Confirmation Hearing: NiK (SoIA) CONFIRMED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 04:09:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: NiK (SoIA) CONFIRMED
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: NiK (SoIA) CONFIRMED  (Read 5622 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2009, 05:39:56 PM »

We extended this question and answer time and almost no one participates after clamoring for it.

What am I going to do with you people?

I already asked my questions before you extended the time and I am still waiting for answers to those before asking new ones.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2009, 05:43:34 PM »

I don't have any questions really. It's a post to make his own and given that there is a possibilty he may not be in the job after the election I don't feel he needs to give a blow by blow account of what he intends to do.

He answered pretty well on the issue of Social Security.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2009, 05:51:49 PM »

I think one concern some of us have, I hope that I'm right here, is that this positive isn't really in charge of policy changes or work. It's basically an advisory role to others changing policy and writing reports on already existing policy. I think NiK has given some of us the idea that he thinks he's actually going to have a hand in policy changing, which, if I understand the position correctly, he wouldn't.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2009, 05:55:13 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2009, 05:56:49 PM by Midwest Governor Vepres »

I think one concern some of us have, I hope that I'm right here, is that this positive isn't really in charge of policy changes or work. It's basically an advisory role to others changing policy and writing reports on already existing policy. I think NiK has given some of us the idea that he thinks he's actually going to have a hand in policy changing, which, if I understand the position correctly, he wouldn't.

Well he would decide how policy is enforced, he could make/remove a DoIA program and policy to aid in the enforcement of the laws. He would also have to determine when to hire and lay off SoIA employees, and, if the GM wants to, deal with budgetary issues.

The Senate could give him some power in legislation as well.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2009, 05:59:01 PM »

Well he would decide how policy is enforced, make/remove DoIA programs and policies to aid in the enforcement of the laws.

I got the impression that he intended to be the spokesman for Lief on domestic policy, offer input, and research methods of improvement to the infrastructure that he could then advise the Senate on. Reading his answers makes it seem that he wishes to make the government more efficient and take a role comparable to SoEA HW, and work with the GM, President and Cabinet. Obviously he's new, the position is new, he hasn't even been around during any confirmation hearings so I'm a bit surprised that he's managed to hold his own thus far. I think that having Lief's confidence and a good team to help him get started means that there should be very little objections.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2009, 05:59:31 PM »

We extended this question and answer time and almost no one participates after clamoring for it.

What am I going to do with you people?

I already asked my questions before you extended the time and I am still waiting for answers to those before asking new ones.

I haven't seen your question. Tongue, Will you quote it for Me?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2009, 06:09:07 PM »

I think that the appointee doesn't have a good grasp of what the position will do, where he wants to take it, or much depth in regards to certain questions. Some things which he mentioned like a strong dollar are good in theory, but does that mean he wants to prop up the dollar at above market levels. It also begs the question of how does he expect the World economy to rebalance if the US dollar doesn't decline enough to allow the trade deficit to be reduced to managable levels. I wish he would be more in-depth on health care, and a short description of his "affirmative action for the poor" idea would be nice.

So I will tenatively vote NAY but I am open to changing it if properly satisfied. A little more depth.

Again this is not about him, but about voting for someone to fill this position, and as many of you know this position deals with many issues that I consider to be important so natually my expectations might be a little higher then everyone else.

The struck through questions have already been addressed or been rendered unimportant by me, leaving only one.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2009, 06:22:12 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2009, 06:25:45 PM by SOIA-designate NiK »

What do you plan to make your number one priority in this postion? Are there anyways in which the position could be improved in your opinion? Do you intend to come to the Senate if you feel the position needs to be altered or changed?

I do not think the position can be improved yet, as its still in its early stages. Smiley

I will try to come to the Senate with the Department's position, but I will not take contradictory positions with President Lief.

My Number One Priority is to get this department working and functioning, currently.

Was this your question, NC?

I shall offer some more clarity. I intend to go to the Senate to voice my (and President Lief's) opinion on internal concerns. I will support bills that Lief has recommended, research how this will affect Atlasia, and bring annual concerns to the table. I will address the nation on the state of internal affairs, and I will give reports on internal affairs policies and the administration's position every three to five days.

Although I won't be making any actual policies, I will put for the Administration's recomendations and research how these internal policies will affect Atlasia.

I think that the appointee doesn't have a good grasp of what the position will do, where he wants to take it, or much depth in regards to certain questions. Some things which he mentioned like a strong dollar are good in theory, but does that mean he wants to prop up the dollar at above market levels. It also begs the question of how does he expect the World economy to rebalance if the US dollar doesn't decline enough to allow the trade deficit to be reduced to managable levels. I wish he would be more in-depth on health care, and a short description of his "affirmative action for the poor" idea would be nice.

So I will tenatively vote NAY but I am open to changing it if properly satisfied. A little more depth.

Again this is not about him, but about voting for someone to fill this position, and as many of you know this position deals with many issues that I consider to be important so natually my expectations might be a little higher then everyone else.

The struck through questions have already been addressed or been rendered unimportant by me, leaving only one.

Ok, my ideas for Affirmative Action are simple. I wish to recommend that gives people from lower income Students ($15,000 and Under), a tiny benefit in chasing their dreams to college. Here's why – because the poor student who does well in spite of hardships shows that he/she wants to do better, to get out of the current situation, and to make a future much better than the past. I would recommend a moderate position, and careful reviewing of the process.

I do not support this in a racial system, but for those who do reasonably well in spite of growing up in a bad neighborhood with plenty of distractions, yes they deserve to be rewarded for their perserverance.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2009, 07:35:33 PM »

Does anyone have any objections to a vote now?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2009, 09:10:09 PM »

Nope...
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2009, 09:15:01 PM »

Alright, we've had plenty of time now. Thank you everyone and thank you NiK for your cooperation.

I hereby call a final vote on the confirmation of NiK for Secretary of Internal Affairs. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2009, 09:27:39 PM »

Aye
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2009, 10:11:07 PM »

I think Nik has a grasp of what he's going to do.  So Aye.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2009, 11:17:47 PM »

Aye
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2009, 03:22:06 AM »

Nay.

I'm sorry NiK. I just don't think he's ready for the position and it's too important in it's trial run, for us to have any doubts.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2009, 05:46:20 AM »

Aye
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2009, 06:00:37 AM »

Abstain
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2009, 06:19:14 AM »

I think a budget would be a fantastic idea. And a consitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget would be even better. We already have people here spending like drunken sailors.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

It's been done before, it did not work (to risk hilarious understatement!) and it will not work if it is tried again.

Urgh, the things we had to do to get rid of the madness...
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2009, 06:41:30 AM »

Yes, for the record, I oppose bringing back the budget.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2009, 06:45:33 AM »

Benefit of the doubt.

Aye
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2009, 06:20:50 PM »

I thank you for all of your votes thus far  and If confirmed, I will start my first day tommorow.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »

Aye
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2009, 08:38:56 PM »

6 Ayes, 1 Nay, 1 Abstaining.

Nominee is confirmed for the position of Secretary of Internal Affairs.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2009, 10:22:40 AM »

Good job Marokai, having a Hamilton-crony/zombie in such an important role cannot be good for the country.  Mine as well have just appointed Hamilton
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2009, 10:27:52 AM »

Good job Marokai, having a Hamilton-crony/zombie in such an important role cannot be good for the country.  Mine as well have just appointed Hamilton

I doubt he is a Hamilton Crony. He is a little to close to him for my liking, but its not like he jumped ship with him or voted for Al or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies