What could force the Parties to switch positions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:31:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What could force the Parties to switch positions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What could force the Parties to switch positions?  (Read 3764 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2009, 02:20:35 AM »

That's a pretty vague question, so I'll leave it in order to give you room to maneuver. But if you didn't understand the question at all - what sequence of events, starting today, could cause the Republican Party to move to the left of the Democrats (on either social or economic issues, or both), or cause the Democrats to revert to being the rightist Party of southern agrarianism?

This can be a "partial repositioning" on either social or economic issues, or a full repositioning on both, at your discretion. Map out a sequence of events that leads to it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »

It won't happen anytime soon.  We need a lengthy period in which one party is dominant and the other is not and thus willing to make a significant change in what it stands for, rather than simply reupholstering and rearranging the old furniture on their platforms.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 04:23:21 PM »

If the Democrats work harder to be the true party of the people, like FDR or William Jennings Bryan.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 07:44:23 PM »

I predict the Democrats will go Socially Liberal, Fiscally Liberal.

And I predict the Republicans to go Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 09:47:27 PM »

Can't happen in the next few generations. The Rust Belt, Rockies, and South are all uber religious, even when they vary on economics.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 10:30:57 PM »

Can't happen in the next few generations. The Rust Belt, Rockies, and South are all uber religious, even when they vary on economics.

Yeah; It's more of a long term idea, like in the 2080s or 2090s.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 10:35:08 PM »

Yeah; It's more of a long term idea, like in the 2080s or 2090s.

By then "liberal" will have a different meaning. One aprty will have to be socially conservative still.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 05:37:42 PM »

Aren't Democrats already fiscally and socially liberal? I doubt both parties will become social liberals. There will always be social conservatives; it's the definition of conservative and liberal that change.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 05:51:50 PM »

Aren't Democrats already fiscally and socially liberal? I doubt both parties will become social liberals. There will always be social conservatives; it's the definition of conservative and liberal that change.

Well yes, Democrats are already socially liberal and fiscally liberal, but I'm predicting they will become even more fiscally liberal. I also think that they will absorb a lot of socially conservative Hispanic voters, and that will make their social views a bit more centrist.

MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 10:30:47 PM »

Well then...what party is fiscally liberal and socially conservative? Democrats? No! Republicans? No!  WHO?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 10:46:37 PM »

Well then...what party is fiscally liberal and socially conservative? Democrats? No! Republicans? No!  WHO?

Republicans.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 10:32:11 PM »

Republicans.
Nah, majority of Republicans are fiscally/socially conserative or fiscally consersative & socially moderate.
My guess is statist/populist people are fiscally liberal and socially conservative.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 10:41:52 PM »

Republicans.
Nah, majority of Republicans are fiscally/socially conserative or fiscally consersative & socially moderate.
My guess is statist/populist people are fiscally liberal and socially conservative.

Yeah, they're fiscally conservative, given that liberalism is the status quo.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 07:07:26 AM »

Republicans.

The way they spent under the Bush administration, you would think that... Up until the Obama administration started money, that is!

To answer the OP, it will happen when the Democratic and/or Republican coalitions find themselves disagreeing more than agreeing.  The Dems have an easier time of it, given that their constituencies mostly just want money thrown at them.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »

Republicans.

The way they spent under the Bush administration, you would think that... Up until the Obama administration started money, that is!

What? The Republicans are certainly fiscally liberal. Don't you believe in free markets? If so, then you're one, too.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 02:38:09 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2009, 02:39:41 PM by phknrocket1k »

Social conservatism of non-whites.

It was after all the colored Obama supporters who were decisive in getting Prop 8 to pass.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 10:06:26 PM »

Social conservatism of non-whites.

It was after all the colored Obama supporters who were decisive in getting Prop 8 to pass.

This plus Democratic efforts to reach out to "Reagan Democrats", blue collar workers with a populist bent. They would have to take it to the extreme, but under certain conditions I bet it could happen, though very unlikely.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 05:21:33 PM »

I predict that in the future the Republicans will move more towards libertarianism in an attempt to win young and ethnic minority voters.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 10:22:09 PM »

I predict that in the future the Republicans will move more towards libertarianism in an attempt to win young and ethnic minority voters.

I doubt it. In fact, I believe the Republicans move towards populism to win minority votes. The minorities of this nation are overwhelmingly populist in political bent.
rebeltarian
rebel_libertarian

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 02:32:31 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2009, 02:35:48 PM by rebeltarian »

Actually, out here in California, there's a lot of fiscally conservative minorities, particularly asian americans.  Hispanics are also getting more economically transient, but remain largely socially conservative.  Asians tend to vary on social views.

Republicans have talked for years about reaching out to minorites with social conservatism and 3rd-way economics and, for a while, figures like George W Bush and John McCain were able to make some inroads with hispanics.  Now, hispanics and most other minorities have backed Obama and the strict fiscal conservative tea-partiers and townhallers seem to be re-shaping/re-charging a "Republican base".  Republicans could probably win a lot of young minorities with a fiscally conservative, socially moderate/liberal platform, free of the nativism that has kept such diverse voters away in the past.   

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 12:48:29 AM »

Nativism is as integral for the teabaggers as anything else.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 09:01:55 PM »

"Teabaggers" range in that sort of thing.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 04:38:56 PM »

Actually, out here in California, there's a lot of fiscally conservative minorities, particularly asian americans.  Hispanics are also getting more economically transient, but remain largely socially conservative.  Asians tend to vary on social views.

Republicans have talked for years about reaching out to minorites with social conservatism and 3rd-way economics and, for a while, figures like George W Bush and John McCain were able to make some inroads with hispanics.  Now, hispanics and most other minorities have backed Obama and the strict fiscal conservative tea-partiers and townhallers seem to be re-shaping/re-charging a "Republican base".  Republicans could probably win a lot of young minorities with a fiscally conservative, socially moderate/liberal platform, free of the nativism that has kept such diverse voters away in the past.   

Asking the teabag set to give up nativism is like asking snakes to give up carnivory.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies