All about yourself! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:51:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  All about yourself! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: All about yourself!  (Read 991413 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: January 07, 2013, 12:28:53 AM »
« edited: January 07, 2013, 12:31:26 AM by traininthedistance »

Ethnicity: WASP and Polack

Religion: Short answer- agnostic.  Long answer- the evidence indicates there probably isn't a God, but I understand the human need for worship and have even felt it from time to time.  Every few years or so I contemplate becoming a Quaker.

Place of Birth: I grew up right near the diner where Tony Soprano gets whacked to the strains of "Don't Stop Believing".

Current Location: deep in the middle of Brooklyn, recently moved from West Philly.

Favorite Music: Paul Simon, Spoon, Sufjan Stevens, Igor Stravinsky, Bela Bartok, John Adams, Radiohead, Beatles, The National, Johannes Brahms, Gabriel Kahane, etc.  Basically a smorgasbord of classical, classic rock, and indie-ish stuff.

Favorite Authors: Bill Watterson, Umberto Eco, Jane Jacobs, Don DeLillo, T.S. Eliot, William Carlos Williams, Matt Yglesias

Favorite Sports Team: New York Giants.  Wide Right was one of my first-ever memories... and Ray Handley was one of my second-ever.

Favorite Presidents: Teddy Roosevelt, John Quincy Adams, Jimmy Carter (obviously the Washington/Lincoln/FDR trio was better than those three, but that's a boring answer).

Favorite Politicians: Rush Holt, John Hickenlooper, Earl Blumenauer, Michael Bloomberg, Antonio Villariagosa, Frank Lautenberg, Tammy Baldwin

Political Orientation: In UK terms, I'd preferably be a Lib Dem with some Green leanings.  Though who am I kidding, Duverger's Law would force me to vote Labour.  Strong liberal on the environment and social issues, monetary dove, technocratic, more centrist on labor and foreign policy but even there a smidge left of the USA average.  My technocratic streak occasionally leads to iconoclasms where I support libertarian methods for green ends (such as taking an ax to things like anti-density zoning regulations and the mortgage interest deduction), but as an overall philosophy libertarianism is naive and dangerous hogwash.

Other interests/hobbies: public transportation, maps, art, Modernism, useless trivia, cocktail snobbery, strategy boardgames

In conclusion, I am basically the perfect target audience for this thing.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »

Nice!  Quizbowl basically was my life back when I was in high school and college.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 11:56:28 PM »

I post on Atlas.  You think I have any illusions otherwise? Tongue
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 08:06:45 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2015, 08:14:42 PM by traininthedistance »

Favorite Politicians (contemporary):  Joe Manchin, John Kasich, Brian Sandoval, Scott Walker, Andrew Cuomo, Justin Amash, Rand Paul, Heidi Heitkamp........quite the smorgasboard, I know. Tongue

You should probably leave or never mention that again.

Otherwise, most of that other stuff should allow you to fit right in.

What's so bad about Cuomo?  He seems like a pretty reasonable, moderate, pro-business Democrat.

As one of the leading lights of the Atlas Cuomo Hate Brigade, let me just go on record as saying that I'm far more disturbed that you're a fan of the Vikings and the Packers.  I mean, either one is fine but both is just wrong.

But, to answer your question for serious, in my case it's because my particular area of expertise as it were is public transit and other urban infrastructure-type things, and my sense is that Cuomo has shown a special disregard for best practices there (e.g. throwing away years of planning process to push an unnecessarily large, transit-free, fiscally irresponsible Tappan Zee replacement; arranging shiny photo-ops for "kick the can down the road" MTA union contracts all the while raiding from their balance sheet and preventing discussion about sustainable revenue sources, etc.).  Basically, if he was really a "good government" moderate I'd actually be totally fine with that even if I'd be to his left.  But he's pretty obviously a bad government moderate on some of the issues where I'm actually informed and qualified enough to pass judgment.  

That's admittedly an idiosyncratic reason, more people will probably cite his picking a fight with the teacher's unions or something.  That and collaborating with Republicans to perpetuate a gross gerrymander in the State Senate, which is... well... yet another shining example of that "bad government" moderation. Tongue

Sorry for the mini-firehose of polemic there.  Welcome to Atlas!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies