Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:16:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 159 160 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377438 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3850 on: May 24, 2011, 08:20:33 PM »

I will admit that I did not expect to win, and did not take my responsibilities seriously upon my election. That was very wrong of me, and I apologize to the Assembly for that, especially homelycooking, who I know worked very hard to reform the region. I have since changed and truly want to attempt to serve the Northeast Region. Hell, I even moved to the NE in an attempt to disperse the controversy.

I appreciate your apology very much, Giovanni, and I accept it. But considering that you are the Assembly's member from the "Carpetbaggers United Front", I must still question your sincerity. Have you really changed, or are you still a "Carpetbagger" at heart?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #3851 on: May 24, 2011, 08:25:36 PM »

It is very good of you to admit that and I welcome you to the region when you're move ttakes effect but surely you don't take it personal that I want the Constitution to be followed?

Of course I do not take it personally that you are wrongly interpreting the Constitution. Smiley

I will admit that I did not expect to win, and did not take my responsibilities seriously upon my election. That was very wrong of me, and I apologize to the Assembly for that, especially homelycooking, who I know worked very hard to reform the region. I have since changed and truly want to attempt to serve the Northeast Region. Hell, I even moved to the NE in an attempt to disperse the controversy.

I appreciate your apology very much, Giovanni, and I accept it. But considering that you are the Assembly's member from the "Carpetbaggers United Front", I must still question your sincerity. Have you really changed, or are you still a "Carpetbagger" at heart?

That was an attempt at creating a joke party. I didn't intend for it to go anywhere. You may have noticed while studying the region's legislative history that I am a former NE Assembly member for two terms before 'retiring' to the Midwest. The NE has actually been the only region where I served in government.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3852 on: May 25, 2011, 02:38:42 PM »

Final vote for Parks and Recreation.

AYE
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3853 on: May 25, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »

Aye throw my hands up in the air sometimes saying aaaaay-o...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3854 on: May 25, 2011, 07:40:29 PM »

Aye
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3855 on: May 25, 2011, 09:14:25 PM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3856 on: May 26, 2011, 02:49:04 PM »

The Northeast Parks and Recreation Act passes 4-0.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3857 on: May 26, 2011, 04:36:24 PM »

I will abstain from future votes on legislation in this term unless Giovanni's votes are counted and the Speaker of the Assembly recognizes that member as an Assemblyman.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3858 on: May 26, 2011, 05:03:34 PM »

I will abstain from future votes on legislation in this term unless Giovanni's votes are counted and the Speaker of the Assembly recognizes that member as an Assemblyman.

He missed three legislative votes so there is no longer a constitutional debate. Were he ever a member would not be resolved as the constitution is crystal clear here. Giovanni hasn't voted since I said his votes would not count. I was trying to get wormyguy to count Giovanni's votes so I would have standing to sue wormyguy but this is no longer possible. In fact, Earl also missed three votes on passing legislation and forfeits his seat.

I maintain that I have broken no laws.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3859 on: May 26, 2011, 08:03:57 PM »

He missed three legislative votes so there is no longer a constitutional debate. Were he ever a member would not be resolved as the constitution is crystal clear here. Giovanni hasn't voted since I said his votes would not count. I was trying to get wormyguy to count Giovanni's votes so I would have standing to sue wormyguy but this is no longer possible. In fact, Earl also missed three votes on passing legislation and forfeits his seat.

I maintain that I have broken no laws.

Three votes or three consecutive votes without posting a leave of absence?   That matters - a lot.  When did the last missed vote take place?

Any Northeast citizen should have standing to sue over the election certification.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3860 on: May 26, 2011, 08:16:13 PM »

Three consecutive votes on legislation were missed.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3861 on: May 26, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »

When was the last vote missed by both Assemblymen? 

I will have to hold a special election to fill the seats.  The question is whether that's tonight or next week.  It might be next week anyway because of the lack of time to give notice.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3862 on: May 26, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »

I will have to hold a special election to fill the seats.  The question is whether that's tonight or next week.  It might be next week anyway because of the lack of time to give notice.

The Northeast Parks and Recreation Act that passed today.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3863 on: May 26, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »

Thanks.  I'll double-check that.  If you are correct, we will hold a special election to fill the seats next week.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3864 on: May 26, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »

Thanks.  I'll double-check that.  If you are correct, we will hold a special election to fill the seats next week.

If it helps, there was a vote to pass the SRC that was 1-0 followed by a vote to pass it over the governor's veto that was 4-0.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3865 on: May 26, 2011, 09:14:42 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2011, 09:16:24 PM by La cocina fea »

Giovanni ought to be called by his rightful title up until the point that he is expelled from the Assembly by an official decision. To you, Napoleon, it might be clear that his presence in the Assembly is unwarranted and illegal, but to me it is not, and, as far as I'm concerned, the judgment of the people (the certification of Giovanni's election) holds until it is officially overruled.

If it helps, there was a vote to pass the SRC that was 1-0 followed by a vote to pass it over the governor's veto that was 4-0.

Napoleon, that vote lasted twelve minutes. The SOAP mandates a 24-hour voting period.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3866 on: May 26, 2011, 10:18:19 PM »

Every vote was held for 24 hours. This has been consistent.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3867 on: May 26, 2011, 10:23:01 PM »

Also, in one case he stated his intention to vote during the debate, followed by your declaration that you would not count his vote.  That seems highly irregular to me.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3868 on: May 26, 2011, 10:26:56 PM »

I'm going to have to go back and look at the thread.  For starters, I don't think we've viewed veto overrides as votes on legislation because of the simultaneous tracking in the SOAP.  In general, we've very liberally interpreted the three consecutive vote provisions lest run out of people wishing to run for Assembly.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3869 on: May 26, 2011, 10:35:38 PM »

I'm going to have to go back and look at the thread.  For starters, I don't think we've viewed veto overrides as votes on legislation because of the simultaneous tracking in the SOAP.  In general, we've very liberally interpreted the three consecutive vote provisions lest run out of people wishing to run for Assembly.

I'd be inclined to agree if it were considered a motion to veto an override but the constitution makes reference to "previously vetoed legislation" which designates it is indeed legislation. I believe that would make it qualify as a third consecutive vote.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3870 on: May 27, 2011, 09:50:49 AM »

I think that several other members of the current assembly (Earl and possibly Sbane) have also missed three consecutive votes at one point.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3871 on: May 27, 2011, 11:19:06 AM »

Sorry, Napoleon, you're right. The SRC vote was held open for a day and twelve minutes. I'm an idiot and misread the timestamp.

If people need to be expelled because of the three-vote rule, so be it. We shouldn't let too much inactivity slip by. But Napoleon, you could have done more by notifying Assemblymen of upcoming votes. It often might be the case that many Assemblymen miss a vote because they aren't online in that strict 24 hour period, forget to check the Assembly the one time they are online, etc.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3872 on: May 27, 2011, 11:38:44 AM »

Jeez I'm the Speaker, not a babysitter. I should not be held responsible for the activity of others.

Wormy, this is the first time three consecutive votes have been missed. You can think that all you want but you'll be wrong.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3873 on: May 27, 2011, 05:54:36 PM »

I'd be inclined to agree if it were considered a motion to veto an override but the constitution makes reference to "previously vetoed legislation" which designates it is indeed legislation. I believe that would make it qualify as a third consecutive vote.

Yeah, that's what the Constitution seems to say about vetoes. 

I will verify your vote count, but it does sound accurate.  If so, we will be holding elections for two vacant Assembly seats next week.  Current seat holders are welcome to run for their old seats - though I might have to visit the whether a non-Northeast resident can hold a Northeast Assembly seat if he wins.  I honestly haven't given it much independent thought, hoping for a court case.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3874 on: May 28, 2011, 10:47:14 AM »

Jeez I'm the Speaker, not a babysitter. I should not be held responsible for the activity of others.

You would not be held responsible for others' inactivity. I only proposed the vote notification amendment to SOAP so that turnout for votes would be higher. There is no language in that amendment which holds the Speaker liable for any member's non-participation, regardless of whether a PM is sent or not.

This was introduced in hopes of decreasing the necessity of expelling members for three missed votes, a constructive measure aimed at making that punishment more fitting for the crime. I did not mean it to be a burden for the Speaker, nor do I believe it would be if adopted.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 159 160 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies