Hillary Clinton rules out future presidential run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:03:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Hillary Clinton rules out future presidential run
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton rules out future presidential run  (Read 8408 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:44:25 PM »

link:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/10/12/hillary_clinton_bids_president.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Like Jason Zengerle of TNR:

http://www.tnr.com/blog/the-plank/did-hillary-just-rule-out-another-white-house-run

I actually don't think this means that she's definitively out for 2016.  2016 is a *long* time from now, and I don't think she'll pay any political price for changing her mind between now and then.  It's actually safer for her to publicly maintain that she never intends to run again at this point, to minimize any stories about her future political ambitions interfering with her current job.

Still, I thought it was worth mentioning.  She sounds less enthusiastic about running in 2016 than Biden does.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »

Ehhhh..... Too early.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 03:03:51 AM »

Unless she replaces Biden as VP in 2012 I can't see her running in 2016.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:52:11 AM »

Good, very good
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 05:50:56 PM »

This means nothing.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 10:41:33 PM »

Bingo.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 10:32:19 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2009, 10:34:19 PM by Ogre Mage »

Perhaps Clinton has decided she will never run again.  But even if she is still open to running, she had little choice but to answer as she did.  If she had said "maybe," the media $hit storm would become hugely distracting.  Unlike Biden, she cannot get away with such answers. 

She herself probably doesn't know yet, so the safest answer for her to give right now is "no."  She will look at the political situation when the time comes and make a decision.

I do agree, however, that her answer suggests she will step down as SoS at the end of Obama's first term and "take some time off."

Interestingly, this November she is scheduled to speak at the first annual public policy conference for No Limits, the non-profit organization which was started to keep former Hillary Clinton supporters "in touch."

http://www.nolimits.org/action/PolicyConference?sc=homepage

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 12:39:25 AM »

I think She'll run again.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 12:53:43 AM »

"You wont have Hillary to kick around anymore!"
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 05:45:46 PM »

Oh, shes just waiting for blood in the water.  Obama ruled out a run before he ran.  She stays quietly in the background and mounts an attack from the inside.  The Clintons are the most amazing influence peddlers in Washington: Notice how theres so much tension in the CIA (Leon Pannetta a former Clinton bigwig), military outlets, etc.  Clinton has the state department and she is undermining him from within.  They're also getting their buddies in the private sector to run their mouths about things.  A Robert Reich from 2007 video talking about how people will necessarily need to die is magically released in the middle of the debate on healthcare.

Too many coincidences, and nothing is a coincidence with the Clintons, or in politics.

She will resign from office, when she resigns it will be at a point when Obama is very weak, perhaps at the end of the 2010 elections, after the gigantic loss.  She can capitalize on demoralization from the establishment by the loss.  She will claim that she was unable to agree with the direction that President Obama was taking in foreign policy.  She will then announce her primary candidacy - it will look something like 45 - 55 in Obama's favor.  She will then run to Obama's left bringing up all of the false promises to the left he made.  It will be like Teddy (I killed a girl once) Kennedy all over again.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 12:23:39 AM »

Oh, shes just waiting for blood in the water.  Obama ruled out a run before he ran.  She stays quietly in the background and mounts an attack from the inside.  The Clintons are the most amazing influence peddlers in Washington: Notice how theres so much tension in the CIA (Leon Pannetta a former Clinton bigwig), military outlets, etc.  Clinton has the state department and she is undermining him from within.  They're also getting their buddies in the private sector to run their mouths about things.  A Robert Reich from 2007 video talking about how people will necessarily need to die is magically released in the middle of the debate on healthcare.

Too many coincidences, and nothing is a coincidence with the Clintons, or in politics.

She will resign from office, when she resigns it will be at a point when Obama is very weak, perhaps at the end of the 2010 elections, after the gigantic loss.  She can capitalize on demoralization from the establishment by the loss.  She will claim that she was unable to agree with the direction that President Obama was taking in foreign policy.  She will then announce her primary candidacy - it will look something like 45 - 55 in Obama's favor.  She will then run to Obama's left bringing up all of the false promises to the left he made.  It will be like Teddy (I killed a girl once) Kennedy all over again.

No.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 05:22:26 AM »

Ok that's it. You're obviously a sock. No way anyone can be that dumb and still know how to use a computer. It's just not physically possible.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 12:31:43 PM »

Ok that's it. You're obviously a sock. No way anyone can be that dumb and still know how to use a computer. It's just not physically possible.
What the hell! 

First, what is a sock - I'm not Eurotrash (since you started the personal attacks) and I guess I'm just not smart enough to know what that one means. 

Secondly, what is dumb about my post - Michelle Obama herself was worried about Hillary enough that it kept her from becoming VP instead of The Sage of Wilmington, Joe Biden.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 01:18:19 PM »

What the hell! 

First, what is a sock - I'm not Eurotrash (since you started the personal attacks) and I guess I'm just not smart enough to know what that one means. 

Secondly, what is dumb about my post - Michelle Obama herself was worried about Hillary enough that it kept her from becoming VP instead of The Sage of Wilmington, Joe Biden.

I'm very proud to be European, and Eurotrash is better than regulur trash like you, so I don't mind you calling me that. However sock is as far as I know American, because I learned it on this site. It means that you're either a liberal Democrat pretending to be an ignorant right-wing nutjob to further damish the Republicans unfortunatley already bad reputation, or a Republican poster who feels like spewing complete rubbish and spam, but who don't want to get in trouple with his regular account.

As for the stupid part, just the simple fact that you think Michelle Obama had anything to do with Hillary not becoming VP, should be proof enough.     
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 06:02:12 PM »

However sock is as far as I know American, because I learned it on this site. It means that you're either a liberal Democrat pretending to be an ignorant right-wing nutjob to further damish the Republicans unfortunatley already bad reputation, or a Republican poster who feels like spewing complete rubbish and spam, but who don't want to get in trouple with his regular account.

Not quite.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 01:24:58 AM »

What the hell! 

I'm very proud to be European, and Eurotrash is better than regulur trash like you, so I don't mind you calling me that. However sock is as far as I know American, because I learned it on this site. It means that you're either a liberal Democrat pretending to be an ignorant right-wing nutjob to further damish the Republicans unfortunatley already bad reputation, or a Republican poster who feels like spewing complete rubbish and spam, but who don't want to get in trouple with his regular account.

As for the stupid part, just the simple fact that you think Michelle Obama had anything to do with Hillary not becoming VP, should be proof enough.     

Please, before you call someone else stupid, I suggest that you learn how to spell first (trouple).  I am not a liberal posing as a conservative.  I am also not one who posts rubbish.  Everyone, whether you agree with my hypothetical or not, everyone pretty much thinks that the conversation went down like this:

Barack: Honey, should I pick Hillary to be vice president?  What do you think?

Michelle: Do you really want her here, with Bill, running around the White House?

This includes national pundits on the left and the right.  Some pundits think that Michelle even took a more forceful view.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 04:29:08 PM »

Yup I'm sure everyone agrees that's the only reason Hillary is not VP now Roll Eyes

Oh and you're right, I did misspell trouble, how silly of me. Well obviously this proves your intelligence, can't believe I ever doubted it. After all it takes a true genius like yourself to not only predic the Republican's unavoidable landslide victories in 2010 and 2012, but to also reveal Hillary Clinton's evil plan to take down Obama. Yep, you're a true brilliant mind.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 04:59:20 PM »

It's easy for people who are not 62 and with a taxing job to say she doesn't mean it but maybe she does.  Maybe she made her peace with never being president after the primary and it was a greater relief than she expected.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A pretty good summary of my view, and why I am inclined to take her word that she has no intention of running for president again, and that she wants someone younger take up the torch. 
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2009, 04:02:58 PM by TheDarkMagician »

Good. I would have supported her in 2008, but her time is now passed and there needs to be a newer generation of leaders to take the torch in 2016 and beyond.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »

I would definately support her in the Democratic primary, but it is absurd to think that she could win in 2012. The base is too much in bed with Obama now.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 04:03:41 PM »

I would definately support her in the Democratic primary, but it is absurd to think that she could win in 2012. The base is too much in bed with Obama now.

Do you think she can win and/or will win in 2016, though?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »

No
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »

No

Good. Her time has passed.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 04:50:51 PM »

If Obama has been in office 8 years, probably not.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 12:55:25 AM »

First of all, the base is not in bed with Obama right now. Have you all not been paying attention to the news? The base is beyond pissed at Obama for his ridiculous and clumsy and cowardly way of handling health care. Seriously, what has he done in his first of office that is so exciting to the masses? He bailed out Wall Street and banks with our taxpayers' money, he urged the passing of the stimulus package which hasn't really been all that beneficial, both of which has multiplied our national debt. The unemployment rate has doubled since he's been in office. His approval ratings are dropping while Hillary's are rising, and while I know that's because Hillary doesn't receive as much scrutiny as Obama, it's very promising for her future career.

As a diehard PUMA/bitter Hillary supporter, let me throw this out there to you. Would I like to see her run in 2012? Of course I would. Do I think it's going to happen? Right now, depends. Sure, she says she's not going to, but how many times do politicians change their minds? More so than light bulbs. She's surely enjoying reforming her own political image right now. She's doing a great job as Secretary of State, her numbers have never been higher, and even conservatives and Republicans are coming out and praising her for the great job she's doing, and here I thought that all Republicans hated her?! It would be easy for her to run in 2012. All she would have to say is, "I told you so." Maybe then she'd regain the African American base that was very much in bed with the Clintons until the black guy from Chicago came along and they decided it was more important to vote based on skin color as opposed to leadership qualities and credentials, and I don't care if you think that's racist or not, but it's true. And she didn't ruin her chances at becoming President. She was screwed by the party. The terrible way they handled the Michigan and Florida fiasco (hey, my name wasn't on the ballot in Michigan, why didn't I get any delegates?) and the pathetic way that people called for her to drop out before Ohio and Texas. Then you have the media, who really was/is in bed with Obama from Day One, constantly trashing her and her supporters as nothing but a bunch of backwoods racist hillbillies (last I checked, these people vote Republican), calling her "the Al Sharpton of white people," and analyzing her wins as nothing but a Rush Limbaugh conspiracy. "She only won because Rush Limbaugh told his listeners to get out and keep her in the race." Every time Obama won, it was because he was oh-so-inspiring and really motivated people. Blah blah blah. Clearly Hillary was the most qualified and experienced candidate and would have made ten times a better President than Obama is, who is really destroying the Democratic Party (cue all the recent retirements and those that will follow). A part of me laughs and says that they deserve it for the way they treated Hillary, but a part of me does not want to endure more years of Republican policies.

But, I'm done ranting now. Best case scenario would be Obama resigns, Biden runs for his old Senate seat, Pelosi stays in the House, and then Hillary would succeed to the throne or could run in 2012. I'd love to see a Hillary-Palin match-up, which I know Hillary would win in a landslide. Now feel free to label me as a bitter racist, the racist label doesn't phase me anymore because 1) I know I'm not and 2) I was automatically labeled a racist for supporting the white candidate to which I always called Obama's supporters sexist for not supporting the female candidate. The knife cuts both ways, people.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies