Is edwards the best VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:07:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is edwards the best VP?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Is edwards the best VP?  (Read 21402 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2004, 12:15:37 AM »

And now we cross to the Californian delegate to the national conspiracy theorist party conference...

night guys Tongue
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2004, 12:17:30 AM »

It doesnt matter. The Confederacy had a right to exist. Slavery would have come to an end within a generation. It would have been worth it to let slavery continue for 15 more years if it meant those 700,000 didnt have to die

If you lived in the Confederacy today, would your schools be integrated?
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2004, 12:17:59 AM »

Dude whats up with the pics of the dead kids? Castro or Sadams work? Is Angus always like this?

Ive never seen him like this! Its Saddams work. I put pics like this up late at night. I take them off before I go to bed, just because they arent acceptable to a daytime audience.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2004, 12:18:37 AM »

Yes, I believe they would have. Poor white southerners and blacks have gotten along well long before slavery ended. Most of the racial stuff was inflamed by carpetbaggers after the war.
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2004, 12:18:46 AM »

It doesnt matter. The Confederacy had a right to exist. Slavery would have come to an end within a generation. It would have been worth it to let slavery continue for 15 more years if it meant those 700,000 didnt have to die

Yes. South Africa's schools are integrated
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2004, 12:20:06 AM »

Anyways, whats this have to do with John Edwards for VP?
Kghadial
Rookie

« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2004, 12:20:36 AM »

Slavery was a very strong force.  I don't think it would have died out in a generation.  Remember we fought a war with Mexico because of Slavery, we needed more slave friendly territory.  Kansas was a bloody bloody place because slavers wanted Kansas to be slave territory. Even though none of the cash crops that made slavery worthwhile could be grown there.

The 1860s would have been a time for war even if Lincoln hadn't been president. The US would have had to go take over Cuba so an extra three slave states could be made to balance out the western states that were coming.  The US would have had to fight the Spaniards 40 years earlier, when the US was smaller and weaker and Spain had a little more of its old glory left.  The Spanish American War in the 1860s wouldn't have been as easy as it was in the late 1890s .  

I think someone said that America would be at war with every nation from Mexico to Tierra del Fuego unless slavery was ended.

But hey, the South was right; states are allowed to secede. But the Union is allowed to declare war on them and beat them into submission ...
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2004, 12:21:15 AM »

I beleive Angus stated he supported the CSA, then the whole convo went off track, and Angus started acting like a psycho
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2004, 12:22:26 AM »

I see.  So integration just would have taken decades longer, involved countless deadly riots, police brutality, mass political oppression, and an international economic boycott of the Confederacy.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2004, 12:23:28 AM »

But hey, the South was right; states are allowed to secede. But the Union is allowed to declare war on them and beat them into submission ...

Is a Union a voluntary pact or a required pact? Does the Federal Govt have the right to beat up on a sovereign state for using its legal right to leave?
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2004, 12:23:41 AM »

I see.  So integration just would have taken decades longer, involved countless deadly riots, police brutality, mass political oppression, and an international economic boycott of the Confederacy.

No, southern segregation wasn't .5% of what South Africa's was
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2004, 12:25:09 AM »

Umm, remember reading about the busing issue in Boston? Northern schools were segregated to. Segregation wasnt limited to the south.
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2004, 12:26:37 AM »

Umm, remember reading about the busing issue in Boston? Northern schools were segregated to. Segregation wasnt limited to the south.

Most liberal place in the country having racial riots in the seventies
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2004, 12:26:41 AM »

Is a Union a voluntary pact or a required pact? Does the Federal Govt have the right to beat up on a sovereign state for using its legal right to leave?

By signing the Constitution, the states gave up the right to field their own armies.   They Southern states had the right to lobby for their views through the political process they committed to when they signed the Constitution.  There is no exit clause in the document.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2004, 12:28:00 AM »

No, southern segregation wasn't .5% of what South Africa's was

This is, southern segreation within the Union.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2004, 12:28:25 AM »

no i will not.  this is exactly the ing ridiculous picture the democrats, including my father and mother, whom I love with all my heart, will have you believe.

If you want to suck that big cock you go right ahead.

I have seen some people sink to low low low blows on this forum.  I have gone out of my way to be accomodating.  But this is exactly the fascist propaganda against the republican party I have seen all my life.  

Yes, we have money.  I ing came from poor white trash catholics motherer.  I'm sure, since my skin is light pink and my hair is yellow and my eyes are sky blue that My ancestors were never captured and traded to the Romans for servitude.  Or lusty flesh.  But I came from boat-people just like everyone else.  My grandparents were all immigrants, welcomed by this great country.  But how dare you claim such moral indignation over the minds of people?  I ing worked hard to get a three-figure income.  ing hard all my life.  You are one filtyy sonofabitch democrat to play that nastiest of cards.

I will go down in flames before I read one more piece of this most vile humor.  I have no ing sense of humor about slavery.  I didn't get that way when I became a republican.  I have been that way always.  This is absolutely the worst man.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  You self-righteous prick.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2004, 12:28:27 AM »

By signing the Constitution, the states gave up the right to field their own armies.   They Southern states had the right to lobby for their views through the political process they committed to when they signed the Constitution.  There is no exit clause in the document.

Even though Daniel Webster preached secession as a legal right, West Point taught it, and several N.England states almost did!
Kghadial
Rookie

« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2004, 12:29:25 AM »

I'm saying that states have a right to secede. Once they secede they are a sovereign nation. The US Congress can vote to declare War on other nations.

So while a state has the legal right to secede, the Union has the right to Declare War on that new nation. That is effectively what happened. The Conferederacy seceded then the North declared War on them and recaptured it.
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2004, 12:30:33 AM »

no i will not.  this is exactly the g ridiculous picture the democrats, including my father and mother, whom I love with all my heart, will have you believe.

If you want to suck that big cock you go right ahead.

I have seen some people sink to low low low blows on this forum.  I have gone out of my way to be accomodating.  But this is exactly the fascist propaganda against the republican party I have seen all my life.  

Yes, we have money.  I g came from poor white trash catholics motherf**cker.  I'm sure, since my skin is light pink and my hair is yellow and my eyes are sky blue that My ancestors were never captured and traded to the Romans for servitude.  Or lusty flesh.  But I came from boat-people just like everyone else.  My grandparents were all immigrants, welcomed by this great country.  But how dare you claim such moral indignation over the minds of people?  I g worked hard to get a three-figure income.  g hard all my life.  You are one filtyy sonofabitch democrat to play that nastiest of cards.

I will go down in flames before I read one more piece of this most vile humor.  I have no g sense of humor about slavery.  I didn't get that way when I became a republican.  I have been that way always.  This is absolutely the worst man.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  You self-righteous prick.

Who are you talking to? Me?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2004, 12:31:09 AM »

But Lincoln said the states never left in the first place! lol
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2004, 12:31:33 AM »

Even though Daniel Webster preached secession as a legal right, West Point taught it, and several N.England states almost did!

But when SC went off with nullification, Jackson sent in the troops and Webster supported him

"Bob Hayne's famous debate with Daniel Webster in Jan., 1830, precipitated by the Foot Resolution, covered all the issues of political and economic difference between the South and the North. Hayne upheld the doctrines of states’ rights and nullification, thus provoking Webster’s impassioned defense of a nationalistic interpretation of the Constitution"
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2004, 12:32:24 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2004, 12:33:24 AM by ncjake »

I'm saying that states have a right to secede. Once they secede they are a sovereign nation. The US Congress can vote to declare War on other nations.

So while a state has the legal right to secede, the Union has the right to Declare War on that new nation. That is effectively what happened. The Conferederacy seceded then the North declared War on them and recaptured it.

I agree with that. But I think the North should not have declared war on the South. It was over cotton, not slaves
edit: or preserving the union
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2004, 12:34:01 AM »

Actually when the south left the north lost their main source of income. Remember, the south for many years before the war was being sucked dry by the north while the north would take the money and use it to improve their infrastructure and give nothing but crumbs back to the south.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2004, 12:34:06 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2004, 12:35:56 AM by Beet »

where in the constitution does it give states the right to secede? I thought this issue was decided at least by 1832, if not earlier. Plus, if a state seceded, it would have had to deprive the federal government of some powers, but federal law is supreme, which was settled at least by Gibbons v Ogden (1824), if not earlier.

*Lincoln carried all the free states and none of the slave states.

*Cotton was hardly picked by martians.
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2004, 12:34:57 AM »

where in the constitution does it give states the right to secede?

where does it say they dont have the right to secede?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies