty (landmine ban)?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should the US sign the Ottawa Treaty (landmine ban)?
yes (Dem)

no (Dem)

yes (Pub)

no (Pub)

yes (other)

no (other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Should the US sign the Ottawa Treaty (landmine ban)?  (Read 10366 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »

Why do you think Finland, Egypt and Poland haven't signed on?

Finland have committed to ratification over the coming years. In the mean time, they're spending time and money on alternative defensive options.
Poland have signed, they just have't ratified yet.

Both have, as I understand it, nonetheless by and large complied with the terms of the treaty.

Egypt is pissed that they've been left with masses of landmines on their territory since WWII and that they bear the major burden of dealing with it. If those who laid the mines took responsibility for clearing them, Egypt could well change their tune.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 11:03:27 AM »

Dead0man, we don't use the mines banned in the treaty, but we need to avoid signing the treaty?
We still use them in Korea.  The Korean DMZ isn't a place civilians hang out.  Under the Ottawa Treaty we'd have to begin removing these and that's not going to happen until the state of war between North and South Korea is over.  Period.  And this nugget is what has kept Bill Clinton, Bush the Lesser and now Obama from signing.  It should be noted the US spends more on mine removal than anybody else.  And no jokers, we aren't just cleaning up our own messes.  Most of it is spent in Africa.  Any idea how much the EU has spent on mine removal outside of Europe?  
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ones we laying down now?  0%  The only landmines the US has used since 1991 have been claymores and those are almost exclusivly used in a "command detonation" mode.  Meaning a human watches the mine and blows it when he wants to.
Why do you think Finland, Egypt and Poland haven't signed on?

Finland have committed to ratification over the coming years. In the mean time, they're spending time and money on alternative defensive options.
Poland have signed, they just have't ratified yet.

Both have, as I understand it, nonetheless by and large complied with the terms of the treaty.
Just like the US (outside of Korea).

I agree with you.  I'd assume they are mostly English mines?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 11:22:49 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
I agree with you.  I'd assume they are mostly English mines?

Both British and German. No idea what the relative proportions are.

They laid quite a few themselves in and around the Sinai a few decades back fearing the Israelis. The WWII mines outnumber these by at around 3 or 4 to 1 though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 11:02:01 PM »

The only reason the US hasn't signed is Korea. It has even said it would sign if an exemption was made for the mines in the Korean DMZ. So this has nothing to do with Putin (dead0man has been playing too much Modern Warfare 2 obviously, please give me a scenario where the US would use landmines against Russia.)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 11:41:28 PM »

I've not once mentioned Russia as a reason the US doesn't sign.  I've never played MW2 either.  I've repeatedly mentioned Korea as the main reason, so we are in agreement.  Yet you're still a douche.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 12:13:22 AM »

I've not once mentioned Russia as a reason the US doesn't sign.  I've never played MW2 either.  I've repeatedly mentioned Korea as the main reason, so we are in agreement.  Yet you're still a douche.

The US still uses claymores..... a lot.  The Korean DMZ is full of regular mines.

As long as the PRC and Putin aren't signing.  As long as N.Korea is still run by a douche.  As long as the US needs to protect its assets against large numbers of low tech enemies we will need to use landmines.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 01:14:18 AM »

The US still uses claymores..... a lot.  The Korean DMZ is full of regular mines.

As long as the PRC and Putin aren't signing.  As long as N.Korea is still run by a douche.  As long as the US needs to protect its assets against large numbers of low tech enemies we will need to use landmines.

Beat me to it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 11:06:10 AM »

Ahhh geez.  Color me embarassed.  But come on....it was so important I mentioned it once...in a list.  How many times did I mention Korea?  Ahh, that's not important.  I mentioned Putin once so clearly the entire reason I'm against signing is Russia.  Excellent job as usual BRTD!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 05:30:58 PM »

But you are basically arguing even if there was a DMZ exemption the US should not sign (which it would in that instance.)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 07:09:15 AM »

Yeah, we probably would and I'd still be against it.  I wouldn't argue too hard against signing in such a scenario because I know that if the sh**t were to hit the fan that we'd make 'em again if we felt we really needed to (just like everybody else that has signed).
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 08:27:26 AM »

Yeah, we probably would and I'd still be against it.  I wouldn't argue too hard against signing in such a scenario because I know that if the sh**t were to hit the fan that we'd make 'em again if we felt we really needed to (just like everybody else that has signed).

Armaments subsidies: the only subsidies dead0man doesn't oppose.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 11:52:12 AM »

So you do believe there is a likely scenario where the US would use landmines against Russia. Which is insanely fucking stupid.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 09:33:40 PM »

I don't care about the treaty, but landmines should be banned regardless.

Better yet, fedgov should be banned from spending any money on any weapons.

Righteous!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2009, 11:59:15 PM »

So you do believe there is a likely scenario where the US would use landmines against Russia. Which is insanely fucking stupid.
Yes, "likely" is exactly what I said.  :giant rolleyes:
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies