Is edwards the best VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:08:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is edwards the best VP?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Is edwards the best VP?  (Read 21405 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2004, 03:18:46 PM »

You technically can win the white house with 11 votes.

That's assuming lower turnout. You can win with 17% of the vote in a two-man race with normal turnout.

Well, if you win TX, CA, NY, etc. each by one vote to zero, you can win with only about a dozen votes.

Yeah, but that's unrealistic in the extreme, since it supposes that no one else would vote there. It also says nothing about the electoral system. In Sweden you could win with 1 vote, if only one person voted. So our system would thus be worse... Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2004, 03:19:06 PM »

I hope you all know that no Democrat has ever become president that hasnt won at least 5 southern states. Good luck Kerry.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2004, 03:21:27 PM »

I hope you all know that no Democrat has ever become president that hasnt won at least 5 southern states. Good luck Kerry.

Yes, we know that. We also know that Clinton won enough states to not need those Southern states he won...and that all previous Democrats ran with a Southern base, like Bush is doing now.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2004, 03:48:09 PM »

Political analysts are in agreement that Kerry can win without winning a single southern state.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2004, 03:58:22 PM »

Is that likely to happen? Doubtful.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2004, 04:00:20 PM »

Who do you say that?  Look:

Gore-NM-IA=248+OH+NH=272

See, it's more than doable.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2004, 04:05:50 PM »

Who do you say that?  Look:

Gore-NM-IA=248+OH+NH=272

See, it's more than doable.

I like that stars and bars.  I like even more the fact that every floridian on this forum has a blue state.  The only electoral votes south of Mason & Dixon's line the democrats will win are DC, Maryland, and Delaware.  A grand total of sixteen.  Republicans put together many victories without the South, but that was back when those states totalled about half the fraction of the overall number that they now do.  I encourage Mr. McAuliffe to write off the south.  

As for Ohio, it's just a matter of money.  
As for New Hampshire, potential Buchanan voters will come back home when they start looking a little closer at the Boston Globe.

Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2004, 04:09:01 PM »

West Virginia likely will swing to JFK too.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2004, 04:11:32 PM »

Actually there's quite a bit of discussion in the funny papers about 2000 was just a fluke.  That the union types preferred being told how to vote by their Union Masters.  Don't know if I buy that though.  What do you think?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2004, 04:13:10 PM »

Actually there's quite a bit of discussion in the funny papers about 2000 was just a fluke.  That the union types preferred being told how to vote by their Union Masters.  Don't know if I buy that though.  What do you think?

Gore won 65% of the union vote I think...Kerry will probably do about the same, maybe a little better, and alot better if he chooses Gephardt as his running mate.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2004, 04:17:20 PM »

Talk to Realpolitik...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2004, 04:18:42 PM »

But does that say OH and WV are Kerry Country?  I personally would rather see an honest campaign by the Bush people than a nasty wedge-issue campaign.  Mud slings both ways, and alienates those in the middle.  Looking at the primary voting maps, and extrapolating from the shades of red, seems like sububurbanites aren't quite sold on JFK.  n'est-ce pas?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2004, 04:20:31 PM »

But does that say OH and WV are Kerry Country?  I personally would rather see an honest campaign by the Bush people than a nasty wedge-issue campaign.  Mud slings both ways, and alienates those in the middle.  Looking at the primary voting maps, and extrapolating from the shades of red, seems like sububurbanites aren't quite sold on JFK.  n'est-ce pas?

Ohio and West Virignia are battel-ground states and will probably decide this election.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2004, 04:21:11 PM »

agreed.

oh, hold that thought.  gg wants me to go to Wal-Mart with her.  but in general, I think you're right.  more later...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2004, 04:26:58 PM »

agreed.

oh, hold that thought.  gg wants me to go to Wal-Mart with her.  but in general, I think you're right.  more later...

I usually am right. Cool

j/k Wink
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2004, 04:43:46 PM »

But the South used to be the Democrats base of power, if they didn't win the south they were toast, but now the Democrats are winning most of the North East along with the states of the pacific coast, their base of power has moved to the North-East and so provided they win enough in that area, won't need to win the South.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2004, 04:48:38 PM »

But the South used to be the Democrats base of power, if they didn't win the south they were toast, but now the Democrats are winning most of the North East along with the states of the pacific coast, their base of power has moved to the North-East and so provided they win enough in that area, won't need to win the South.

Exactly, the only Dems to run without the South as the base of power were LBJ, Humphrey, McGovern, Mondale, Dukakis, Clinton and Gore. And those, well...lost, but what the hell... Sad
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2004, 04:52:02 PM »

Actually, I think the 5-state-thingy probably was true until the 90s since the GOP had California, the pacific and the South-West back then and also retained some strength in New England (Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, mostly). Clinton changed all that and brought the Dems back in. But the 1968-1988 era was a tough period for the Dems, they lost big every time except 1976, when Carter ran a Southern campaign.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2004, 04:53:59 PM »

Talk to Realpolitik...

Yeah, I was trying to flirt with Realpolitik.  He's like Gollum in the Hobbit or something.  Comes out only when it's absolutely necessary to correct some bizarre misinformation.  

Concannon Vineyards.  Central Coast Petit Sirah.  I love this country.  Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.  My old Grand Dad, his good friend Jim Beam.  Truely the greatest land on earth.  So much for that tripe about there not being any impetus for hedonism.  All play and no work makes Jack a spoiled boy and such.  She's cooking.  She's gonna make me eat that crap, I swear.  AAAAAH.  goddammit.  I was doing fine with my drink and my solitude.  You boys oughta settle down.  You'll live longer.

Okay, where were we.  Oh, yeah.  Edwards.  Yeah.  pretty good with the ladies, I hear.  Not like howard dean.  Did you get a load of Margaret Carlson describing him on CNN?  Too ing funny.  Anyway, I'd say I'd have to agree with the consensus that Edwards is The Man.  It only matters 'where you're from' if you're running for President, not VP.  Get that you jackass Democrats?  Watch this:  Dick Cheney is from Wyoming.  It doesn't ing matter.  Okay?  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2004, 05:00:56 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2004, 05:02:23 PM by StatesRights »

Well this election cycle I can guarantee you one thing! The Democratic Candidate will win his home state!

Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2004, 05:04:02 PM »

Well this election cycle I can guarantee you one thing! The Democratic Candidate will win his home state!

Tongue

Now, it's way too early to make these kind of predictions.

Wink
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2004, 05:07:35 PM »

That does my heart good, friend.  I swear to whatever gods there be that it takes balls to show the states-rights symbol.  I respect that like you wouldn't believe.  All these narrow-minded bastards that never read a ing history book piss me off.  Did I tell you I used to be a Democrat?  Hate-mongers.  Every ing last one of them.  Okay, that's a little strong...but I'm on my way to innebration.  Anyway...

anyway, yeah, you're right.  Kerry will win in Massachusetts no doubt.  Massachusetts is a fine place, by the way.  So is Florida, boss.  And Texas.  And Wyoming.  And especially California.  I must take my meal now boys.  Every time I leave you ers alone for five minutes you start fighting among yourselves, so I'm not worried.  

Hey, did you get your copy of the Nader petition yet statesrights?  Seriously, get one today and start collecting signatures.  I'm serious, dude.  Do it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2004, 05:17:23 PM »

Angus man you crack me up. What in the world have you been drinking? Nader is a GOP conspiracy to keep Democrats out of office Wink. No shame in showing a States Rights symbol. If you read enough and not believe school history books you will see the truth.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2004, 05:24:50 PM »

I am already there statesrights.  Seriously.  Everyone thinks I'm being a smart-aleck.  I realize my pleas for credibiilty fall on deaf ears.  But yes, I was lucky enough to have a few good history teachers.  That's why I am a big fan of the President's wife's campaign.  We're on the same page, you and I.  No doubt about that.  You really need to make damn sure nader is on your state's ballot.  word.

Now be gone.  I'm closing this window.  

"a liberal is a conservative who hasn't yet been mugged."
       --Mark Jaska
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2004, 05:29:43 PM »

I've been mugged and I'm still a liberal. Is something wrong with me, doc?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies