Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:36:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22
Author Topic: Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads)  (Read 69351 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: February 17, 2021, 06:34:57 PM »

You can't have a constitution saying one thing and a bill that says another. The bill should have been an amendment to the Lincoln constitution if it wants any sort of merit.

Tbf, it's clear why the legislation wasn't passed that way - Amendments require a larger majority, which was not achievable with both me and IBNU opposed (I would have voted No if my vote was decisive).
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #376 on: February 18, 2021, 12:53:50 AM »

Can someone gimmie a CliffNotes of the debate in Nunja0428 vs. Lincoln? Getting borderline unreadable lmao
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #377 on: February 18, 2021, 02:21:13 AM »

I kindly ask the justices to immediately intervene, right now, with the decision regarding the injunction and the certiorari request with respect to Ninja0428 vs Region of Lincoln. Both sides have had adequate ability to make their points on this narrow portion of the case. Further argument can be made in formal briefs once, as I hope, certiorari has been granted.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #378 on: February 18, 2021, 03:54:38 AM »

Can someone gimmie a CliffNotes of the debate in Nunja0428 vs. Lincoln? Getting borderline unreadable lmao
Honestly I have no idea what the argument even is at this point. Truman shoulda stuck to what he said in the Wulfric v Lincoln case and not made it into a big back and forth like in the legislature
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #379 on: February 18, 2021, 07:14:44 PM »

Been a good while since we had a case this contentious.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #380 on: February 18, 2021, 08:48:45 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2021, 09:03:51 PM by Democracy Now, Democracy Tomorrow, Democracy Forever! »

The election starts in 3 hours. It'd be pretty damn important for the court to make their decision  on the injunction before then.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #381 on: February 18, 2021, 10:12:27 PM »

I really don't see how Bacon King's ruling had any more substance than a hackish personal opinion to benefit his party. #IllegitimateJudge #ImpeachBKNow!

It seems Bacon King is here to prove he was never fit to serve on the court.

This is what happens when one side forces people to come back to Atlasia by promising them a seat.

I would ask you to not question Bacon King's impartiality. If Atlasia's supreme court has been characterized by anything it is by being 100% impartial with the judges judging based purely on the merits of the law.

You can disagree with the ruling of course; but I would 100% refrain from questioning BK's impartiality.

Bacon King brought the questioning upon himself.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #382 on: February 19, 2021, 08:09:30 PM »

Surprised to see an injunction granted for the Ninja case but not the Wulfric one (which I personally found more reasonable).

Anyways I guess this means that (big surprise!!!) the Supreme Court is an actually impartial tribunal like it has been for almost 18 years.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #383 on: February 19, 2021, 09:19:19 PM »

Bacon King brought the questioning upon himself.

Your dedication to the integrity of our judiciary is sincerely appreciated Smiley

Stay vigilant!
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #384 on: February 19, 2021, 09:37:49 PM »

My apologies for the excessive hyperbole. Now the court is based.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #385 on: March 13, 2021, 05:38:53 PM »

I was getting worried we were going to have a redux of the April-May 2013 situation with the Court. Tongue
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #386 on: March 26, 2021, 07:56:38 AM »

Wulfric managing to  up a vote of no confidence so badly it might render it null and void is thoroughly unsurprising from such a beacon of hopeless incompetence. Genuinely impressive that he might have managed to do this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #387 on: March 30, 2021, 02:53:44 PM »

One must always balance the need for efficiency and speed with also ensuring that certain things are done in the proper way both in terms of procedure and in terms of constitutionality as such.

There are a lot of times where implied consent/second is taken for granted and it was only a matter of time before it caught up to someone.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #388 on: April 07, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »

ayy lmao

I have never passed the 22,000 character limit per post before and I definitely never expected to do so for an Atlasian court judgement about parliamentary procedure lmao

i guess it makes sense though, it's always been something of an interest of mine. Yankee can definitely vouch for my OSPR obsession back in my good old days in the Senate
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #389 on: April 07, 2021, 06:27:06 PM »

Parts of the decision made are absolutely ridiculous and the case honestly should not have been taken. The court, here, has made the mockery of the legislature's rulemaking power and taken the first step to absolute control over the legislature by the judiciary.

Part VI of the decision blatantly attempts to take away the legislature's ability to alter, amend, or nullify their own rules by simple majority vote, a blatant overreach which essentially strips the legislature of any power or meaning; the region might as well be a judicial dictatorship after that point.

I urge the Council to repeal Section 7.C of its rules immediately. Not doing so would be an admission that there is no longer even a facsimile of democracy in the region and would invite a constitutional crisis of the highest order.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #390 on: April 07, 2021, 06:48:21 PM »

Parts of the decision made are absolutely ridiculous and the case honestly should not have been taken. The court, here, has made the mockery of the legislature's rulemaking power and taken the first step to absolute control over the legislature by the judiciary.

Part VI of the decision blatantly attempts to take away the legislature's ability to alter, amend, or nullify their own rules by simple majority vote, a blatant overreach which essentially strips the legislature of any power or meaning; the region might as well be a judicial dictatorship after that point.

I urge the Council to repeal Section 7.C of its rules immediately. Not doing so would be an admission that there is no longer even a facsimile of democracy in the region and would invite a constitutional crisis of the highest order.

The trouble with repealing Section 7.C is it would leave no recourse for any challenge to the rules and provide no means of enforcing the rules if the Speaker does not follow the rules themselves. Even if a point of order were to be raised, the rules make no reference to points of order so the Speaker could not really be compelled to recognize such points of order. If the rules are just unenforceable suggestions or best practices, there's really no point to them in the first place.

I'm also hesitant given similar procedures are in the Southern Rules, The Fremont Rules, and at least the Federal House Rules if not the Federal Senate Rules as well.

However, the Rules do sort of need an overhaul anyways, and I'm open to some sort of replacement for Section 7.C that doesn't make the Speaker some dictator with unlimited power, which has never been the Atlas intention for that role.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #391 on: April 07, 2021, 08:25:59 PM »

Usually when I write an opinion I try to avoid any public discussion of it because ideally my judgement should stand for itself. In this instance, however, I feel it necessary to make an exception because I'm genuinely confused and saddened by your reaction. I worked very hard on my judgement specifically to avoid the appearances of any sort of power grab. My only desire was to provide some helpful clarifications for the council with their procedural rules where it seemed to be genuinely necessary.

I'm not sure what you mean by Section VI of the ruling so I assume you're talking about VII. I believe you are mistaken because I did everything within my power to keep my judgement narrowly tailored to only cover the facts at hand. You might have an issue with the Errata concept itself, but I found that the most effective method to do that which I had been charged to do -- specifically, "issue a binding decision dictating the proper interpretation" of the rules under dispute. I opted against leaving it as a longwinded court opinion only because I thought an actual list would be more helpful to the members of the Council.

I assume one of your biggest concerns is that Section I cannot be amended by the Council? That is only the case to ensure the decision is binding, as mandated by 7.C. Section I on its own doesn't even do anything! It just establishes the mechanism to enact/enforce the subsequent section(s), which will be the actual judgements of specific rulings - one section per judgement. Please note that, if it so desires, the council can literally right now vote to abolish the entirety of Section II. The same will be true of any possible future rulings. Nothing that affects them can remain in place if it is not the desire of the council that it be so.

I honestly don't understand your opposition here. Did I not explain myself clearly in my judgement maybe? I admit that I was somewhat rushed towards the end because I didn't want to put off submitting the verdict for another two days but I thought I was still able to sufficiently explain the checks put in place to ensure I could never override the will of the legislature, nor could any future Justice in my position.

Section I is literally just a section that explains how stuff included the later sections will apply to the legislature, which the legislature can't touch if 7.C is in place because literally it's literally just the mechanism to apply 7.C judgements, plus a few basic procedural clauses. Section II is all the actual things restricting the council, and they are absolutely free to trash any or all of them whenever they want. And new additions to the Errata can only be made in the subsequent sections dedicated to the subsequent trials that might occur -- which the Council also retains the right to repeal at will, which is not something I can take away from them.

I genuinely don't understand your argument and I want to because I greatly value your judgement and wish to understand where you are coming from
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #392 on: June 30, 2021, 11:17:37 PM »

While I don't expect for the case to go in my favor, I want to have a case.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #393 on: July 01, 2021, 11:41:39 AM »

In terms of reading the tea leaves, one must consider the possibility the case is taken to satiate the appetites for a case to occur, as demonstrated last week on the part of the Chief Justice.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #394 on: July 13, 2021, 07:02:48 AM »

Bumping this in case it is needed
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #395 on: July 13, 2021, 10:50:42 AM »

All I'm gonna say is:

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #396 on: July 18, 2021, 03:39:58 PM »

So it begins.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #397 on: July 21, 2021, 11:29:06 AM »

I get the feeling LT is just going to ignore this
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #398 on: July 22, 2021, 02:26:48 AM »

I get the feeling LT is just going to ignore this
It's a bold strategy.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #399 on: July 22, 2021, 10:36:13 AM »

Is there any evidence that the information was posted against the person's will, as the law says?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies