Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:48:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377599 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 30, 2009, 01:25:42 PM »

This is moving along nicely. I'll hopefully get the Northeast regional report up this week. Smiley Good job everyone.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:14:39 AM »

Why have a second thread? If legislation is proposed the Speaker of President can place it on a queue with links that can be reposted intermittently with the pending order of business. That way things are kept orderly, but you don't clog the entire board. Between the Mideast and Northeast legislatures, along with member offices, you are looking at 11 threads! No reason to add another.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:30:29 AM »

Why have a second thread? If legislation is proposed the Speaker of President can place it on a queue with links that can be reposted intermittently with the pending order of business. That way things are kept orderly, but you don't clog the entire board. Between the Mideast and Northeast legislatures, along with member offices, you are looking at 11 threads! No reason to add another.

The reason for a separate proposed legislation thread is so that everyone knows where to find all proposed NE legislation and can easily figure out what should be up next should the Lt. Governor/Speaker try to play games with the agenda.  Links are only as good as the person who maintains them, and proposing legislation in the NE Assembly floor thread would clutter this thread and could lead to confusion as to which bill is actually being debated at any given time.

We're not asking for much.

Just making sure you realize that 3 ME assemblymen threads + ME Assembly + NE Assembly + NE Assembly Legislation + 6 NE assemblymen = 12 threads. The first page of this board can hold thirteen non-stickied threads.

Perhaps a regional government sub-board will soon be necessary. A thought for the mods to bring up to Dave perhaps. If one more region passes a legislature it will definitely be needed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 03:19:16 PM »

First: Motion to strike section A, subsection 2 in its entirity.

There's no need to limit this to schools with 401+ students.  If anything, it's the rural populations that need access to this information even more.

Second: Motion to strike section A, subsection 3 in its entirity, and replace it with:
2. The requirements included in this act take effect with the school year starting September 2011.

Certainly, districts will need to create a curriculum and text book publishers will need time to create materials to conform to the requirements of this act.  Once in place, there's no need to exclude people in the class of 2014, 13, and 12.

Motion to amend by insertion as Section B.6:
6. The course must address the issue of homosexuality and concerns specific to that portion of the student population, such as how same-sex partners can limit the risk of transmission of sexually transmitted disease, "coming out," and sexual discrimination.

Section B.5, motion to amend:
5.   The course must teach the common indicators of breast cancer, prostate cancer, and testicular cancer, as well as how to check the body for irregularities that are common indicators.

Testicular cancer is a far greater risk to this age population, and can be detected much easier via self-examination.

Hmm, when you try to be reasonable you actually are pretty good at this. My respect for you grew immeasurably from that one post.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 11:51:03 PM »

Curious bystander, what is the purpose of having a Speaker if the Lt. Governor is doing all the jobs of the Speaker?

Forgive me if I missed something, as I have been quite busy and haven't had the opportunity to look over the SOAP guidelines. Was the Speaker eliminated in favor of the President of the Assembly?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 11:56:33 PM »

Curious bystander, what is the purpose of having a Speaker if the Lt. Governor is doing all the jobs of the Speaker?

Forgive me if I missed something, as I have been quite busy and haven't had the opportunity to look over the SOAP guidelines. Was the Speaker eliminated in favor of the President of the Assembly?

The Lt. Governor usually presides over the Senate, but the Speaker takes over when the Lt. Governor publicly states he is unavailable.   

Presiding over the Senate (and casting tie votes) gives the Lt. Governor something to do.  His other Constitutional duties are fairly slim - pretty much just sitting around waiting for the Governor to resign.

Thanks for clearing that up and I agree with the rationale.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 08:06:23 PM »

This is why the Mideast has no SOAP. There is more debate on what it means than on actual legislation.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 12:33:43 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2009, 12:36:26 AM by GM Purple State »

This is great! An assembly totally revived the region. Purple State, I hope you're paying attention to this.

As though I had nothing to do with this. Wink

I was always here watching and providing private pointers where needed. To quote one of the great animated shows of our generation, "If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all."
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 12:41:23 AM »

It should. It is a law in its own right as well.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 12:05:05 AM »

After electing a Speaker, I would advise this body: a) pass some sort of tax cuts and then b) focus solely on amendments to fix the mess that is the Northeast Constitution.

Small, region-oriented legislation can wait. It is most important to create some sort of stability and legal structure that the region can abide by to avoid confusion.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 11:28:36 PM »

Love mod review. Always makes me laugh.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 12:55:25 AM »

It's a procedural vote which is carried on voices alone. It's like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp_kwUt7awo (at the 1:20 mark or thereabouts). No one votes no, so proceding continue.

Except that one jackass.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 11:21:11 PM »

Does this Assembly have a way of expelling members?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 01:47:49 AM »

We do have the power of impeachment. Also, a member is automatically expelled if they miss three votes on Legislation in a row and/or they don't give substantive debate in the Assembly for one month.

Speaking of this, it would seem that Hamilton has missed the last three final votes on Legislation - the Northeastern Green Jobs Act, the Northeast Gun Safety Act and the Reasonable Amending Procedure Amendment. Of course, he did vote on the final vote of the Resolution in Support of Cape Wind, however generally speaking, Resolutions do not constitute legislation, as I mentioned in the Governor's thread.

If the House moved for his expulsion under section xiii of Article V of the Constitution, he would no doubt appeal this ruling, which would leave the Court to determine the definition of "Legislation."

Section xiii of Article V reads:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would argue that breaking the ToS of the forum, as well as other clear indications of inappropriate actions would warrant impeachment easily enough.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 01:55:53 AM »

We do have the power of impeachment. Also, a member is automatically expelled if they miss three votes on Legislation in a row and/or they don't give substantive debate in the Assembly for one month.

Speaking of this, it would seem that Hamilton has missed the last three final votes on Legislation - the Northeastern Green Jobs Act, the Northeast Gun Safety Act and the Reasonable Amending Procedure Amendment. Of course, he did vote on the final vote of the Resolution in Support of Cape Wind, however generally speaking, Resolutions do not constitute legislation, as I mentioned in the Governor's thread.

If the House moved for his expulsion under section xiii of Article V of the Constitution, he would no doubt appeal this ruling, which would leave the Court to determine the definition of "Legislation."

I would argue that breaking the ToS of the forum, as well as other clear indications of inappropriate actions would warrant impeachment easily enough.

Yet you voted for benconstine... He not only broke the ToS, but tried to cheat the game.

Get out of here you hypocrite (and terrible GM).

And benconstine was repentant, convicted and served his time. You seem thoroughly convinced that you did nothing wrong...

If you could clear something up for me Hammy, have you had a nervous breakdown from a game or do you simply get a kick out of creating alternative personalities? I was amused at first, but now I am pretty bored with the display. There is only so long that I can enjoy watching a person crumble in a blaze of loathing and stupidity.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 02:01:38 AM »

Yet you voted for benconstine... He not only broke the ToS, but tried to cheat the game.

And benconstine was repentant, convicted and served his time. You seem thoroughly convinced that you did nothing wrong...

If you could clear something up for me Hammy, have you had a nervous breakdown from a game or do you simply get a kick out of creating alternative personalities? I was amused at first, but now I am pretty bored with the display. There is only so long that I can enjoy watching a person crumble in a blaze of loathing and stupidity.

benconstine committed a crime. I have not broken any laws. You are just mad because I used swingvoter to make fun of you.

Swing Voter made fun of me? I don't know if I'm just blanking or didn't see them, but now I'm curious. Please link me to the threads in question so I can enjoy the mockery.

Honestly, I hope you don't really think I get upset when a member of this forum makes fun of me. I don't mind the occasional praise, but really, it's an internet game. I'm much too invested in real life to care whether someone pokes fun at me over these info-tubes.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 02:09:35 AM »

benconstine committed a crime. I have not broken any laws. You are just mad because I used swingvoter to make fun of you.

Swing Voter made fun of me? I don't know if I'm just blanking or didn't see them, but now I'm curious. Please link me to the threads in question so I can enjoy the mockery.

The entire persona was making fun of you. The RPP caught on (private forum discussions show that they thought he was YOUR sock lol).

Similar name, New York, fake "centrist" Moderate Hero type that was obviously a far-leftist, hyper-partisan, always acts like he's right. It was pretty clearly intended to mock you.

That being said, the PMs posted show that I had no intention of registering the account and with that, I have done nothing wrong related to this game.

*shrug*
Over my head. I don't follow forum affairs closely enough to catch on to these sorts of things. Life and all that stuff, ya know.

I know you had no intention of registering in Atlasia. That was never my point. You broke the ToS, are a detriment to this game and an embarrassment to this body and so it is fitting that this body impeach you. End of story as far as I am concerned.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 09:00:09 PM »

Anything in specific that the NE Assembly would like from the GM?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 09:38:18 PM »

education healthcare crime family incomes and jobs

I can't actually provide you with those things, but I can write an analysis on them. What, in particular, would you like for some of them? Employment is already done here. I can do education if that is a priority for the region. Health care is more national at this point, but I can provide figures if you have specific ones in mind.

I'm personally waiting on the diesel tax differential analysis.  By law, we're going to have to phase out highway tolls and replace them with a gas tax in the upcoming year.

If you tell me what you're planning, I can definitely do this. I have a fair idea of what you're referring to (a tax to bring diesel and gasoline consumption to parity) and I assume this is what you would like to respond to? So you're asking how much diesel fuel taxes should increase to equate it with the tax that will be levied on gasoline?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 10:45:36 PM »

If you tell me what you're planning, I can definitely do this. I have a fair idea of what you're referring to (a tax to bring diesel and gasoline consumption to parity) and I assume this is what you would like to respond to? So you're asking how much diesel fuel taxes should increase to equate it with the tax that will be levied on gasoline?

Yes.  The question is if we raise non-agricultural diesel taxes by an amount, say 1 cent more per gallon than unleaded gasoline taxes, would we get an equal amount in revenue?

For example:
FY2010: Gasoline 2.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 3.1 cents (instead of all at 2.6 cents)
FY2011: Gasoline 5.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 6.1 cents (instead of all at 5.6 cents)
FY2012: Gasoline 8.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 9.1 cents (instead of all at 8.6 cents)
FY2013: Gasoline 11.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 12.1 cents (instead of all at 11.6 cents)
FY2014: Gasoline 14.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 15.1 cents (instead of all at 14.6 cents)

Or does the differential need to be a bit higher or lower?

Many US states have differentials to make trucks pay a bit more - which makes some sense since larger vehicles tend to cause more wear and tear to the roads.

Are you looking for equal revenue or parity in use? Because diesel engines provide more miles per gallon, so you would want to tax them more to ensure you are taxing driving, rather than fuel consumption. It would take quite a bit more than that to achieve equal revenue. I can include all of this in an analysis so you can make your own decisions.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 01:44:21 AM »

Yes.  The question is if we raise non-agricultural diesel taxes by an amount, say 1 cent more per gallon than unleaded gasoline taxes, would we get an equal amount in revenue?

For example:
FY2010: Gasoline 2.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 3.1 cents (instead of all at 2.6 cents)
FY2011: Gasoline 5.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 6.1 cents (instead of all at 5.6 cents)
FY2012: Gasoline 8.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 9.1 cents (instead of all at 8.6 cents)
FY2013: Gasoline 11.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 12.1 cents (instead of all at 11.6 cents)
FY2014: Gasoline 14.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 15.1 cents (instead of all at 14.6 cents)

Or does the differential need to be a bit higher or lower?

Many US states have differentials to make trucks pay a bit more - which makes some sense since larger vehicles tend to cause more wear and tear to the roads.

Are you looking for equal revenue or parity in use? Because diesel engines provide more miles per gallon, so you would want to tax them more to ensure you are taxing driving, rather than fuel consumption. It would take quite a bit more than that to achieve equal revenue. I can include all of this in an analysis so you can make your own decisions.
I'm looking for equal revenue.

Technically, we're supposed to vote on whatever the commission concludes - so we really can't make our own decision.

Because the report's recommendations doesn't include a diesel tax, the NE Assembly could always amend it in or pass it separately.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »

I modify my proposition to strike "class" work at all

"Socioeconomic status" is the going term. Perhaps someone would like to replace "class," an ambiguous term that only fosters class warfare, with the more common and more appropriate term.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 01:08:33 AM »

FTR, I've been on mod review before and haven't done anything to warrant it again (or else I'd be on it, obviously).

While on mod review, I was able to get many racist posts approved that were deleted  by another mod later. So I'm not sure that system, is very worthwhile.

In other words, you're saying that you should be banned.  Gotcha.

No, I'm saying the moderators are either A. approving posts that shouldn't be or B. deleting posts that shouldn't be. Either way the mods suck.

I don't see what a ban would do.

A ban would make sure that neither option A nor option B occur. It is a perfect solution.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 01:19:29 AM »

FTR, I've been on mod review before and haven't done anything to warrant it again (or else I'd be on it, obviously).

While on mod review, I was able to get many racist posts approved that were deleted  by another mod later. So I'm not sure that system, is very worthwhile.

In other words, you're saying that you should be banned.  Gotcha.

No, I'm saying the moderators are either A. approving posts that shouldn't be or B. deleting posts that shouldn't be. Either way the mods suck.

I don't see what a ban would do.

A ban would make sure that neither option A nor option B occur. It is a perfect solution.

Everyone knows I'd come back.

So? If someone is a frequent shoplifter, but tells me that if I call the police he will come back and shoplift twice as much after he gets out of jail, it won't stop me from calling the police.

If you are banned, you will either come back Ogis-style and be banned very quickly or you will come back Ogis 2-style and behave yourself while flying under the radar. Either option is preferable to the status quo. This whole thing is an interesting deterrence-style game theory problem.

The order of the forum's preferences is: a) Ban, b) Ban and return under the radar, c) Ban and make a mess, d) status quo. So a>b>c>d.

Your order of preferences is, I presume: d>c>b>a.

So it looks like the equilibrium point is "c," where you will be banned and will make a mess and be re-banned. The only question is how close the forum's preferences are to Dave's. So far, they look more like yours, or maybe even a>b>d>c, which still comes out with status quo (d) as equilibrium. We will see what happens.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 01:30:33 AM »

Nothing will happen, and you're irrelevant opinion won't be making an impact, thankfully, for the forum's sake. This place needs me.

I don't think my opinion will impact the judgement of the mods or Dave. I never implied that, nor would I ever think of doing so.

As for the forum needing you, I can only laugh. You contribute almost nothing substantive to the game or the forum at-large. Maybe you can turn out numbers, but in terms of quality you actually detract from the overall experience here. The frequent purging of your posts from Atlasia has been quite nice actually. In anything, this place needs to be rid of you.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies