High Authority for Ethics in Voting Bill [Debating] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:38:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  High Authority for Ethics in Voting Bill [Debating] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: High Authority for Ethics in Voting Bill [Debating]  (Read 20160 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: November 27, 2009, 04:13:49 AM »
« edited: December 05, 2009, 06:57:37 PM by Sen. Marokai Blue, PPT »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Who do you think? Hashemite
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 06:05:39 PM »

By the way I oppose this if it wasn't already clear. I don't think this bill is workable, first of all, and could have potentially incredibly disruptive and chaotic effects on Atlasia.

I sympathize with what Antonio and Hash are trying to accomplish, but.. come on.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:46:34 PM »

I'll let debate go on for a little while longer on this bill, and others, due to the recent technical issues plaguing the site.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 02:09:03 AM »

Apologies, I've been avoiding the debate on this bill and saw someone requested a vote Tongue

I hereby open up a vote on the following amendment, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Abstain

I'm not really drawn into this debate enough to know if these changes are for the better or not, in all honesty. I don't know if this bill is the right thing to do, and I'm generally skeptical of "zombie" reform and so on, even if I understand the motives behind them. I'll abstain on the amendment so as to not stand in the way of the process, but the prospects for my vote for final passage are, admittedly, slim.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 06:54:17 PM »

3 Ayes, 2 Nays, and 1 Abstaining. Could use some more participation.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »

5 Ayes, 2 Nays, 1 Abstaining. This bill has been amended.

Now, was there another amendment presented for a vote, or was it accepted as friendly?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 03:12:23 AM »

Amendment offered:

Section 3: Possibility of Appeal

Whereas:
-The notion of "inactive" specified in Article V, Section 2, Clause 3 of the Atlasian Constitution can be subject to different interpretations, and that the HAEV may potentially abuse this ambiguity by declaring as "inactive" an Atlasian citizen who should not be considered so.
- The Supreme Court's role is to interpret the Constitution in the case when its formulation is ambiguous.

1. An Atlasian Citizen who has been declared inactive by the HAEV shall have the right to appeal said declaration in the week following the HAEV's decision.
2. In the case previously specified, the Supreme Court shall have the power to annul the decision of the HAEV. The procedure used shall be the same as for any court case.

For what it's worth I consider this bill friendily amended with the above unless someone objects, considering it was offered by the sponsor himself.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »

I would like to say... I support this bill. I will likely not be able to vote on it, but I support it's passage.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 05:05:14 PM »

Shouldn't this have to be an amendment?

Nice try, I know you would love to get our hands on ratification to block it with your zombies, but I see no reason why this has to be an Amendment.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 05:10:29 PM »

Article 5, Section 2, Clause 3:
A voter registration shall only remain valid if the voter remains an active member of the Forum at large. The Senate shall have power to define these activity requirements by appropriate legislation.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 05:18:06 PM »

Article 5, Section 2, Clause 3:
A voter registration shall only remain valid if the voter remains an active member of the Forum at large. The Senate shall have power to define these activity requirements by appropriate legislation.

This doesn't define any activity requirements (at least in the bill text in the OP). All it does is create a body to purge political opponents.

Roll Eyes

You really need to learn how to read. This bill creates an organization which shall be made up of three individuals (as last I read) which shall look over the activity of each individual brought forward, and remove them from the voter rolls if there is unanimous agreement.

In other words, defining activity requirements, totally in the Senate's authority.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »

You can believe whatever you like, but I happen to side with the law. I know you're not actually responding because you care, you seldom post more than a sentence or two, but the Senate here is creating a body which shall evaluate and define activity requirements and enforce them. Anyone with half a brain realizes that's perfectly in line with Article 5, Section 3, Clause 3.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 05:24:19 PM »

You can believe whatever you like, but I happen to side with the law. I know you're not actually responding because you care, you seldom post more than a sentence or two, but the Senate here is creating a body which shall evaluate and define activity requirements and enforce them. Anyone with half a brain realizes that's perfectly in line with Article 5, Section 3, Clause 3.

There is no outline of what this body can do. There is no definition. This body could purge you if it wanted.

"Purging" as you call it requires unanimous agreement, and I'm free to appeal if I want to, which is the safety valve to this organization. It's perfectly fine.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 05:26:16 PM »

There is no outline of what this body can do. There is no definition. This body could purge you if it wanted.

"Purging" as you call it requires unanimous agreement, and I'm free to appeal if I want to, which is the safety valve to this organization. It's perfectly fine.

Yeah, opebo and Marokai sound like perfectly objective checks on this organization.

I can promise you it won't be personal at all. If someone is active at the forum at large, then I would see no reason to be against their appeal.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 05:29:59 PM »

Yeah, opebo and Marokai sound like perfectly objective checks on this organization.

I can promise you it won't be personal at all. If someone is active at the forum at large, then I would see no reason to be against their appeal.

Active? Why should people be forced to post? A lot of people like to just read. The JCP has plenty of voters like that. I never posted on this site until I was told to and now I post too much. As I told Yankee, I never had anything to say when I first signed up so of course I didn't post.

I'll let this post speak for itself. I don't think I have to argue against someone who is actively defending people who don't post at all.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 05:49:01 PM »

This legislation has nothing to do with post counts. Reading the legislation more carefully would reveal that important aspect of this bill.

They're not interested in the truth.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 05:55:07 PM »

This legislation has nothing to do with post counts. Reading the legislation more carefully would reveal that important aspect of this bill.
Hmm, true, its actually almost completely subject to the arbitrary whims of some dictatorial "High Authority."

Rules and individuals which must be confirmed by the Senate, issuing decisions that must be agreed upon unanimously, followed up the appeal to the Supreme Court to overturn their decisions.

It's abundantly clear you don't have a clue what you're talking about here, and are simply flocking to Hamilton (you must enjoy his.. company.. if you catch my drift) just to cause a ruckus and hope that a bunch of ignorant trolling, scaremongering, and debunked procedural worries derail the process.

This is the Senate. A deliberative body. If you have something intelligent to contribute, then please, feel free. Otherwise, I kindly has you to take you uneducated opinions on this bill elsewhere.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 04:26:33 PM »

Well done, Senators.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States