All about yourself! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:02:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  All about yourself! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: All about yourself!  (Read 995240 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: October 21, 2004, 01:58:20 AM »

I noticed a lot of Lutheranism is probabily the biggest denomination here.

I a lot more papists, including myself, by my count.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 06:08:54 PM »

Race/ethnic compostion: Irish, German, and some would say a touch of Mexican

Are you sure you're not "black Irish"? Those were Irish that mixed with Spaniards when the Spanish Armada wrecked on the Irish coast.

Myth.  Inhabitants of Western Ireland have always had a prevalence for dark hair /light eyes and geneticists believe these are the original pre-celtic inhabitants of Ireland.  The Welsh have these traits even more than Western Irish- look at Catherine Zeta Jones and Tom Jones.  There might have been a few Spanish that made it to Irish shores but they did not significantly change genes.  Interestingly, the Irish share a lot of genetic markers with the Basques.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 12:46:09 AM »

States trust me it is a myth.  It is the probably the product of an overactive Irish imagination and love for the tall tale.  Inhabitants of Western Ireland do tend to have darker hair than E. Ireland but the complexion is usually pale and eyes light.  There are exceptions of course. 

http://www.darkfiber.com/blackirish

Many Irish had dark hair etc long before the Spanish Armada in 1588.  Genetic information points to this trait being from the original inhabitants of Ireland around 8000-9000 years ago long before the Celtic invasions.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 08:31:26 AM »

States trust me it is a myth.  It is the probably the product of an overactive Irish imagination and love for the tall tale.  Inhabitants of Western Ireland do tend to have darker hair than E. Ireland but the complexion is usually pale and eyes light.  There are exceptions of course. 

http://www.darkfiber.com/blackirish

Many Irish had dark hair etc long before the Spanish Armada in 1588.  Genetic information points to this trait being from the original inhabitants of Ireland around 8000-9000 years ago long before the Celtic invasions.

My wife is Black Irish and can trace her roots back to Spanish Ancestors who ended up in Ireland. Her family tree is researched back to around 660 AD.

She may be of Irish descent that happens to originally come from Spain but the common assertion that dark hair and other traits comes from the Armada is patently false.  Traits are seen in Paleolithic inhabitants and descendants  of Ireland and Wales.  Again look at Tom Jones or Catherine Zeta Jones who are Welsh.  No Armada or Spanish invasion there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies