2004: Bush vs. Kerry, No 9/11 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:08:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004: Bush vs. Kerry, No 9/11 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2004: Bush vs. Kerry, No 9/11  (Read 2193 times)
dwkulcsar
Rookie
United States

« on: November 29, 2009, 08:47:12 PM »

I fight the premise that if 9/11 did not happen; Kerry would not be the Democrats choice. Bush's war on terror in a way distracted the economic situation. I don't think the economy would be much different, and a populist outcry over the effects of the tax-cuts would have seen a populist like Howard Dean or John Edwards become viable candidates for the general election.

Now without 9/11. I would predict that a populist candidate that could have framed the ever changing economy as being a bad thing for middle wage earners. Say, Howard Dean talks about his record as Governor and tells Ohioans about how globalization and rich tax cuts are bad for them.

This is assuming Dean is the Nominee. Kerry would have trouble showing his credentials as someone who did much. He is known for three things, being a Veteran, Senator, and rich. In a peacetime election his military service may not have been an actor in the decisions of voters, and his possible elitism would have been just as large a factor as it was in the real 2004 election.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies