Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:43:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Do you satisfy the Republican purity test?  (Read 16253 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 01:30:12 AM »

Yes, although I disagree with 8.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 01:32:02 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Um... cap and trade is a market-based solution, idiots.

Its a government imposed tax, you idiot!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 01:33:02 AM »

LOL that's exactly what I was thinking.

Sorry, but you have not show any evidence of thought!
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 01:36:08 AM »

And you have never demonstrated any independence of thought.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 01:36:59 AM »

So which party do I belong in folks?  Tell me. Thanks in advance. Smiley

D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA
D-CA

Is Lunar not the only one who marks JC down as his personal hero, ass-hole? Tongue

How did I get dragged into this?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 01:46:38 AM »

You are a complete nut case!
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 01:50:17 AM »

You are a complete nut case!

Better to be insane and novel than sane and tedious.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 01:51:32 AM »

(1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill;

Since when does the Republican Party care about smaller debt, smaller government and lower deficits? What a joke

(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care;

Of course not. I like the Republican plan of not having a plan though. I guess when you're the party of intellectual lightweights it's easier to simply be obstructionists.

(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation;

As pointed out, this is market reform. So, uh.....

(4) We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check;

Don't really care about unions but I don't "support" the Republican agenda here so no.

(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants;

No, I'm realistic

(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges;

No. Republicans may love wasting money and resources on stupid wars but I don't

(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat;

No.

(8 ) We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act;

No. I'm not a retarded bigot

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and

Abortion will never be illegal. Get over it and stop wasting our time with this stupid wedge issue

(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership.

There isn't going to be any restrictions on guns but at the same time there is no need to expand your "rights" to allow guns on campus, trains, national parks, strip clubs etc. The status quo is not perfect but I'm more or less fine with it. So No to this agenda

So pretty much 0ish out of 10. That's certainly a relief.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 01:55:35 AM »

The Republican party is a narrow tent of ideologues. I bet a lot of Blue Dogs have a 7 or so on this test.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 01:56:13 AM »

1-No, and Republicans talking about small government now is downright hilarious.
2-No.
3-No, as stated before this is a market-based system you morons.
4-No, though it's a fairly minor issue and nothing but a scare campaign to blue-collar UNIONS=COMMUNIST!!!!111!!! teabagger types.
5-No.
6-No.
7-This is somewhat vague, but I'll say no since it seems to include military action.
8-No.
9-No, stupid loaded question.
10-Not opposed, but this is now a non-issue and nothing more than more scare tactics.

So around 0.5/10 it seems.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 02:09:49 AM »

Is Lunar not the only one who marks JC down as his personal hero, ass-hole? Tongue

I actually agree with your approach on all of your responses, with a few minor quibbles (being open to health care models based on other countries' experiences in principle, even if admitting it's not a feasible solution in the American political context, being more pro-gun for pragmatic reasons).

I think all of us are guilty of, what was that term I just used in another thread?, ideologically pre-scripted policies, that's right, and then realizing that the issues are more complex than we like to simplify them down to....some of which boil down to conflicting persuasive moral principles (abortion), and others which get boiled down to rhetorically charged words ("government takeover"  "single-payer") with little interest in how the actual policy turns out....which results in a "compromise" which is barely tolerable to a majority of legislators assortments of special interests which care about different things.   I mean, with all the talk of the evil health insurance industry opposing health care reform, it's mostly lost that the prescription drug industry is spending $150m in support of it in exchange for some looser regulations on new technology patents to prevent them from becoming generics (and more people having access helps them too).... anyway...I'm not sure what I was trying to say.  I doubt I agree with any hilarious set of guiding partisan principles and it'd be offensive if anyone tried to impose that on my party.  Those principles don't stem from any meta theory of governance, as you said, they are just the aggregate product of the moment from the coalition that makes up Republican-inclined voters.  
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 02:10:59 AM »

The Republican party is a narrow tent of ideologues. I bet a lot of Blue Dogs have a 7 or so on this test.

Let's look at Minnesota's Collin Peterson:

(1) Yes, he did vote against the Stimulus.
(2) Yes, voted against the health care bill
(3) He initially did speak against cap and trade and said he would oppose any such bill though he did work out a compromise with Waxman and has agreed to support the current plan though. Which makes it a No by Republican standards.
(4) Looks like he made some procedural vote against a predecessor to EFCA in the past. So Yes.
(5) Yes.
(6) No.
(7) Once again depends on definition. But he has said he would oppose any war with Iran, so let's say no.
(Cool Yes.
(9) Yes.
(10) Yes.

So yeah, he has a 7 and is a committee chairman that no one is complaining about. This says a lot.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 02:15:45 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2009, 02:18:47 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Let's look at Minnesota's Collin Peterson:

(1) Yes, he did vote against the Stimulus.
(2) Yes, voted against the health care bill
(3) He initially did speak against cap and trade and said he would oppose any such bill though he did work out a compromise with Waxman and has agreed to support the current plan though. Which makes it a No by Republican standards.
(4) Looks like he made some procedural vote against a predecessor to EFCA in the past. So Yes.
(5) Yes.
(6) No.
(7) Once again depends on definition. But he has said he would oppose any war with Iran, so let's say no.
(Cool Yes.
(9) Yes.
(10) Yes.

So yeah, he has a 7 and is a committee chairman that no one is complaining about. This says a lot.

The sad thing is that if he's got a committee chairmanship with a 7, there are definitely some at least rank and file Congressmen with an 8 or more. I'm sure that Dan Boren qualifies for the narrow tent of ideological extremists. The political spectrum among major Oklahoma politicians might be something like this
10: Republican
9: Independent or Democrat
8: Democrat
7: Radical communist
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 03:47:30 AM »

Carbon is being treated as just any other finite resource and being traded in the marketplace. This is what would be "market based energy reforms". I don't see a more market based reform to curb carbon emissions. FTR I oppose cap and trade but I was just pointing out the inanity of that statement.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 06:12:51 AM »

(1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s “stimulus” bill;

No.

(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care;

LOL

(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation;

No.

Just no.

(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants;

Oh definitely not.

(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges;

No.

(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat;

No.

LOL

(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion; and

No.

(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership.

Not at all.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 09:20:54 AM »

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »

I would pass with 8 out of 10
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 09:39:16 AM »

No. Also, drop the 'small government' act now, plz.

No. I don't support fake 'reform'

Absolutely not. I don't support fake 'reform'.

Lean yes, because I pretty much loathe unions but not in the GOP's OMG COMMIES way.

No.

No. We won't win, so drop the act.

Vague, but no.

No. I'm not a bigot.

not this sh**t again. No.

Absolutely not.

1/10.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 09:43:01 AM »

In theory, I suppose, but not the way they mean it. No.

No.

No.

Yes.

No. Very hateful rhetoric there.

I wouldn't use those words. "Victory" and "Winning" are stupid, but I do support stability in the region. As far as Afghanistan is concerned, yes, I would support an increase in the number of troops there, therefore: Yes.

Depends what you mean by "effective action". I think it's important to keep nuclear weapons out of their hands, but I don't support intervening militarily at this time. So I guess I'd have to say: Yes, somewhat.

Never. No.

No.

No.

2.5 / 10
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 10:08:39 AM »

...yes and no...so I answer No

yes

yes

yes

yes

no...should play hit and run instead

yes

yes

yes

yes

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2009, 10:20:08 AM »

CARL, please stop the ad hominem attacks if you are able to do so and offer rational arguments.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2009, 10:30:18 AM »

Not looking good:

(8) We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act;

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 10:31:49 AM »

CARL, please stop the ad hominem attacks if you are able to do so and offer rational arguments.

CARL wont be happy unless everyone passes the purity test with no questions asked.  Roll Eyes
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 10:41:08 AM »

Not looking good:

(Cool We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act;

Looks like the GOP has left you.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 10:46:05 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2009, 10:53:45 AM by jmfcst »

yes

actually, not so sure the GOP would like my energy solutions:
1) raise mileage standards to 40MPG by 2017
2) Build 50 new nuclear power plants by 2020
3) 80% of new cars to run on nat gas and/or electricity by 2020, 100% by 2030...50% of new 18 wheelers to run on nat gas by 2017, all new 18 wheelers to run on nat gas by 2020
4) build nat gas fueling infrastructure
5) drill like crazy

that is NOT cap and trade, but it ain't exactly market based either...but it would drastically cut foreign oil imports
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies