Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:09:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377585 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« on: September 28, 2009, 01:39:09 PM »

Smid for Speaker/Preisding Officer!
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 02:09:43 AM »

Shouldn't we be passing enabling legislation before selecting a Speaker? 
-------
Here's what Representative Kalwejt's proposed President pro tempore amendment said (I've replaced "President pro tempore" with "Speaker" and cleaned up some of the language):

Northeast Assembly Speaker Act

1. The Northeast Assembly shall elect a Speaker from among its members at the start of each new Northeast Assembly term.
2. The Speaker shall assume the role of presiding officer of the Northeast Assembly whenever the Lieutenant Governor publicly confirms he will be absent from the Northeast Assembly or the Lieutenant Governor otherwise publicly designates the Speaker to this role for a specified period.
3. The Speaker shall serve until the end of the Northeast Assembly term, unless the Speaker is removed or resigns from the office of the Speaker.
4. The Speaker may be removed from office by a majority vote of all members of the Northeast Assembly.
5. If the office of the Speaker is vacant for any reason, the Northeast Assembly shall elect a new Speaker from among its members as soon as possible.
---------
Question: Do we want the Speaker to be elected by a clear majority or is a plurality vote okay?  Or do we want some sort of proportional voting?

Plurality.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »

Aye
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:42:29 PM »

Nominate Smid for Speaker
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 03:51:24 PM »

Mr. President, I'd like to ask a question of formal nature.

Is this a bill, which would require gubernatorial signature? If so, we obviously cannot chose Speaker right now.

Or is this just a part of internat Assembly rule?

WE make our own rules in this chamber
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 04:25:22 PM »

Votes open for a minimum of 24 hours.
Ability to change vote only until the final tally.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 04:31:03 PM »

Votes open for a minimum of 24 hours.
Ability to change vote only until the final tally.

Except for emergency action, perhaps?  The Senate seems to have a rule allowing shorter votes for emergency bills.

We can do that if it is felt to be necessary.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »

AYE
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2009, 07:42:01 PM by Northeast Representative Alexander Hamilton »

I think that after election of the Speaker, we should consider including the office to the order of succession and order of precedence alike.

Unnecessary. We simply elect a new one if Smid resigns
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 07:45:55 PM »

Governor-Lt. Governor-CJO

We don't need to change it
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 12:50:28 AM »

Smid is officially Speaker of the Northeast Assembly!
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 01:14:31 AM »

I've skimmed the Senate's complex rules regarding debate and voting procedures - the often-amended OSPR.   Yikes! 

I don't think a regional Assembly needs a Standing Order that is quite that complex.  In fact, I can't find any equivalent resolution passed by the Mideast Assembly.  Nevertheless, I think we should enact some sort of Standing Order on Assembly Procedure (SOAP), though - at a minimum, limiting the number of bills that can be on the floor at one time (1? 2? 3?), the order in which they shall be taken up (chronologically in the order proposed?  Lt. Governor's discretion?), and specifying a period for debate (72 hours?) and a voting period (24 hours?).   Otherwise, there may be chaos going forward.

I can accept all of these standards.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 03:08:19 PM »

I like the SOAP, cinyc.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 12:06:36 AM »

Cinyc - exceptionally well done on these Standing Orders! Sensational work!

How about "invites the sponsor to move or moves if the sponsor is a concerned citizen or the Governor" rather than "introduces"? That leaves the Lt Gov in charge of ordering the introduction of Bills to the House, but leaves him/her bound by the SOAP - preventing them from potentially vetoing a Bill by refusing to introduce it?

What happens if a sponsor is absent and doesn't move it ASAP?  Should we have a time limit before the Lt. Gov moves on to the next bill?  Or should we just let the Lt. Gov place it on the floor?

How about whoever gets to it first so that we can proceed as quickly as possible?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 12:49:56 AM »

How about "invites the sponsor to move or moves if the sponsor is a concerned citizen or the Governor" rather than "introduces"? That leaves the Lt Gov in charge of ordering the introduction of Bills to the House, but leaves him/her bound by the SOAP - preventing them from potentially vetoing a Bill by refusing to introduce it?

We could just write that someone who introduces a bill shall do it in both the threads immediately. Could it work ? Wink

No. We don't want to clutter the floor too much.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 12:54:35 AM »

We could just write that someone who introduces a bill shall do it in both the threads immediately. Could it work ? Wink

No. We don't want to clutter the floor too much.

Any Rep has the right to introduce bills. This right should be fully guaranteed.

No
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 01:16:10 AM »

Why have a second thread? If legislation is proposed the Speaker of President can place it on a queue with links that can be reposted intermittently with the pending order of business. That way things are kept orderly, but you don't clog the entire board. Between the Mideast and Northeast legislatures, along with member offices, you are looking at 11 threads! No reason to add another.

There should be a regional government board for all the regional governments to post on.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 01:19:59 PM »

Can we vote?

Aye
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 12:55:02 AM »

When do my colleagues wish to begin debating "real" legislation?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 01:49:35 AM »

When do my colleagues wish to begin debating "real" legislation?

In absence of a legislation introduction thread, I'll post this here.

Bipartisan Safe Sex Education Bill

Section A: Exemptions

1.   This act only applies to public high schools (grades 9/10-12)
2.   This act does not apply to schools with less than 400 enrolled students.
3.   This requirements included in this act take effect starting with the class of 2015.

Section B: Safe Sex Education Requirements

1.   Completion of at least one semester of sexual health is required for all high school students in order to graduate.
2.   The course must teach about methods of contraception, including condoms and birth-control pills, as well as proper usage of said methods.
3.   The course must teach that abstinence is the safest way to avoid venereal diseases and unwanted pregnancies.
4.   The course must teach sexual anatomy, including the functions of male and female reproductive organs.
5.   The course must teach the common indicators of breast cancer and prostate cancer, as well as how to check the body for irregularities that are common indicators.

Section C: Sexually Transmitted Disease Prevention Education Requirements

1.   The course must teach how HIV/AIDS is contracted, the effects of HIV/AIDS, and how to best avoid HIV/AIDS.
2.   The course must also cover herpes, chlamydia, syphilis, hepatitis, and human papilloma virus (HPV).
3.   The course must provide a list of local clinics that provide testing for STDs.

Section D: Pregnancy Education Requirements

1.   The course must teach the developmental process of the pregnancy, including zygotes, embryos, and fetuses.
2.   The course must teach that adoption and abortion are both options for unwanted pregnancies.
3.   The course must provide a list of pregnancy help clinics that provide counseling and information regarding how to handle being pregnant.
4.   All women under the age of 18 seeking the termination of a pregnancy are required to attend a 90 minute counseling session that covers the actual procedure, the risk involved, how to handle an abortion and maintain mental and physical health, and alternative options to abortion such as adoption.

Section E: Privacy Requirements

1.   The course must respect the students’ right to privacy.
2.   Students must NOT be pressured into answering questions they are uncomfortable with.
3.   Teachers are expected and required not to reveal any private details from private conversations related to the course material.

Section F: Clarification

1.     This act replaces all existing overlapping policy in the Northeast region as soon as it takes effect.

Sponsors:
Rep. Hamilton and Rep. Kalwejt
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 05:40:08 AM »

I think the bill is a good mandate for our youth. Teenagers often make poor decisions, especially regarding sex, and I think this mandate will demonstrate the seriousness of the issue. We must work to educate, not pressure, but teach with good faith, our youth about the risks that come along with sex. This bill aims to prevent sexually transmitted diseases and encourage frequent testing, reduce abortions and teen pregnancies, encourage abstinence without forcing it, and overall teaching our youth how to keep their bodies healthy and safe. It also seeks to offer information about where teenagers can go for help- local clinics, etc.

There may be some "controversial" provisions but there is nothing in this bill that is extreme or anti-religious. This is a bipartisan development that reaches across the aisle to address concerns shared by Northeasterners of all ideologies- teen pregnancy, STD prevention, breast/prostate cancer, contraception, and the recently explosive issue-- abortion. But these issues are considered in manner that is essentially nonideological and seeks to do nothing more than educate and protect Northeastern citizens and minimize risk for our children.

I urge my colleagues to consider and eventually support this bill. I now will yield to cosponsor Rep. Kalwejt. Smiley
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 03:32:39 PM »

I can't support this bill without a right for parents with religious objections to opt out of all or a portion of this class.  Not every family with strong religious convictions can afford to send their children to private schools.  They should not be punished by having their children forced to sit through classes that teach methods of birth control other than abstinence.

Anyone has the right to keep their opinion and beliefs, but anyone should be given the information to make their choice. Parents haven't the right to keep their children in ignocance for religious reasons.

Agreed. We exempted private schools but there is no reason people with strong religious convictions should be objecting to this. I mean, they obviously created the kid in the first place so they're having sex. Their kids also need to know how to approach sex safely and intelligently.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 03:34:29 PM »

First: Motion to strike section A, subsection 2 in its entirity.

There's no need to limit this to schools with 401+ students.  If anything, it's the rural populations that need access to this information even more.

Second: Motion to strike section A, subsection 3 in its entirity, and replace it with:
2. The requirements included in this act take effect with the school year starting September 2011.

Certainly, districts will need to create a curriculum and text book publishers will need time to create materials to conform to the requirements of this act.  Once in place, there's no need to exclude people in the class of 2014, 13, and 12.

Motion to amend by insertion as Section B.6:
6. The course must address the issue of homosexuality and concerns specific to that portion of the student population, such as how same-sex partners can limit the risk of transmission of sexually transmitted disease, "coming out," and sexual discrimination.

Section B.5, motion to amend:
5.   The course must teach the common indicators of breast cancer, prostate cancer, and testicular cancer, as well as how to check the body for irregularities that are common indicators.

Testicular cancer is a far greater risk to this age population, and can be detected much easier via self-examination.

Hmm, when you try to be reasonable you actually are pretty good at this. My respect for you grew immeasurably from that one post.

All other accepted as friendly.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »

I can't support this bill without a right for parents with religious objections to opt out of all or a portion of this class.  Not every family with strong religious convictions can afford to send their children to private schools.  They should not be punished by having their children forced to sit through classes that teach methods of birth control other than abstinence.

Anyone has the right to keep their opinion and beliefs, but anyone should be given the information to make their choice. Parents haven't the right to keep their children in ignocance for religious reasons.

Agreed. We exempted private schools but there is no reason people with strong religious convictions should be objecting to this. I mean, they obviously created the kid in the first place so they're having sex. Their kids also need to know how to approach sex safely and intelligently.

Christian teaching on birth control and sex outside of marriage differs from what you'd propose students be required to be lectured about in school.  Parents should have the ultimate authority on their childrens' moral education, not the state.  Therefore, I simply can't support this bill.

This bill doesn't impose morals on students. It merely teaches techniques of safety and protection of health and life changing consequences. Christians surely don't more teen pregnancies and abortions than would happen with this bill in effect, do they?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 05:11:53 PM »

I move to amend the bill as follows (even though it will be viewed as unfriendly and be put to a vote):

Freedom of Conscience Amendment

Section B(1) shall be amended as follows:
1.  Except as provided in subsection B(6), completion of at least one semester of sexual health is required for all high school students in order to graduate.

A new Section B(6) shall be added:
6.  Before the beginning of the relevant semester, every school shall send a permission slip to parents or guardians of children who would otherwise be enrolled in sexual health class.  A parent or guardian shall be entitled to remove their child from all or any portion of a sexual health class, specifically including any portion of that class teaching methods of contraception, masturbation or homosexuality.   No school shall take any action against a student whose parent opts out of enrolling their child in all or any portion of a sexual health class, nor shall that student's grade, grade-point average, or ability to graduate be affected.

I know that this amendment will not have enough support to pass but go ahead and vote.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies