Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:38:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads)  (Read 70058 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: November 08, 2009, 08:24:23 PM »
« edited: June 25, 2012, 06:17:19 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Back when my family was wealthy enough to still have Satelitte TV and I used to watch C-span. At the beginning and end of each session of the Court they would gather a group of Lawyers and historians to discuss the up comming, or the previous session and its impacts. Since talking in the court rooms is not allowed. This could be a good place to discuss the cases. Especially since there are so many cased on the docket right now.

Please try to keep this civil.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:59:42 PM »

I prefer to just interject in the courtroom. Wink

As long as you keep it short and civil, it doesn't seem to bother the justices all too much.

When has it ever been short and civil? Wink Besides they used to make these threads in the past for each court case. I remember there was one for the Xahar case, I think back in January.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 07:51:59 PM »

The prosecution was unable to provide an adequate refutation of the defense's legitimate claims. Not only was it a joke, but it was not a performance of the SoFA's duties. Therefore, legally, we cannot prosecute East Coast Republican. The SoFA is required to open voting booths that contain the official rules and the official ballot. Without the presence of this, the actions at hand can not be considered a performance of said duties. East Coast Republican did not commit a crime and should not be sentenced.

The arguements by the defense counsel here leave me scratching my head. Does he honestly think he is doing anything other then driving the nail in his client's coffin. Especially after he requested more time and then did nothing with it. Finally this statement is completely out of order.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 03:23:36 PM »

For the record, I believe people are beginning to read the Privacy Protection Act far more broadly than it was meant. It was specifically proposed to address the posting of actual correspondences, such as quoting PMs into a post or copy/pasting IMs into posts. The discussion of the content of said correspondences, without the posting of the actual content, should not be considered illegal, otherwise I could sue a few people right now.

You can only sue as Atlasia if you are the AG, I believe. Individuals don't have the right to sue through the Privacy Protection Act.

It is still upsetting to see people throwing around threats of suits for something that wassn't (as far as I was concerned when sponsoring the bill) the intention or, as far as I see, isn't the proper reading of the law.

Why don't you write up an Amicus Brief when the trial gets under way?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 03:45:10 PM »

bgwah just can't get no respect. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 04:47:51 PM »

I'm honestly very puzzled by all this. Everyone complains when people don't do anything - particularly do-nothing cabinet members - and yet when someone does actually start doing stuff people complain.

Because people just want to complain, period.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 04:54:12 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2009, 04:56:05 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Just as a random comment, I do agree with Antonio about the worrying precedent that would be set by letting Xahar off, as much as I wish he would be able to serve. I just hope the court has this very very very serious precedent in mind.

I agree. We must consider that the only enforcement method is to deprive people of the right to vote and the right to serve. If a Governor posts PM's or a message log or worse hacks an account or creates a fake account to vote with, how do you punish them unless the punishments laid out in the Consolidated Justice Act apply to both Federal and Regional elections.

If Xahar is let of then there will be about 15 to 20 people in Regional Gov't that are essentially above the law.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »

Note to the AG : Shouldn't Hamilton/Swing Voter be prosecuted for voter fraud ?

Swing Voter never registered.

Sh**t... I wish he did just before Nik posted the PMs.

Yes and come to think of it, he can't register for several months till Hamilton falls off the Voter Roll. Thats what got Josh/Devilman. He didn't wait long enough.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 06:56:02 PM »

Yes and come to think of it, he can't register for several months till Hamilton falls off the Voter Roll. Thats what got Josh/Devilman. He didn't wait long enough.

Well, it's still enough time to expell him from NE Assembly. Tongue

Thank god for that,  I was just about to enquire about that.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 10:42:06 PM »

I think the PMs made it clear I would never register two accounts at once. You guys are talking like I made this account to cheat the game, and I didn't. I made this account to get away from the game.

THEN GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 05:08:56 PM »

As my client has stated, I am serving as defense counsel in this case.

I require a short while to review this case before we make decisions about what to plea and, should it be necessary, what type of trial to request.

Wow,  I guessed right.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 10:38:27 PM »

As my client has stated, I am serving as defense counsel in this case.

I require a short while to review this case before we make decisions about what to plea and, should it be necessary, what type of trial to request.

Wow,  I guessed right.

How did you guess? Wink

An inconvenient hunch. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »

Ha, your federal courts have no jurisdiction here. The offices which I hold are defined strictly by the Constitution of the Northeast.

Maybe so, but the federal consitution surely trumps the regional constitutions on enumerated powers. It will be interesting what the Justices say. But I wouldn't dismiss this so easily, Libertas.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 09:09:40 PM »

Ha, your federal courts have no jurisdiction here. The offices which I hold are defined strictly by the Constitution of the Northeast.

Maybe so, but the federal consitution surely trumps the regional constitutions on enumerated powers. It will be interesting what the Justices say. But I wouldn't dismiss this so easily, Libertas.

Some regional rights advocate you are. I guess this is why the Regional Protection Party changed its name? Tongue

Did I advocate anything here? No. I stated how things presently are. Its called analysis?

Why don't you ask your former boss about the name change. I would call it sabotage so he could create a Libertarian party. But thats just me.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 09:49:46 PM »

Some regional rights advocate you are. I guess this is why the Regional Protection Party changed its name? Tongue

Did I advocate anything here? No. I stated how things presently are. Its called analysis?

Why don't you ask your former boss about the name change. I would call it sabotage so he could create a Libertarian party. But thats just me.

My former boss? Create a Libertarian party? Huh? Huh

Connect the dots.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »

Re: Standing Requirement

A question has been raised regarding Bgwah's standing to sue in this matter. Let it be known that we have voted to overrule the standing requirement set in Purple State v. Lief.

We feel the standing requirement to sue is an unnecessary waste of time, and only creates needless obstacles to doing justice. It is an incredibly time consuming procedural hoop that doesn't really make much sense inside Atlasia when consideration is given to the fact that Atlasia is what it is.

But most of all, the standing requirement is entirely without precedent until very very recently, whether that precedent be in many past decisions of the Court or the Constitution. Not only does the majority of the Court believe that the standing requirement is a practical mistake, but it is a legal one.

Justice Marokai Blue

Joined in this short opinion by Justice Opebo.

Remind what midnight session you managed to slip through on a voice vote unbeknownst to most of the body? Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 09:28:10 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2010, 09:29:42 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee, PPT »

A very sensible ruling by the court.  It is the AG's job to prosecute violations of the law.  To say that he must be directly affected by the violation- i.e. "have standing"- prevents him from doing his job.

In this situation he is affected because the federal consitution was in question. If still not so then, in that case, at most the precendent should have been modified, not thrown out. This opens the door to some pretty nasty and unforseen, unintended consequences.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 01:49:04 AM »

Bump.

Why is it, that the populares have such a penchant for stumbling into the most head shakingly, dumb mistakes that often involve the person getting prosecuted? Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 02:25:42 AM »

They need a good legal time on call 24/7 to avoid making such mistakes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 06:57:42 PM »

Is there irony in the fact that the one who wanted no trial and preferred to skip to the hanging is going to get one anyway, while the one that probably most wanted a trial for sake of resolving the controversy, isn't going to get one?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 05:46:32 PM »

There has been a lot of public commenting in the case threads and that has been historically frowned upon by the justices in the past. Therefore I am bumping this thread in light of the fact that their are two active cases currently.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »

PURPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 11:33:41 PM »

Uh oh, I just got Yanks hopes up. The inevitable crash will be fierce and unrelenting.

You should know me better then that. Tongue I have you surrounded by armed guards, there is no escape from here. Evil
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 11:45:20 PM »

I slipped in an earmark you might say that gives them the task of "re-acquiring" certain lost legends. Tongue They are your shield and your detainer. Evil
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 08:20:31 AM »

The lack of written opinions by all Justices, not having recused themselves, is something I find to be disturbing.

Something I plan to keep in mind during future confirmation hearings for Justices.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies