Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:33:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22
Author Topic: Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads)  (Read 70372 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 09, 2017, 08:56:19 PM »

In the Poirot vs SoFE Peebs case, the defense stated

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm trying to find what law required the SoFE to open the booth August 4.

The reason for the 72 hours public notice is for a minimum time for the public to be aware an election is coming, for people to make decision to run and officially declare because declaration must happen at least 24 hours before the start of the election and not sure if it's required by law anymore but ideally post a sample ballot so there is time to correct if there are mistakes.

Announcing an election about 8 hours before it starts is candidate suppression since it's too late to be on the ballot at the time the public is informed.

When the proposal for House was introduced in the constitutional convention it specified special elections shall begin within ten days of the vacancy occuring.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The 10 days covered cases when the vacancy occurs too close to the Friday to have a proper election. It is legal to skip one Friday to have the election the following one. I don't see a debate on the provisions for House special election in the pages after that but the 10 days vanished and is not in the final version in the constitution. I guess it was a victim of trying to keep the constitution as short as possible.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #276 on: August 09, 2017, 09:07:36 PM »

I will note that I fully expected the special election to be the following weekend and was surprised to find it underway when I came on early Friday morning
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #277 on: August 15, 2017, 06:53:34 PM »

Doesn't this sort of need to be finished before the election so we know who to put on the ballot?
Encke
United States

« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2017, 03:04:07 PM »

On the topic of 1184AZ v Peebs:

The key word in the case is the use of the word 'persons' rather than 'registered voters' or 'citizens;' if either of those words had been used, moving regions after deregistration and reregistration would be legal, as a deregistered person would cease to be a registered voter or a citizen. Since the word 'persons' is used, it applies to all individuals, even those not temporarily registered in-game, and thus the 180-day rule still stands for people who have deregistered and then reregistered.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=273087.0 I mean this lawsuit kind of seems pointless, since a new bill is going to change the definitions and such and make this clear anywho.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #280 on: January 28, 2018, 11:06:42 AM »

Itll be interesting to see what happens if the Supreme Court ever decides to hear the pending case, since the new session starts tomorrow, and chamber membership might be subject to change after the session starts. I wonder what happens to any chamber vote that is participated in by someone later found to not be the delegate.
Oh well. We have forever I guess.

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #281 on: January 28, 2018, 04:29:50 PM »

For reference in both the Turner case and in general, is the disastrous Chevron v. NRDC standard still in effect in Atlasia?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #282 on: January 28, 2018, 06:41:55 PM »

For reference in both the Turner case and in general, is the disastrous Chevron v. NRDC standard still in effect in Atlasia?

If so, I am trained in the art of administrative law, and I even pay the vba their annual $30 to let me say that.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #283 on: February 16, 2018, 01:39:27 AM »

So when are we actually getting a ruling in TimTurner v. Peebs?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »

So when are we actually getting a ruling in TimTurner v. Peebs?
Soon,
The SC is currently debating about it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #285 on: March 24, 2018, 05:08:01 AM »

Quick someone get my coffee and popcorn.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2018, 05:22:19 PM »

How does the jury work? I think every juror post a verdict so it doesn't have to be a unanimous decision. After all sides have pleaded, do jurors have discussion or have to keep to themselves, individual thoughts and decision so there is no influencing between them.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #287 on: July 18, 2018, 02:37:35 PM »

This gonna be good. Tongue
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #288 on: July 18, 2018, 02:38:01 PM »

Oh god yes I can hear the REEEEs now
Filinovich
AdamFilinovich
Rookie
United States

« Reply #289 on: July 18, 2018, 02:51:58 PM »

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #290 on: July 18, 2018, 08:24:51 PM »

Maybe Justice Gass will have to recuse himself from the 1184AZ v Peebs case on party merger. He is quoted in the filing suit when he changed back registration to Labor and didn't like the automatic party change so it's difficult to look impartial.

Almost four months after the merger is kind of late to make it illegal, it's been ok for many months but it's not anymore. Maybe it's a case in theory for fututre mergers. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2018, 08:55:38 PM »

Maybe Justice Gass will have to recuse himself from the 1184AZ v Peebs case on party merger. He is quoted in the filing suit when he changed back registration to Labor and didn't like the automatic party change so it's difficult to look impartial.

Almost four months after the merger is kind of late to make it illegal, it's been ok for many months but it's not anymore. Maybe it's a case in theory for fututre mergers. 

I was actually organizing a lawsuit with Bacon King on much the same grounds back in March, but he disappeared during the discussions.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #292 on: July 18, 2018, 09:17:00 PM »

But anyone who felt wronged or found it illegal back then could have started a court case. Maybe there is a time limit for court case like there is for challenging an election result.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2018, 08:59:53 PM »

Would a court case resulting from challenging the result of the Fremont election be heard by the Fremont regional justice since it's a regional election and you need to know regional election laws or all the justices ? 
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #294 on: August 20, 2018, 07:46:53 AM »

You’re claiming that Pericles vote is invalid because he posted, and then deleted a ballot- something which you also allegedly did.

If this court rules Pericles vote invalid, then your vote would also be invalid. It’s not a seperate issue- it occurred in the exactly same election. It’s really quite simple.

No, you don't seem to understand how this works. Each case is separate. I'm suing over Pericles ballot. The sole issue of this case is his ballot. No one's else ballot is being considered here. Someone would have to file a separate case over that.
The Supreme Court Justices has around 15 years of combined experience in Atlasia; including at every level of service. We make mistakes; but you’re in the wrong here.

Ahem, I would like to point out that one of the justices has on an individual basis 14 years of experience in Atlasia Wink  You whippersnappers should add your totals to mine.
Encke
United States

« Reply #295 on: December 04, 2018, 02:16:56 AM »

On the topic of 1184AZ v Peebs, I made a similar point last year as a response to last year's less detailed but similar 1184AZ v Peebs (which was withdrawn almost immediately due to possible conflict of interest). Glad to see this issue is being addressed again.

On the topic of 1184AZ v Peebs:

The key word in the case is the use of the word 'persons' rather than 'registered voters' or 'citizens;' if either of those words had been used, moving regions after deregistration and reregistration would be legal, as a deregistered person would cease to be a registered voter or a citizen. Since the word 'persons' is used, it applies to all individuals, even those not temporarily registered in-game, and thus the 180-day rule still stands for people who have deregistered and then reregistered.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #296 on: December 08, 2018, 07:41:38 PM »

good to be back  Afro
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #297 on: December 08, 2018, 07:54:49 PM »

December 8th is a magical day. You get to be Attorney General again and I got to administer Senate stuff for the first time since July 2014.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #298 on: December 10, 2018, 11:06:26 PM »

Wait, this is the second 1184AZ vs. Peebs?!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #299 on: December 10, 2018, 11:12:40 PM »

Wait, this is the second 1184AZ vs. Peebs?!

I thought there were 3.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies