Your position on abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:33:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Your position on abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Poll
Question: Pro-life or Pro-choice
Strongly Pro-life
Pro-life
In the middle (or both for you Kerry fans)
Pro-choice
Strongly Pro-Choice
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your position on abortion  (Read 27186 times)
Cashcow

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2005, 08:57:11 PM »

Evidently, you're not taking much time for coherency here, because you're not making much sense to me.  Then again, I'm a moderator, so what do I know.

What is there to not understand about having opinions vs expressing them (or being opinionated)?
Cashcow

« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2005, 09:34:22 PM »

That post does express an opinion, but apparently it's not an opinion that is sufficiently "opinion-y" to you?

Essentially, yes. It's not saying anything, and although it may give the impression that you are consistently just and impartial, posts like that do not interest me. I learn nothing about the issue at hand, I learn nothing about your opinions and I learn nothing about your character.   

You must be logged in to read this quote.

NO! You are missing the point. These are two separate criticisms.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2005, 09:52:37 PM »

Legal in the first trimester, legal in rape, incest, and when the woman's life is at stake in the second, and just to save the woman's life in the third  -With laws on parental and partner notification and such.

Really, though, I think we need to focus on fighting the economic conditions that create the need for an abortion.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2005, 09:56:27 PM »

But you're right. I simply believe that it is more practical to explore the aftermath of every single issue, even after one has made up one's mind.
I suppose that this debate could be cast as a part of the larger idealism v. pragmatism debate.

Exactly Smiley
Of course (if you care to know my view) there is no such thing as "pragmatism" that is distinct from "idealism." Pragmatism claims to base itself on whatever is "best" for everybody--but this itself is a moral principle. It is accordingly a different form of idealism.

Therefore, the position that "women should be allowed to have abortions in the case of rape" is only a moral position, not (in my opinion) a "pragmatic" one.
Cashcow

« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2005, 10:11:43 PM »

But you're right. I simply believe that it is more practical to explore the aftermath of every single issue, even after one has made up one's mind.
I suppose that this debate could be cast as a part of the larger idealism v. pragmatism debate.

Exactly Smiley
Of course (if you care to know my view) there is no such thing as "pragmatism" that is distinct from "idealism." Pragmatism claims to base itself on whatever is "best" for everybody--but this itself is a moral principle. It is accordingly a different form of idealism.

Therefore, the position that "women should be allowed to have abortions in the case of rape" is only a moral position, not (in my opinion) a "pragmatic" one.

Clearly, I agree, and I don't see how one couldn't. Our views are relative; what is pragmatic to me may be idealistic to another, but surely many of our positions are based on common morals, and are considered pragmatic only because they are ordinary.

Alcon's abortion position on rape cases is unacceptable to me. I do realize, however, that I am not necessarily being practical in believing that.
Cashcow

« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2005, 10:16:31 PM »

I understand this criticism.  Frankly, though, I can apply the same to you - I had to go to page 18 of your posts to find any post longer than a few sentences that wasn't part of a word game.

If you had to do that, you're still missing the point. My posts may be brief, but they are clear and concise; yours generally are drawn out, garrulous, and dull. I can infer almost nothing from your post on Hillary Clinton. There are thousands more like that.

LOL!

If there's one thing I've never been accused of, it's being an attention whore. I guess you win that prize.

Uh huh.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #231 on: October 12, 2005, 10:26:30 PM »

Clearly, I agree, and I don't see how one couldn't. Our views are relative; what is pragmatic to me may be idealistic to another ...

Alcon's abortion position on rape cases is unacceptable to me. I do realize, however, that I am not necessarily being practical in believing that.
Of course, I completely agree here. You are, naturally, completely entitled to find any position unacceptable.
Cashcow

« Reply #232 on: October 12, 2005, 10:26:46 PM »

I'm sorry for ruining this thread.

You can delete this conversation. I will permit it. Wink
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #233 on: October 12, 2005, 10:50:20 PM »

I have made many logical reasons why abortions are morally wrong, but rape does avoid all of the circumstances I have made. I do sympathize with rape victims who become pregnant as they did not make a decision to do anything that could result in a pregnancy. But to those who do believe a child is alive at conception, what makes it ok to kill the unborn child regardless of the circumstances. And why should a child suffer for the crimes of his/her father?

Many conservatives do lack policies to help out those who carry a child to term who are not in the best economic position to do so. I would favor tax dollars on the state level going to help these people. There are also private charities willing to help out those in need. I also had a teacher who he and his wife were unable to have children. He was told there was a one to two year wait for adoptions.

If it weren't for the fact there was a possiblilty of getting the wrong person, I would have no problem with vigilante justice when it comes to dealing with rapists. And if it's someone you know personally where you know you got the right person, let the ***hole have what he deserves.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies