Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:45:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 381418 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3750 on: May 22, 2011, 09:25:55 AM »

I echo the governor's concerns, and would oppose an override.

Giovanni, why don't you take a few minutes and read the report? The SRC spent a lot of time on that, and it's rather insulting to see people oppose it because it's long and they're too lazy to read it and understand the changes the report makes.

In regards to the Northeast parks and recreation act, I cannot support taking away user fees from parks. We need to fund those parks somehow, whether it is through user fees or through taxes. I strongly feel that those who are actually using the parks should at least pay for a part of the costs.

User fees are not completely taken away, though they are reduced significantly (assuming most of the visitors to our parks are NE residents). We'd have to determine how our parks are currently being paid for and whether admission fees are sufficient for their maintainance.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3751 on: May 22, 2011, 10:37:46 PM »

In regards to the Northeast parks and recreation act, I cannot support taking away user fees from parks. We need to fund those parks somehow, whether it is through user fees or through taxes. I strongly feel that those who are actually using the parks should at least pay for a part of the costs.

User fees are not completely taken away, though they are reduced significantly (assuming most of the visitors to our parks are NE residents). We'd have to determine how our parks are currently being paid for and whether admission fees are sufficient for their maintainance.

I can see why we might want to make entry fees higher for non-residents, but I still don't think we should take away all user fees for residents. They should also help pay for the parks, but they can pay less since they are also paying taxes which go towards the operation of parks as well.

Also keep in mind that while some popular parks near the cities might be able to get enough money from non-residents to pay all of it's costs, I doubt that will be the case in more remote parks which might be protecting very important habitats. The user fees from the more popular parks also help support parks that might not get as many visitors.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3752 on: May 22, 2011, 10:53:01 PM »

Northeasterners should be allowed to view the natural beauty found in many state and regional parks free of cost. I don't have too much of a problem finding a way to parks other than user fees, which probably don't come close to covering costs anyway.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3753 on: May 22, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »

Please note that all regionally-owned unimproved land has been transferred back to the original indigenous tribes under the "Un-Stealing Act," signed here.  Therefore your current debate over user fees is moot.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3754 on: May 22, 2011, 11:01:31 PM »

Is there a record of the executive actually doing such a thing?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3755 on: May 22, 2011, 11:05:53 PM »

Is there a record of the executive actually doing such a thing?

Yes, he signed the bill, as I pointed out earlier.

If you're referring to the implementation of the act in question, the text of it says:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Key word is "immediately" - as in, "as soon as this bill becomes law."  It therefore has already happened.  By signing the bill, the governor implied that he meant to implement it - it would be ridiculous if the governor had to make two posts for every bill, one to sign and one to implement.  If that were the case, I believe there would have been absolutely nothing accomplished by the NE government in its entire history...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3756 on: May 22, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »

It is perfectly legitimate for me to believe that this law has not been executed and therefore has not done any transfer of lands. The governor has the authority to execute laws after exercising his ability to sign them. However, with no executive order issued, we still own these lands.

I disagree with the premise of the legislation and find it unconstitutional for it to be considered policy as our Assembly only legislates and we have no executive authority whatsoever. I will be requesting a CJO injunction.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3757 on: May 22, 2011, 11:13:19 PM »

Are you seriously claiming that the assembly has no power to sell, purchase, or transfer anything?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3758 on: May 23, 2011, 01:04:32 AM »

As Lt. Governor, I hereby cast the tie-breaking vote in favor of the Un-Stealing Bill.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3759 on: May 23, 2011, 01:06:34 AM »

As Lt. Governor, I hereby cast the tie-breaking vote in favor of the Un-Stealing Bill.

That legislation is no longer in session so I'm afraid you're too late.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3760 on: May 23, 2011, 01:08:16 AM »

There is no time limit specified in the constitution as to when the Lt. Governor may cast a tie-breaking vote.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3761 on: May 23, 2011, 01:10:23 AM »

There is no time limit specified in the constitution as to when the Lt. Governor may cast a tie-breaking vote.

Legislation does not carry over from session to session. The Lt. Governor as the constitutional presiding offeicer of the Assembly, is unable to cast votes on legislation that is from a previous session after multiple new ones have come and gone. Nice try though.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3762 on: May 23, 2011, 01:12:36 AM »

Legislation does not carry over from session to session. The Lt. Governor as the constitutional presiding offeicer of the Assembly, is unable to cast votes on legislation that is from a previous session after multiple new ones have come and gone. Nice try though.

Says who?  Certainly not the Northeast Constitution.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3763 on: May 23, 2011, 01:16:42 AM »

SOAP buddy.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3764 on: May 23, 2011, 01:22:09 AM »

I don't see anything in the SOAP that would prevent the Lt. Gov. from breaking a tie at a late point.  In any case, if you really want to go down that road, the SOAP says that the Lt. Governor must certify bills as having passed, and you may find me a rather unwilling partner.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3765 on: May 23, 2011, 01:30:33 AM »

That would be a poor strategy given that it is guaranteed to backfire.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3766 on: May 23, 2011, 01:33:36 AM »

Okay, now that we've cleared up that there's nothing preventing me from casting my tie-breaking vote, onwards to the governor's desk!  I, as Lt. Governor, hereby certify the Un-Stealing Act as having passed.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3767 on: May 23, 2011, 02:08:58 AM »

Are all state parks "unimproved" lands? What if they have hiking trails and visitor centers? Did we just give away whatever wilderness that is left in the Northeast?

And I guess it's about time we got rid of our wilderness. It's such a waste of space. I am sure Native Americans of the 1600s would have felt the same way. Roll Eyes
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3768 on: May 23, 2011, 02:17:07 AM »

As usual, jumping right over the top of the sublime and going straight for the ridiculous.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3769 on: May 23, 2011, 07:52:21 AM »

TIME OUT.

Everyone just shut up for a second.

What just happened here?!?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3770 on: May 23, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »

Jake, it looks to me like wormyguy, during the debate over user fees in the Parks and Recreation Act, pulled up this old bill which, if legally passed, would have transferred all unimproved lands to the Native tribes that originally lived upon them. It looks like the worst piece of legislation I've ever seen come out of the Northeast, and it should be nullified if it was improperly passed.

But if it was properly passed, then there isn't a lot we can do. That bill transferred all of the Northeast's unimproved lands to the Native tribes - who knows if that was actually implemented or accomplished, given the massive legal and logistical headache that would cause. But by repealing the bill, the NE government would be retaking millions of square miles from the Natives without compensation.

I'm really pissed off that we're even talking about this. We have to clean up the mess left behind by a bunch of legislative flunkies who didn't give a rat's ass about good public policy. I appreciate that wormy brought it to the Assembly's attention, but not the spiteful manner in which he did so.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3771 on: May 23, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »

Ay caramba...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3772 on: May 23, 2011, 04:05:40 PM »

Vote to override veto on SRC report is now going.
AYE
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3773 on: May 23, 2011, 04:25:46 PM »

Aye
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3774 on: May 23, 2011, 04:31:59 PM »

If the native tribes that originally lived on them have been wiped out, what would happen to the land?  How would claims by multiple tribes be settled.

Fear not!  A story from the SoIA's Office is a'comin'!
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies