What caused Ford's late charge vs Carter in 1976?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:51:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  What caused Ford's late charge vs Carter in 1976?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What caused Ford's late charge vs Carter in 1976?  (Read 5120 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 02:47:21 AM »

In a way, Ford's gaffe can be interpreted in two ways; The conventional way in which he didn't really know what the hell he was talking about, (He did, in fact know what he was talking about), or in the way that Ford probably thought, that by saying this, he can contest Eastern Europe and try to show American "interests" and "power" in a Soviet-dominated region.

Not sure exactly what he meant by it, but the former is certainly less likely.

I think Ford himself said that when he made that gaffe, he meant that the Soveit Union will never crush and dominate the spirits of Eastern Europeans and will dever destroy their desires for freedom and liberty. Even though I agree that without this gaffe, Ford might have very well won the election (although maybe not the PV).
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 02:58:27 AM »

In a way, Ford's gaffe can be interpreted in two ways; The conventional way in which he didn't really know what the hell he was talking about, (He did, in fact know what he was talking about), or in the way that Ford probably thought, that by saying this, he can contest Eastern Europe and try to show American "interests" and "power" in a Soviet-dominated region.

Not sure exactly what he meant by it, but the former is certainly less likely.

I think Ford himself said that when he made that gaffe, he meant that the Soveit Union will never crush and dominate the spirits of Eastern Europeans and will dever destroy their desires for freedom and liberty. Even though I agree that without this gaffe, Ford might have very well won the election (although maybe not the PV).

Oh, really? I have never heard his response to it. I'll go look that up now.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies