Should this murderer get the death penalty?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:48:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should this murderer get the death penalty?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Should this murderer get the death penalty?  (Read 7685 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2009, 03:04:43 PM »

NC searchers find body of missing 5-year-old girl

By ALYSIA PATTERSON, Associated Press Writer
23 mins ago

SANFORD, N.C. – A missing 5-year-old whose mother was accused of offering her for sex was found dead off a heavily wooded road in a rural area Monday, ending a weeklong search, police said.

Searchers found Shaniya Davis' body early Monday afternoon about 100 feet off a wooded road southeast of Sanford, in central North Carolina, Fayetteville Police spokeswoman Theresa Chance said. She declined to comment on a cause of death or the condition of Shaniya's body.

"We've got a lot of people out at the scene right now that are torn up," Chance said. "Detectives have been running off adrenaline to find this little girl and to bring her home alive. You have a lot of people in shock right now."

Two people have been charged in her disappearance, one of them her mother, Antoinette Davis, 25. Police charged Davis with human trafficking and felony child abuse, saying Shaniya was offered for prostitution. A first court appearance for Davis was scheduled Monday afternoon, and police said she did not yet have an attorney.

Authorities also charged Mario Andrette McNeill, 29, with kidnapping after they said surveillance footage from a Sanford hotel showed him carrying Shaniya there. Authorities said McNeill admitted taking the girl, though his attorney said he will plead not guilty.

Davis reported Shaniya missing Tuesday. Authorities first arrested a man named Clarence Coe, but charges against him were dropped a day later when investigators tracked down McNeill after receiving a tip from a hotel employee.

Additional information led investigators to a search site near Sanford on Sunday. They continued searching Monday, scouring miles of landscape, roads, ravines and fields on four-wheelers and with helicopters.

After Shaniya's body was found, a solemn group of searchers met quietly at a nearby fire station to ensure that all volunteers were accounted for.

"We were hoping that someone could carry her home," said Syd Severe, 42, who came from Raleigh to help with the search. "It's just sick."

A cluster of emergency vehicles and law enforcement personnel gathered where Shaniya's body was found, about a quarter mile from N.C. Highway 87. Authorities blocked access to the road, a rural area popular with hunters that is less than a mile from a large lakeside community.

Shaniya's father, Bradley Lockhart, said he raised his daughter for several years but last month decided to let her stay with her mother. He had pleaded for her safe return.

"I should've never let her go over there," he told The Associated Press on Saturday.

Before Shaniya's body was found, he said on CBS's "The Early Show" Monday that he remained hopeful someone would bring his daughter somewhere safe, such as a police station or hospital.

"They can drop her off at Walmart, I don't care," he said.

A man who answered the phone at the Lockhart home Monday afternoon declined to comment.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:05:41 PM »

No, of course not.

As explained in the other thread, nobody should ever be put to death, regardless of their crime.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:05:59 PM »

As to the question asked:

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 03:07:21 PM »

No, of course not.

As explained in the other thread, nobody should ever be put to death, regardless of their crime.

Peddling a 5 year old off for sex and then murdering her doesn't even get you closer to thinking yes?  Hmmmmm.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 03:08:31 PM »

I don't know anymore. I'm pretty much neutral on the death penalty now.
Stampever
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 03:09:40 PM »

The guy should get the chair, or at a minimum life in prison (with a cop informing some of the inmates that the guy killed a little girl after buying her for sex).

The mother should have her tubes tied so she could never have children ever again.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 03:10:01 PM »

No, of course not.

Peddling a 5 year old off for sex and then murdering her doesn't even get you closer to thinking yes?  Hmmmmm.

No really, I'm being perfectly serious.

Allowing the weight of the crime to influence my principle opposition to the death penalty would make a mockery out of the principle.

I oppose capital punishment, and I'd be quite a big hypocrite if I allowed exceptions for things like this.
Stampever
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 03:11:30 PM »

No, of course not.

Allowing the weight of the crime to influence my principle opposition to the death penalty would make a mockery out of the principle.

I oppose capital punishment, and I'd be quite a big hypocrite if I allowed exceptions for things like this.

And there is nothing wrong with you sticking to your beliefs.  However, it will also keep you from sitting on many juries too (just thought I'd throw that in there).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 03:11:42 PM »

No, of course not.

No,  you'd be just a normal human being........but NP, I'm not fighting with ya....just curious.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 03:13:18 PM »

My purpose is to see if severity matters.....please just be honest like Franzl has been.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 03:16:59 PM »

My purpose is to see if severity matters.....please just be honest like Franzl has been.

Personally, I'd want him shot.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 03:19:40 PM »

No, of course not.

No,  you'd be just a normal human being........but NP, I'm not fighting with ya....just curious.

That's fine, if you support capital punishment Wink And since you do, supporting it in this case would clearly not be hypocritical.

I would have much less respect for so-called opponents if they allowed for "exceptions"

Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 03:23:30 PM »

No, of course not.

Peddling a 5 year old off for sex and then murdering her doesn't even get you closer to thinking yes?  Hmmmmm.

And there is nothing wrong with you sticking to your beliefs.  However, it will also keep you from sitting on many juries too (just thought I'd throw that in there).

Well if I wanted to serve on the jury, I'd lie about my capital punishment views. Wink

Otherwise, assuming I didn't want jury duty, I'd have an easy way out!
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 03:46:37 PM »

All Murderers should be put on Death row.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 03:48:56 PM »

By that logic, you should be put on death row since you cannot guarantee that all murderers are guilty, and therefore, are taking part in the death of the innocent.  Do you think it's okay to kill innocent people in order to bring justice to the guilty.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/07/090907fa_fact_grann
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »

By that logic, you should be put on death row since you cannot guarantee that all murderers are guilty, and therefore, are taking part in the death of the innocent.  Do you think it's okay to kill innocent people in order to bring justice to the guilty.

okay that was a bit intellectually lazy of me.  I'll stand by my image on the first page, the link associated with it, and that New Yorker article though.  The man was innocent but convicted of killing his children.  Texas justice ensued.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 04:06:57 PM »

Absolutely.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »

okay that was a bit intellectually lazy of me.  I'll stand by my image on the first page, the link associated with it, and that New Yorker article though.  The man was innocent but convicted of killing his children.  Texas justice ensued.

I support innocense projects and DNA testing when applicable for those who couldnt get such testing teh first time around.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 04:18:42 PM »

That wasn't DNA related.  They just plum killed the wrong guy.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 04:21:32 PM »

That wasn't DNA related.  They just plum killed the wrong guy.

More specifically:  What if a new technology comes along that proves the innocence of people on death row, much like DNA has done?  In this case, it was simply better arson investigation procedures that likely proved the man's innocence in what was a violent death of his children (a vaguely similar case).

How many guilty people will you need to have killed to justify killing the innocent?  100:1?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »

No, no one should get the death penalty.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 04:41:12 PM »

I'm neutral on whether we should have a death penalty or not. Life with hard labor is fine with me as an alternative.

However, if we are to have a death penalty the crime itself certainly is the type that might warrant it. As to whether this specific murderer should receive it, I would say that has to depend on the evidence. I think that the use of the death penalty has two qualifiers - the crime in question has to be particularly heinous, and the proof of guilt has to be beyond any doubt. For the second, things like DNA and video evidence or multiple witnesses who have no issues with credibility would meet that standard. That should prevent the execution of innocents.

Still, this guy is most likely going to have a life of living hell anyways - child rapists and murderers are considered to be the lowest of the low even by the prison population, and are subject to murder attempts, beatings, and whatnot.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 04:45:44 PM »

^ Actually, witnesses are among the worst and least reliable pieces of evidence there is...which is tragic because juries consider them THE most reliable.  A lot of the cases where people were incorrectly put on death row were based on witness testimony, even where the woman picks the wrong rapist out of the line-up...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »

No, no one should get the death penalty.

No, of course not.

And there is nothing wrong with you sticking to your beliefs.  However, it will also keep you from sitting on many juries too (just thought I'd throw that in there).

Uh, so what? And actually in Minnesota that would not keep you off any jury.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies