Your position on abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:04:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Your position on abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Poll
Question: Pro-life or Pro-choice
Strongly Pro-life
Pro-life
In the middle (or both for you Kerry fans)
Pro-choice
Strongly Pro-Choice
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your position on abortion  (Read 27184 times)
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2004, 10:29:50 PM »

Pro-Choice. Cause I don't really care! LOL.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2004, 03:06:20 AM »

1st trimester yes; 2nd trimester no, excluding rape, incest or severe medical complications, third trimester, no. I don't like, but can cope with, abortion of an embryo. But once it's a fetus, it becomes a horrible deed, and unless a horrible deed caused it or a horrible occurance would happen without it, then it should be illegal.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2004, 03:23:37 AM »

Moderately pro-life (at least that's how I see it...)

Basically, abortions after 18 weeks should be illegal (or at least discouraged) except for medical reasons... but at the same time efforts need to be taken to reduce the causes of abortions (anti poverty measures, better sex education, contraceptives made easily available etc)
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2004, 11:20:10 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2004, 11:28:31 AM by Brambila »

If you are pro-life are their any exceptions where abortion should be legal?

If you are pro-choice are their any situtations where abortion should be banned?
there should be no limits on a womans choices.
If such a society existed where women could make endless choices, we'd have thousands of people killed every year. Ah yes, we already have that society!

I don't think that society should make any attempt to kill anyone, but rather to save another's life. War shouldn't be about killing our enemies, it should be about saving our lives- self defense. Capital Punishment shouldn't be punishment, it should be defending society from an evil, and discouraging crime. Similarly, if the mother's life is threatened, we shouldn't have a goal to kill the fetus, we should have a goal to save the mother. For instance, in etopic pregnancies where the fetus is stuck in the fallopian tube, the goal isn't to kill the fetus, the goal is to save the mother, and the fetus dies in the process.

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2004, 11:57:14 AM »

Basically, abortions after 18 weeks should be illegal (or at least discouraged) except for medical reasons... but at the same time efforts need to be taken to reduce the causes of abortions (anti poverty measures, better sex education, contraceptives made easily available etc)

I agree with your position almost 100% (I think I'd make it 20 weeks instead of 18, but that's starting to split hairs). However, I consider myself moderately pro-choice.

I still haven't seen anyone come up with a good rationale for why throwing people in jail would help matters; would that really be a more effective way to stop abortion than anti poverty measures, better sex education, and contraceptives made more easily available?

We have to get away from demonization of the other side on the abortion issue. The real question that divides pro-lifers and pro-choicers is the one I just stated, I think. We both want to make abortion happen less often, but pro-lifers prefer the direct approach of throwing people in prison, whereas pro-choicers prefer instead to make abortion less necessary.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2004, 11:58:42 AM »

Same reason we throw people in jail for other crimes against humanity
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2004, 01:24:53 PM »

Strongly Pro-Life
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2004, 04:53:20 PM »

I agree with your position almost 100% (I think I'd make it 20 weeks instead of 18, but that's starting to split hairs). However, I consider myself moderately pro-choice.

I still haven't seen anyone come up with a good rationale for why throwing people in jail would help matters; would that really be a more effective way to stop abortion than anti poverty measures, better sex education, and contraceptives made more easily available?

We have to get away from demonization of the other side on the abortion issue. The real question that divides pro-lifers and pro-choicers is the one I just stated, I think. We both want to make abortion happen less often, but pro-lifers prefer the direct approach of throwing people in prison, whereas pro-choicers prefer instead to make abortion less necessary.

We don't want to decrease abortion, we want to make it nonexistant! The same reason why we imprison people for murder, we imprison them for abortion.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2004, 05:44:56 PM »

what about if the baby is born with a severe debilitating genetic condition where it is unlikely to live past age 2, and is expected to suffer greatly? Abortion is bad, and Roe V Wade should be overturned, but Brambila, Abortion cannot be made non-existant. In situations such as those Abortion is necessary.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2004, 06:17:24 PM »

I'm pro-life.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2004, 09:49:41 PM »

what about if the baby is born with a severe debilitating genetic condition where it is unlikely to live past age 2, and is expected to suffer greatly? Abortion is bad, and Roe V Wade should be overturned, but Brambila, Abortion cannot be made non-existant. In situations such as those Abortion is necessary.

Not as much anymore. With technological breakthroughs appearing every minute, the excuse to have an abortion to save the mother's life will soon be nonexistent.

My friend's brother was born with Cerebral Palsy, and they didn't expect him to live past the age of four- he simply didn't have the ability. That same kid is fourteen now, and although he does have retardation, he does NOT wish he was dead. You cannot kill somebody with the excuse that they will die anyway. Everyone is going to die. Nobody's going to live past the age of 200, but that doesn't give us the right to kill them. Sure, 2 years is very small, but isn't every single moment of life precious?
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 4.77, S: -3.48

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2004, 10:12:21 PM »

Personally, I'm pro-life. 

However, in a libertarian view (little l), a woman's body is her's, and as long as Roe V. Wade applies, she can do whatever she wants with it regarding abortion.

Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2004, 11:04:42 PM »

Why are you pro-life, if you think the fetus is part of the mother's body?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2004, 12:50:40 AM »

No comments on my "McAbortion" comment?
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2004, 01:36:08 AM »

No comments on my "McAbortion" comment?

It's repulsive, almost as disgusting as what currently goes on at McDonalds  Wink.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2004, 01:59:27 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2004, 02:01:48 AM by SCJ Nym90 »

We don't want to decrease abortion, we want to make it nonexistant! The same reason why we imprison people for murder, we imprison them for abortion.

Well, making it nonexistent is still decreasing it. That was my point.

And throwing people in prison won't make it nonexistent. Throwing people in prison for muder doesn't make it nonexistent either.

A more effective way of reducing murder (as well as abortion) is to make it less necessary also by reducing poverty. There is a very strong correlation within states and nations across the world between poverty and murder and other crime rates.

Of course, I have a different position on murder than I do on abortion (I'll explain why in the next paragraph), but as far as actually reducing or eliminating the incidence of either, the solutions that will most effectively solve them have more to do with eliminating the problem at its source rather than trying to solve it after the fact. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I do not believe that a person's life "begins" at conception, I personally define it as beginning gradually over the course of the pregnancy rather than at one single moment. Since the law has to pick one single moment, however, I would choose the earliest possible time at which a fetus has ever survived on its own outside the womb (20 weeks). That's a critical cutoff in my opinion because the fetus now has the ability live entirely independently, rather than being 100% dependent on the mother for all critical life functions.
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2004, 04:03:14 PM »

First of all let me say I'm Catholic and Pro-Life. 

I do not think that throwing people in jail is going to help matters. 
throwing doctors in jail, however, will.  Making medical abortions unavalible will certainly cut down on abortions.  True, you can make the argument that if it isn't medically available then people will do it themselves, at a great risk.  I do not believe that the majority of people getting abortions would do this though, and if you want to kill your own child more than you care about your own life, then I really don't know what to say to you as you are beyond reason.  You can also use this "keep it above the table and regulated" argument on just about any vile act.  Take prostitution for example.  In some places this argument has succeeded on it as well. 

Now for people going so far as partial-birth abortion I do think would be beneficial to throw away the key on them.  This practice is barbaric and discusting. 

I think that federal funding is about the worst thing we can do on the issue.  I do not see how this action would encourage responsibility in any way.  "Well, the government will pay to abort my fetus, so who cares if I have unprotected sex?"  Not to mention that 1 millionth of a penny of my tax dollars contributing to an abortion is far too much.  I absolutely refuse to pay for the sexual irresponsibility of others, no matter how poor and disadvantaged.

As to health concerns, I realize that it may come to the point where the birth could cause serious health complications.  In an attempt to save the life of the mother it could be forgivable to loose the child, if the mother should choose that route.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2004, 04:46:46 PM »

Abortion is the most DISGUSTING act in human history! Those "doctors" should feel ashamed to wake up in the mornings knowing what they do.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2004, 06:32:51 PM »

Abortion is the most DISGUSTING act in human history! Those "doctors" should feel ashamed to wake up in the mornings knowing what they do.

I guess they probablly become desensitized after a while, but either way they must be filled with shame.

"what do you do for a living", the boy asks his mother
"I kill babies", the mother responds

Seriously, it is probablly more humiliating than discusting to these people. I can't see why anyone would want to work their. Perhaps the pay is good but hell it is coming from our friggin tax money. If the mother wants to have an abortion, she should at least pay for it herself.
raggage

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2004, 09:02:40 PM »

Almost strongly pro-choice.  I basically take the Joe Hoeffel position.  I oppose partial birth abortion except for rape, life of the mother, and health of the mother.    Otherwise it's a woman's right.  I also favor federal funding as my next Congresswoman Allyson Schwartz does.

I completely agree with this position.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2004, 10:02:52 PM »

Pro-life. Rape/Incest/Life of the Mother exceptions, and for the health of the mother IF it is a real problem and not "oh, I have morning sickness".
Baggy Green
Spin Doctor
Rookie
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2004, 06:33:55 AM »

1st trimester yes; 2nd trimester no, excluding rape, incest or severe medical complications, third trimester, no. I don't like, but can cope with, abortion of an embryo. But once it's a fetus, it becomes a horrible deed, and unless a horrible deed caused it or a horrible occurance would happen without it, then it should be illegal.

I pretty much agree with that.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2004, 06:48:39 AM »

The argument "health of the mother" is almost an excuse with modern medical procedures. Many many ailments with a baby or the mother can be cured through surgery within the uterus.
Bugs

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2004, 10:21:52 AM »

I am pro life.  I believe a woman has the right to chose, but she needs to do it before she has sex.  If she doesn't want to be pregnant, it is easily avoided.  Next the argument usually goes to raape victims, and this is certainly beyond the woman's control.  However, two wrongs do not make a right. 

I do not accept that the elimination of poverty will eliminate abortion.  Maby righ women and young girls have abortions.  I feel the same about education.  Sexually active people know where babies come from.  If you're referring to education for those contemplating abortion being educated about how disgusting abortion is, that has deferred many women.  The sight of an aborted fetus is gruesome, but has made some women think twice.
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2004, 10:32:35 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Can someone explain how federal finding will help at all, this just plain doesn't make sense to me.  I think it promotes irresponsibility because it hedges the economic risk of paying for an abortion.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies