All about yourself! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:52:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  All about yourself! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: All about yourself!  (Read 993408 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: October 22, 2004, 12:40:07 PM »

States trust me it is a myth.  It is the probably the product of an overactive Irish imagination and love for the tall tale.  Inhabitants of Western Ireland do tend to have darker hair than E. Ireland but the complexion is usually pale and eyes light.  There are exceptions of course. 

http://www.darkfiber.com/blackirish

Many Irish had dark hair etc long before the Spanish Armada in 1588.  Genetic information points to this trait being from the original inhabitants of Ireland around 8000-9000 years ago long before the Celtic invasions.

My wife is Black Irish and can trace her roots back to Spanish Ancestors who ended up in Ireland. Her family tree is researched back to around 660 AD.

She may be of Irish descent that happens to originally come from Spain but the common assertion that dark hair and other traits comes from the Armada is patently false.  Traits are seen in Paleolithic inhabitants and descendants  of Ireland and Wales.  Again look at Tom Jones or Catherine Zeta Jones who are Welsh.  No Armada or Spanish invasion there.

According to surveys done by various Welsh Governmental offices and stuff, the stereotype of people in Wales (according to people in England) is:

"A land of short dark men singing hymns in the shadow of slag heaps"

This was the case in the '50's as well. Probably before then.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 05:50:52 PM »

Update...

Age: Won't be specific. I can vote. That's all I'll say for now...
Race/ethnic compostion: Decided to do a bit of looking into this; a mix of Welsh, [Northern] English and French (Huguenot; probably on more than one branch as well interestingly enough). One great-grandmother had what looks like it could be an Irish name; I'm going to follow that up at some point.
Religion: Methodist basically. Will happily attend pretty much any other Nonconformist service (Baptist, United Reform etc) and Low Church Anglican services.
Height: About 6' 1'' IIRC
Weight: Mind yer own business
Location: Near Telford, Shropshire [West Midlands]. Not for all that much longer though (from autumn will be in either Wales or Yorkshire).
Where you were born: See; "Weight"
Person you most admire: Jesus. A lot of other people (Keir Hardie and so on).
Favorite Band: N/A. If the question is extended to "music" then I like a lot of folkish and choral things. Developed a taste for mad fiddle music of all kinds recently as well.
Favorite President: In what way? FDR on balance, but certain aspects of Truman and both Johnson's are kinda neat.
Favorite Sports team: Football is Sunderland (yes, yes... I know, I know...) and any side playing against Chelsea or Manchester United... Rugby League is Bradford, Rugby Union is Llanelli or Bedwas (I don't follow any non-Welsh Rugby Union as a rule), Cricket is three sides (Durham, Glamorgan, Northants) and any side playing against Surrey...
Your other interests: Long, long list...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 04:40:54 PM »

Race/ethnic compostion: As far as I'm aware and not going back more than a thousand or so years; English, Welsh, French (Huguenot). In certain respects regional stuff is more important though.

Religion: Methodist

Height: Mind thee owyn busyness

Weight: Mind thee owyn busyness

Location: Shropshire, U.K (probably not for that much longer).

Where you were born: Same town as Charles Darwin. Same side of the Welsh Bridge as well.

Person you most admire: Jesus (nice standard answer there Smiley). Quite a lot of other people as well o/c.

Favorite Band/Artist: None really

Favorite Presidents: In terms of policies and etc, FDR really. In terms of personality and so on, Truman and the Two Johnson's. My favourite U.S politician of the past few decades is Tip O'Neill o/c.

Favorite Sports team: Sunderland AFC...

Your other interests: Too many to list

Favorite ice-cream: not so much a flavour, as the sort you get in some Welsh seaside towns.

Favorite tv show: I don't watch a lot of telly.

Favorite color: Certain shades of green

Do you live by yourself: Mind thee owyn busyness

Do you have any siblings? Mind thee owyn busyness (but yes).

Are you married? No

What year did you join Atlas? A long time ago now...

PoliticsMatch quiz score:

Personal Score  31%   
Economic Score  22% 

Based on the above score, I am a Moderate Populist .
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 08:11:57 PM »

Seriously?  Given your maturity level, I assumed I was talking to a grown man. 

Well I do have a beard Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 06:31:26 PM »

Whereabout's in Sydney?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 06:16:54 PM »

Age: Under... er... um... under 25. Yes. That should do.
Race/ethnic compostion: Welsh/English. Stick "British" on any forms covering this sort of thing as they never allow multiple choices. Going back a long way quite a bit of French. And going back not very far at all, something else that I don't actually know.
Religion: Christian. Protestant. Methodist. In that order.
Height: Mindeth thine own business
Weight: '' ''
Occupation: Student, do various odd jobs and stuff occasionally.
Party of Choice: Labour, Co-op.
Favorite President: LBJ, on balance.
Favorite Sports team: Sunderland AFC
Favorite Book: Unable to answer the question properly, but I'll go with a book that I own that contains a collection of essays, letters, columns and so on written by George Orwell.
Favorite Movie: depends what you mean by "favourite". I shall feign pretentiousness and go with A Short Film About Killing.
Favorite Show: probably Yes Minister but it was made so long ago, does it count? I don't own a TV and when I'm somewhere that has one, I don't watch it often...
Favorite person on Atlas: I like a lot of people here. At the very top would some fellow from the UP some fellow from Frankfurt and some fellow who is, IIRC, currently in Reading. I would like to add some fellow from Albuquerque to this but he doesn't post here anymore.
Least Favorite person on Atlas: the people on my ignore list
Favorite color: green, red. And some other random shades of other colours.
Your other interests: can't be bothered to list them.
Do you live by yourself: yes
Do you have any siblings? yes
Are you married? no
What year did you join Atlas? 2003...
What are you listening to now? Job, a masque for dancing
Do you have any nieces, nephews? no
Who's your favorite 2008 candidate from the 2 major parties? don't have one
What city did you grow up in? I didn't. I spent most of my childhood a few miles down the road from Much Wenlock.
Have you ever been attracted to someone of the same sex? not that I can remember
If you could pick your own nationality, what nationality would you pick? no idea
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 05:35:38 PM »

Favorite Sports teams: Newcastle United (football (soccer))

Oh, I am sorry Sad

(Grin)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 05:38:06 PM »

Favorite Sports teams: Newcastle United (football (soccer))

Oh, I am sorry Sad

(Grin)

I should add that I'm a Sunderland fan. Feel free to repeat the above remark about being "sorry". Grin
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 06:26:31 PM »

I didn't realise Sunderland had fans!!

Grin

You must be logged in to read this quote.

KKK, eh? How appropriate!!!111 Grin
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:06:09 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2008, 09:07:49 PM by Sibboleth »

Not done this for a while. Meh.

Race/ethnic composition: broadly speaking, Welsh and English. But, actually, it's much more complicated than that. And many surprisingly recent details are unknown.
Religion: Prod
Height: taller than I used to be
Weight: lighter than I used to be
Party of Choice: In the U.K; Labour, Co-op Party. Generally I habitually support whatever the SI party is unless there's a very good reason not to do so. I might be a hack, but I'm an old fashioned hack, damn it.
Favorite President: LBJ
Favorite Sports team: Sunderland AFC
Favorite Book: impossible to answer that; there are too many.
Favorite Movies: probably Network. If made-for-telly stuff counts, then some of Dennis Potter's stuff, Pennies From Heaven especially. Of course, they made a "proper" film of that later, but I've never seen it.
Favorite Show: Yes Minister, maybe.
Favorite persons on Atlas: quite a few people. I'll be cliche-cryptic and say that They Know Who They Are. Which might not be true.
Least Favorite person on Atlas: dunno. changes with the seasons and so on, really.
Favorite color: certain shades of green, certain shades of red, interesting greys and earth colours too, oddly enough.
Your other interests: my work, reading, maps, walking, doodling, listening to music, etc
Do you live by yourself: Yes
Do you have any siblings? Yes. Two.
Are you married? No.
What year did you join Atlas? 2003
What are you listening to now? Shostakovich; Violin Concerto no. 2
Do you have any nieces, nephews? No.
Who's your favorite 2008 candidate from the 2 major parties? bleh. Prefer Obama to McCain, but would be lying if I said that I like either.
What city did you grow up in? I didn't. I spent most of my childhood in or near the Liberty of Great Wenlock. But now I live in a city with a population smaller than the town I was born in. lol.
Have you ever been attracted to someone of the same sex? Not as far as I know
If you could pick your own nationality, what nationality would you pick? I don't know.
Post the most recent picture of yourself here: No. I am informed that in the most recent photo of me, I look like a Columbian drug dealer. Which is a change from omgmuslimterrist, I guess.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 09:31:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I will pray for you my child, for you know not what you do.

Oh, but I do. I do Grin

Favourite is perhaps the wrong word though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 07:44:06 AM »

Post the most recent picture of yourself here: No. I am informed that in the most recent photo of me, I look like a Columbian drug dealer. Which is a change from omgmuslimterrist, I guess.

Tongue

Your beard wasn't long enough.

I've never posted a photo here of my beard at its longest a few years back. Actually, I'm not sure if there's a photo of it. Which is a shame.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 02:24:59 PM »

Which MPP?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 08:40:16 PM »

Actually Sensei, I hate your guts and always have. I long for the day, and it is surely not far away, when I shall drive an eight inch screwdriver through your eyes as you are tied to a lamp-post and as your screams fill the night air. And with every scream, I shall drive the screwdriver in again. And again. And again. And again. While also setting fire to your socks. And eating your hamster in front of you (it shall be your last sight on this Earth), and, perhaps, forcing you to eat dog shit, though I fear that the last item on my list of hate may be a little excessive.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 07:55:39 AM »

Not quite the first - I think we had one a few years ago. Probably more like four, five years ago, I'm not good with dates.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 03:26:48 PM »

'Freedom Fighter', which means 'I approve' (roughly). The forum has its own dialect. 'Horrible Person' (or 'HP') is its opposite.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 03:44:21 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 08:20:28 PM »

Hate to break it to you but castrati voices are so massively out of favour (because of the obvious moral implications) that you will not be able to sing before the Pope and all this will be in vain.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies