2009 Nassau County Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:23:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2009 Nassau County Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: 2009 Nassau County Election  (Read 29838 times)
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2009, 02:09:18 AM »

Silly question.  

Yeah, Republicans like me who'd love to see the NY Democratic Party's next great hope go down in flames.  

If Suozzi loses, Republicans will control the County Execs in Nassau, Westchester, Rockland, Putnam and Orange Counties, and endorsed the mayor of NYC.  A Republican would head the executive branch of every New York county/NYC government in the Greater NYC area save Suffolk County.  (No, borough president figureheads don't count).  Quite a feat for a party that's been left for dead in the Northeast.  That the loss was unexpected is icing on the cake.

Do you really expect that everyone on this website idolizes Democrats?

All of those except for Nassau and Westchester have already long been in Republican hands. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2009, 02:16:33 AM »

Silly question.  

Yeah, Republicans like me who'd love to see the NY Democratic Party's next great hope go down in flames.  

If Suozzi loses, Republicans will control the County Execs in Nassau, Westchester, Rockland, Putnam and Orange Counties, and endorsed the mayor of NYC.  A Republican would head the executive branch of every New York county/NYC government in the Greater NYC area save Suffolk County.  (No, borough president figureheads don't count).  Quite a feat for a party that's been left for dead in the Northeast.  That the loss was unexpected is icing on the cake.

Do you really expect that everyone on this website idolizes Democrats?

You're getting weird lately dude.

I obviously don't think that, but I thought that most Republicans on this site that know who he is thought him to be a competent administrator.  
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2009, 05:23:42 AM »

Newsday is reporting Mangano's lead is down to 553 after Wednesday's count - a net drop of 1 whole vote from their last report.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2009, 10:23:55 AM »

Newsday is reporting Mangano's lead is down to 553 after Wednesday's count - a net drop of 1 whole vote from their last report.

OMG!!!!!!
ACORN IS TRYING TO STEAL THE ELECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »

Mangano's lead is down to 122 votes:

http://www.longislandpress.com/2009/11/24/mangano-suozzi-race-update/

I'm amazed at the slowness with which they're counting these ballots. It's been three damn weeks!
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2009, 10:27:07 PM »

Wow, that is truly slow counting.  It rivals Franken vs Coleman.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2009, 11:49:20 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2009, 12:01:26 AM by cinyc »

I'm amazed at the slowness with which they're counting these ballots. It's been three damn weeks!

Since the election, yes.  But  they didn't start opening absentees and other paper ballots until the following week.  They're through about 2/3rds of them, with 10% or so set aside for judicial challenges.

According to the linked article, the most recent votes came from a Democrat stronghold Assembly District that includes Suozzi's hometown.  The next batch to be counted this week are from a Republican-friendly South Shore Legislative District 6, and the final batch to be counted next week are from towns and villages near the Queens line.

Edited to add: Newsday is reporting Mangano's lead is up to 160 after finishing counting ADs 13 and 14.  About 830 absentees and other paper ballots in ADs 10 and 21 are left to count, according to Newsday, and about 500 have been set aside for judicial review.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2009, 03:47:04 AM »

Since the election, yes.  But  they didn't start opening absentees and other paper ballots until the following week.  They're through about 2/3rds of them, with 10% or so set aside for judicial challenges.

According to the linked article, the most recent votes came from a Democrat stronghold Assembly District that includes Suozzi's hometown.  The next batch to be counted this week are from a Republican-friendly South Shore Legislative District 6, and the final batch to be counted next week are from towns and villages near the Queens line.

Edited to add: Newsday is reporting Mangano's lead is up to 160 after finishing counting ADs 13 and 14.  About 830 absentees and other paper ballots in ADs 10 and 21 are left to count, according to Newsday, and about 500 have been set aside for judicial review.

Its a little more than just Nassau's 6th LD for tomorrow.  The LI Press article also mentions Baldwin which is in the 5th.  Also I would dispute that Baldwin and Valley Stream are Republican strongholds.  Baldwin is fairly Democratic leaning and Valley Stream is pretty marginal and pretty much in line with Nassau as a whole.  Rockville Centre and Lynbrook are both Republican.

As far as the areas next week, Franklin Square area is strongly Republican, Elmont and North Valley Stream are strongly Democratic, I'm not really sure about Floral Park, though I think its pretty marginal
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2009, 11:16:32 PM »

According to Newsday, Mangano is up by 213, with only 623 paper ballots left to count - all from AD 21 (Floral Park/Bellerose/Elmont/Franklin Square/Melverne).  Those will be counted on Monday.  After that, which of the remaining 500-600 disputed ballots are to be opened will be decided on in court.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2009, 01:01:46 AM »

According to Newsday, Mangano is up by 213, with only 623 paper ballots left to count - all from AD 21 (Floral Park/Bellerose/Elmont/Franklin Square/Melverne).  Those will be counted on Monday.  After that, which of the remaining 500-600 disputed ballots are to be opened will be decided on in court.

Enrollment wise the 21st AD is slightly more Dem than Nassau as a whole, but unless the absentee ballots are mostly from Elmont and North Valley Stream it is unlikely Suozzi will pick up that many more votes than Mangano from the 21st.
rbt48

« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2009, 07:30:36 PM »

This is truly an interesting election, only adding to the fact of its unexpected closeness.  It appears it will come down to resolution based upon how the 500 ballots set aside for Judicial review.  I wonder if they count on Friday?

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2009, 11:39:50 PM »

This is truly an interesting election, only adding to the fact of its unexpected closeness.  It appears it will come down to resolution based upon how the 500 ballots set aside for Judicial review.  I wonder if they count on Friday?

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

No.  Monday, from what I understand.
rbt48

« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2009, 11:11:39 PM »

Here is what Newsday reports today:
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/mangano-ahead-of-suozzi-by-377-votes-as-recount-ends-1.1629157

It also notes that Mejias conceded to Belesi, though no vote totals are provided.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2009, 05:58:36 PM »

Suozzi has conceded. 
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/suozzi-concedes-county-executive-race-1.1631322

Mangano +377 going into the contested votes.  My guess is most of them were objected to by Suozzi.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2009, 02:42:11 AM »

Official Results from the Nassau County Board of Elections website, broken down by party line:
EDWARD P MANGANO                              122,490
 EDWARD P MANGANO                         R   116,731
 EDWARD P MANGANO                         X     5,759 

THOMAS R SUOZZI                                  122,104
 THOMAS R SUOZZI                          D   111,501
 THOMAS R SUOZZI                          I     6,972
 THOMAS R SUOZZI                          W     3,631   

STEVEN HANSEN                            C               9,751

Result: Mangano +386. 

If media reports are correct, the questioned ballots that were initially set aside for judicial review slightly favored Mangano+9.  Assuming there was no recanvassing reported with the absentees, the overall absentee and affidavit ballots favored Suozzi by 79 - which is just a little under a 1% gap in the 8,092 ballots counted (i.e. approximately 50.5%-49.5% Suozzi)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2009, 03:57:20 AM »

Kid Icarus flew too close to the Sun.  A shame in the big picture as he was more tolerable than most NY State-wide Dems. Ugh @ Cuomo.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2009, 12:23:23 AM »

Suozzi lost because he got caught off his guard.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2009, 01:16:09 PM »

This wasn't that much of a surprise.  People, Suozzi included, did actually take the Republican candidate seriously AFAIK.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2009, 01:28:37 PM »

This wasn't that much of a surprise.  People, Suozzi included, did actually take the Republican candidate seriously AFAIK.

Not really, Suozzi still has more than $2 million cash on hand
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2009, 01:44:13 PM »

Not really, Suozzi still has more than $2 million cash on hand

Well, then.  LOL to him.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies